Why don't the players protest? (1 Viewer)

lewys33

My friend raised a valid point whilst on the hill on Tuesday night.

The easiest way to force a return would not be for 0 fans to turn up at Sixfields, but surely if the players refused to play until a deal was in place to return that would maybe force a move?

Would they do it? Would they possibly want to do it but not feel brave enough?

Speedies_Chips

Absolute non-starter. They are under contract to play for Coventry City FC, wherever that may be. SISU dont need much of an excuse to sue people.

letsallsingtogether

Yes funny how Carl Baker has been treated since speaking out?
From captain to not even a squad player strange.
Absolute non-starter. They are under contract to play for Coventry City FC, wherever that may be. SISU dont need much of an excuse to sue people.

lewys33

If all players did it they would sack/sue the lot of them? I dont believe that.

Foreign team players have done similar things.

lewys33

Pointless comment never ever happen close thread

It was a question that you answered with your valued opinion. You know you can return to the ACL vs. SISU threads without commenting again if you like? It doesn't need to be closed.

mds

If all players did it they would sack/sue the lot of them? I dont believe that.

Foreign team players have done similar things.
More fines, more embargo`s, more points reductions.

No more Coventry City

LB87ccfc

It was a question that you answered with your valued opinion. You know you can return to the ACL vs. SISU threads without commenting again if you like? It doesn't need to be closed.

But Lewys33 mate, surely even you could of said to your friend, unfortunately it would be a breach of contract and quite simple none of them are going to kick up a fuss and put their contracts at risk just because they have to play a game they get paid to play is in a different location than it should be.

Comon Pal

lewys33

But Lewys33 mate, surely even you could of said to your friend, unfortunately it would be a breach of contract and quite simple none of them are going to kick up a fuss and put their contracts at risk just because they have to play a game they get paid to play is in a different location than it should be.

Comon Pal

I understand that it may be a breach of contract, but if all the players stood together and said sort something out, I think it would work.

Rusty Trombone

Maybe instead of going on strike they could just play poorly, defend like amatuers, not be able to pass properly.......hang on a minute, some of these players have been protesting for ages.

lewys33

Maybe there would be a way around the contract. Maybe they could go on to the pitch but not play.

RoboCCFC90

Is it last year one of the Spanish teams lined up on the pitch after kick off and refused to go after the game during protest, eventually the game got abandoned?

I doubt you'd see any of the players do that to be honest, if they did I am not sure what affect it would have.

lewys33

Is it last year one of the Spanish teams lined up on the pitch after kick off and refused to go after the game during protest, eventually the game got abandoned?

I doubt you'd see any of the players do that to be honest, if they did I am not sure what affect it would have.

I cant remember who it was but I heard something similar. May have to get on google!

I would imagine the players would be fined. Would that help with our FFP budget? Another pro ;)

Rusty Trombone

Maybe there would be a way around the contract. Maybe they could go on to the pitch but not play.

Do you think they are really that bothered? As long as the wages are being paid they will trot out onto the pitch, play in any position or formation asked.

Didn't see the half time comments on Sky, did ex player and Cov fan Callum Wilson make any comments on Sky about the situation?

lewys33

Do you think they are really that bothered? As long as the wages are being paid they will trot out onto the pitch, play in any position or formation asked.

Didn't see the half time comments on Sky, did ex player and Cov fan Callum Wilson make any comments on Sky about the situation?

Probably not. It would be nice if they were. A few of the new players have mentioned playing at the Ricoh though.

Sky Blue Dal

Pointless comment never ever happen close thread

He is entitled to ask these questions as its on topic and relates to the Sky Blues.... Please do not dictate whether the thread should be closed.. that is for the administrator to decide.

This is a valid and fair question.

You may not know but player protests do happen. Its more common than you think.

Covstu

I think its what every player would want (why wouldnt they) but i guess it isnt as life or death as it is for the fans.

Gint11

The most rediculous suggestion I have heard in a long time for 2 reasons. 1) They are under contract and can be sued against a breach. 2) why would they? Coventry City isn't in their hearts, they are paid thousands a week to play a game. Yes they would prefer to play in a sexy 32k stadium than a garden shed but they are still living a high life as a footballer.

