Why Did The Council Sell To Wasps? (2 Viewers)

Ashdown

Be be honest I don't think it was Fisher's words that made the gate drop so dramatically. I just think people wanted to be at that first game back.

Still don't think selling to Wasps was "understandable".

I meant the spite was understandable not the decision.

torchomatic

Sky Blue Kid

@ Ashdown....Thank you for affirming(In your post #101) my post from a couple of days ago, which was sarcastically replied too and basically called me a liar.

torchomatic

What were you "basically called a liar" about?

@ Ashdown....Thank you for affirming(In your post #101) my post from a couple of days ago, which was sarcastically replied too and basically called me a liar.

covcity4life

images

duffer

Not really much to add to what ChiefDave's said to all this. As an article it's a cheap piece of PR without an awkward question in there. Three questions:

Why were we (and the club) told that time was needed to rebuild trust with the club with regard to buying the ground, when the deal to Wasps was already well under way?

Why wasn't the same deal made available to the club (regardless of Fisher's public statements, can you imagine the public pressure SISU would've faced!), or even better ACL/Ricoh put on the open market to obtain the best value for the taxpayer?

Why are we continuing to risk taxpayer money by lending to ACL (a loss-making enterprise), now owned 100% by Wasps (a loss-making enterprise)?

Who will be held to account for the glaring but convenient errors in assessing ACL's profitability at the time of the original bailout - is a weak apology sufficient for a mistake that puts the taxpayer on the hook to the tune of £14.4m?

OK, that's four questions, possibly five. And straight off the top of my head. A journalist with an interest in the case would presumably be able to do much, much better.

Godiva

A journalist with an interest in the case would presumably be able to do much, much better.

I can think of two journalists ... well, one journalist and one reporter ... who has interests in the case, but actually I believe a journalist with no prior knowledge would be able to do much, much better.

torchomatic

Nah, you're alright, not that bothered really.

How about you "Basically" check it out for yourself. I'm sure a clever man such as yourself can do that..Can't he?

torchomatic

I'm surprised that the CT would post something as blatantly one-sided. If it had been Reid...

I can think of two journalists ... well, one journalist and one reporter ... who has interests in the case, but actually I believe a journalist with no prior knowledge would be able to do much, much better.

skybluetony176

I see your point with Simon Gilbert but David Conn is pretty independent, he certainly has no affiliation to CCC, CCFC or SISU so probably about as balanced a journalist as you could get on our situation.

torchomatic

OK, we know they "lean" towards one side, but christ the article is so one-sided. Usually Simon comes on here to defend articles, etc but not this time...

Really???

fernandopartridge

I see your point with Simon Gilbert but David Conn is pretty independent, he certainly has no affiliation to CCC, CCFC or SISU so probably about as balanced a journalist as you could get on our situation.

Yet as far as I'm aware he's never actually interviewed any of the parties involved himself

The Gentleman

Think he got some quotes from Fisher I think In his last piece on us
Around how the deal Wasps did Is unviable and why CCFC couldn't do It IIRC

What!!! you mean someone spoke/interviewed Fisher and the silver tongued devil couldn't persuade him it was all the Councils fault. Thank the lord he didn't speak to Joy as well.

egastap

Why did the Council sell to Wasps?

That's an easy one. Wasps were the only potential purchasers around. Remember those famous Timmie words "we are not interested in purchasing the Ricoh, we have every intention of building our own arena in the Coventry area." Given that, what would any sane person do? (or in this case, group of individuals, namely the ENTIRE COUNCIL, no matter what their political persuasion.) I read with a bit of a chuckle the anti-Council people on this forum......no need to name them as everyone knows who they are.....but it gives me a buzz when I read their viewpoints. And I say that as someone really far removed (3,500 miles ) from the politicking. I must miss the British humour. Ah well, I guess everyone is allowed their opinions, and free to air them, aren't they?

lordsummerisle

Why did the Council sell to Wasps?

That's an easy one. Wasps were the only potential purchasers around. Remember those famous Timmie words "we are not interested in purchasing the Ricoh, we have every intention of building our own arena in the Coventry area." Given that, what would any sane person do? (or in this case, group of individuals, namely the ENTIRE COUNCIL, no matter what their political persuasion.) I read with a bit of a chuckle the anti-Council people on this forum......no need to name them as everyone knows who they are.....but it gives me a buzz when I read their viewpoints. And I say that as someone really far removed (3,500 miles ) from the politicking. I must miss the British humour. Ah well, I guess everyone is allowed their opinions, and free to air them, aren't they?

Apparently only 9% of ACL income was football related, which, ( particularly when you take off any associated costs with the club being there) meant there was absolutely no need to be in a rush to sell ACL on the cheap.

italiahorse

Apparently only 9% of ACL income was football related, which, ( particularly when you take off any associated costs with the club being there) meant there was absolutely no need to be in a rush to sell ACL on the cheap.

Unless Wasps set a deadline ?

stupot07

Not if you want someone in the stadium. Sisu were not interested as TF confirmed later.

We were already in the stadium apparently in the process of "rebuilding relationships"

TF speaks the truth, when it suits

What would wasps have done anyway? Move up the M6 and buy villa park? Or perhaps old Trafford under a rental deal, hoping to get access to " incremental revenues"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

italiahorse

We were already in the stadium apparently in the process of "rebuilding relationships"

TF speaks the truth, when it suits

What would wasps have done anyway? Move up the M6 and buy villa park? Or perhaps old Trafford under a rental deal, hoping to get access to " incremental revenues"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

IMHO we only moved back because Sisu had knowledge of the deal.
Have you actually worked out what incremental revenues are ?

egastap

Who says they were in a 'rush'? After years of being harangued and harassed by SISU, I think they simply had just had enough! The only other opportunity in town was WASPS, and they struck a deal.....something which SISU could have done had they wished. As far as it being 'on the cheap', SISU didn't think it was 'on the cheap' else they would have bid on it a long time ago. So cheap it was, they valued it at next to nothing and tried to get it for that price through litigious means. No, they said it wasn't a good deal to spend over 5.7 million AND assume a 14 million loan......didn't they? They put in a tongue-in-cheek bid for ACL after the event, even after stating for the umpteenth time they were not interested in buying the Ricoh, that the ONLY solution was to build their own stadium. This will mean something in the order of 14 to 20 million to build.....just to get their hands on 'additional revenue streams' (and I'm not convinced how much additional revenue this would give them). Yet for the same money, they could have had the Ricoh and kept a larger fanbase as a result! I am so glad that none of my investments are handled by SISU Capital, as I would be royally pissed off at their incompetence with my money. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Remember ACL saying once we'd come back that they were going to "rebuild trust" before discussing ownership. They were already talking to Wasps at this point so not sure why they chose to say that.

EDIT: Just seen Godiva's post./

Bit like when the FL league were told we have to move to Northampton. There is no other choice.

Last edited:

Calista

Of course they could have turned it down - using capitals doesn't really create any substance to the argument.

Sorry about the caps - as you rightly say, they don’t add to the argument.

Everyone wanted our club to own the Ricoh, so we’re all on the same side. The differences are in whether you think SISU ever made a respectable attempt to buy it. I don’t think they ever did, and they made it crystal clear that they never intended to. That’s why I cannot criticise elected Councillors for voting unanimously to sell to Wasps and taking the benefits on offer for the city. I still think that with the right approach, it can be an opportunity for CCFC to be part of a very successful business. Not under current owners though.

Users who are viewing this thread