Why did anyone predict anything but a City defeat? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Not blowing my own trumpet here, but think there was a lot of misplaced optimism for this game, thinking we were going to win and not only win but there were predictions of 2 and 3 goals for us.

7 goals in 15 games (now 7 in 16) 8 straight defeats (now 9), no away win all season.

I predicted defeat and could see nothing else.

Remember, Leeds was just one game. One solitary game.

Exepct the knives out now tonight. Still baffled as to why we thought we were going to win. I would have been delighted with a draw.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
I guess we all just forgot how shit we are away from home, they had 4 very good chances and we had 2 half chances. That says it all really.

TheHellion

It says everything that even the Forest fans thought we would win this game. And it damn well should have been winnable. That was the best time for us to get our away win all season. Their home form is amongst the worst in this league. It may even be the worst full stop. Given that we got a pretty good result against Leeds, and with everything that has happened to Pompey surely we were well within our rights to think at the very least a point was there to be had today? If we're going to get out of this, then that is the way it has to be looked at.

Paxman II

That's all very well Otis but lets be fair we had the momentum going into this game and Forest are a very poor side.
We even showed we were better than them all over the park, yet frustratingly failed to create enough and get what looked at times an obvious goal. You could almost sense the home fans saying it was coming (as you do) but we somehow never made it happen?

That is where we lack a manager who can change it, inspire it and get the obvious result we looked more than capable of.
That for me is the frustrating thing of all and why we are where we are.
Psychologically of course that's a blow and we just gave Forest a leg up at our own expense.

Bloody annoying tbh.

Otis

That's all very well Otis but lets be fair we had the momentum going into this game and Forest are a very poor side.
We even showed we were better than them all over the park, yet frustratingly failed to create enough and get what looked at times an obvious goal. You could almost sense the home fans saying it was coming (as you do) but we somehow never made it happen?

That is where we lack a manager who can change it, inspire it and get the obvious result we looked more than capable of.
That for me is the frustrating thing of all and why we are where we are.
Psychologically of course that's a blow and we just gave Forest a leg up at our own expense.

Bloody annoying tbh.

Wouldn't blame Thorn too much today. The crosses were very poor all afternoon. That's not Thorn's fault.

ajsccfc

I'd imagine the Forest fans were more in a sense of self-loathing than actually believing in our chances. All of them in Glen mode.

Jarvo

No away win all seaon. It says it all really. Any player Ratings? Was Nimeley any good? Were the goals Murphys fault? How did Eastwood do when he came on?

Paxman II

Otis if EVER there was a game where you would think a better manager may have made the difference then that was it!

Otis

Murphy not to blame. Christie for the first one. 2nd one, the guy was totally unmarked.

Don't think the Forest keeper had a save to make.

Otis

Otis if EVER there was a game where you would think a better manager may have made the difference then that was it!

Well i think we should have attacked and gone for the throat. All looked a bit cautious to me.

Paxman II

the question is why were we unable to go for the throat on a day we looked the better side until they got a goal from nowhere?

Otis

We didn't throw caution to the wind that's why. Against Leeds we went all out for the win, all guns blazing in the 2nd half.

Blarr

Because some of us are cock-eyed optimists and genuinely believed that we could have it in us. Not necessarily because of our momentum or our talent, but because Forest have been very poor recently as well and we may have been able to just clinch it.

Otis

Maybe. I still had us down for defeat.

7 goals in 16 games away from home tells you everything you need to know.

Paxman II

The law of averages and sods law says that will change Otis...so you can't just state that as read. Today that law of average should have changed without doubt. As you say we needed to go for the win....we seemed to glide around like it was our right to score eventually.....but we didn't.

Otis

I will predict here and now that we will not win an away game all season and i wouldn't be surprised if we lose all of the remaining away fixtures left.

Last edited:

TheHellion

I will predict here and now that we will not win an away game all season and i wouldn't be surprised if we lose all of the remaining away fixtures next.

Sorry to say it but after today, I'm in agreement with this.

derbyskyblue

I will predict here and now that we will not win an away game all season and i wouldn't be surprised if we lose all of the remaining away fixtures left.

I must confess i thought we might get something today, but alas it looks like otis may be right.

Otis

Not pleased to be.

I was thinking the best we could hope for would be a draw. Doesn't matter how poor Forest are. As an away side, we are much worse.

Otis

Also, just look at the stats. We have scored a total of ONE goal in the last 6 away games. ONE goal.

We will lose every away game unless we change our approach and go out all guns blazing. We might as well lose 4-2 as 1-0.

ajsccfc

We need to fool our players into thinking they're playing at home in the remaining away games. Problem is that a lot of teams fill more than 40% of their ground so it's hard to duplicate.

Colonel Mustard

A lot of this was covered in the analysis of stats in the 'Interesting' thread.

The problem here is that this loss, just like the 'give Thorn a pat on the back' stuff', is merely a smokescreen. We can get into the details of whose crosses were crap, or where the subs went wrong, or who failed to give 100%, but it's all smoke.

We've been losing away all season. We're utterly predictable. We're as flat as a pancake. That's why some fans have been calling for a change in manager - because relegation is about as certain as it can possibly be, and has been for some time.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Any need for this thread really, we are all pissed off we lost.
What do you want us to do, congratulate you on your prediction?

That aside if we can't win away this season we will be going down, we can't get out of this on home form alone.

Gaz

Must be depressing to always think we are going to lose away from home.

ajsccfc

Did we have a recent season without an away win (albeit with a much better home record) also or am I remembering wrong? Around 2005ish?

TheHellion

Did we have a recent season without an away win (albeit with a much better home record) also or am I remembering wrong? Around 2005ish?

Won 4 away that season (05/06).

Last one I remember is 99/00. 12 home wins, but not a single away one.

Users who are viewing this thread