LB87ccfc

The most rediculous suggestion I have heard in a long time for 2 reasons. 1) They are under contract and can be sued against a breach. 2) why would they? Coventry City isn't in their hearts, they are paid thousands a week to play a game. Yes they would prefer to play in a sexy 32k stadium than a garden shed but they are still living a high life as a footballer.

Totally agreed, hit the nail on the head.

LB87ccfc

He is entitled to ask these questions as its on topic and relates to the Sky Blues.... Please do not dictate whether the thread should be closed.. that is for the administrator to decide.

This is a valid and fair question.

You may not know but player protests do happen. Its more common than you think.

I know it happens, but this would never in a million years happen with us... simple really, so therefore, the question is valid but ridiculous to think our squad would do it.

CCFC PimpRail

Why do you think ccfc are in the third tier...? It is quite easy to play "not very well" to show up a manager and force him to get sacked, and nothing is said to them. But I do think sisu would be in dangerous waters by paying them late, it seems no matter what the state of the club finances, excessive players wages still get paid.

I think the only way round it is for a wage cap, perhaps like the NFL where the team can afford a few that are more highly paid, but the overall team cost is limited. The whole situation where a fan has to scrimp and save to afford a season ticket when the underperforming dancing monkeys on the pitch walk away every week with a wheelbarrow full of cash for having a "talent" that'd get them nowhere else in life is ridiculous.

lewys33

So everyone who goes on strike gets sued?

Sky Blue Dal

If they work for Sisu, they quite probably would be sued.

Can they sue every single player who protest.. like say if 8 players showed solidarity and protested. I believe there is nothing in law to say they don't have a right to protest.
Taking it to court will just involve the PFA who are pretty wealthy bunch. Doubt SISU can take them on thanks to Jimmy Hill.

skyblueinBaku

Can they sue every single player who protest.. like say if 8 players showed solidarity and protested. I believe there is nothing in law to say they don't have a right to protest.
Taking it to court will just involve the PFA who are pretty wealthy bunch. Doubt SISU can take them on thanks to Jimmy Hill.

I suppose it depends on what is in a footballers contract. Maybe strike action is not allowed unless it is an official action of the PFA. I don't know, and I don't want to enter the quagmire of employment law!

Colin1883

My friend raised a valid point whilst on the hill on Tuesday night.

The easiest way to force a return would not be for 0 fans to turn up at Sixfields, but surely if the players refused to play until a deal was in place to return that would maybe force a move?

Would they do it? Would they possibly want to do it but not feel brave enough?

Based on their performances so far this season..

They have refused to play...

Rationalizer

If the players and manager had been united with the fans being opposed to the move to Northampton then they should have shown solidarity and opposed the move last season.

It is too late now as many of the players have signed over the last year and knew what they were agreeing, playing at Northampton. The younger players are eager to start their careers so they want to play and don't want to be seen as troublemakers.

Pressley did show some backbone when at Hearts but suffered as a result, unfortunately he is compliant with SISU governance.

Modern players are more concerned about their money and themselves than long term for the club they represent, that is true in the majority of cases.

Gint11

So everyone who goes on strike gets sued?

Didn't say that. I said they could be if they breach their contracts. And also you would find the club as well would be punished i.e points deductions etc

lewys33

Didn't say that. I said they could be if they breach their contracts. And also you would find the club as well would be punished i.e points deductions etc

They wouldn't be sued. Fact. I could imagine they may well be fined by the club. I wouldn't imagine the club would get a points deduction either. It would be a forfeit and a fine from the FL I would assume. Depending on how many games were disrupted etc.

I imagine this idea is too late anyway, as there is the possibility of talks happening right now, and with practically a whole new team coming in who knew the circumstances they probably wouldn't do anything like this. It would have had to have happened at the start of last season. Last season I would have took guaranteed relegation to return home. That is just my view though.

Nice to see some are more concerned about fulfilling our fixtures than returning home though. Sounds awfully familiar ;)

Users who are viewing this thread