Why Are We So Shit At Home? (1 Viewer)

no_loyalty

What are the reasons for being so shit at home games?, is it the very poor atmosphere due to poor attendances as TM has eluded to?, or is it the state of the pitch?

Is this our worst home record in a season ever?

ccfcway

its a really weird atmosphere there at the moment.

Cant put my finger on it, and i am sure this isnt the best explaination, but its almost like not actually watching the same team as watching them away.

When away, the "support ,team, pride for the club" etc all seems there. At home, apathy seems to set in for all parties concerned. It is "Home" but it doesn't feel like "home".*

*I m not blaming Wasps for that, its been like that for a few years

Otis

It's obvious.

It's the Ricoh. The Ricoh is soulless and has no atmosphere.

It's the Wasps signs on the stands.

It's us changing changing rooms.

It's the pitch.

It's nothing to do with the team.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
It's obvious.

It's the pitch.

absolutely nothing to do with the players, coaches, managers, directors or owners :whistle: :laugh:............ everyone and everything is against them its not like any other team :facepalm:

Last edited:

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

cant be easy for young kids like George Thomas in your first real shot at a decent time on the field to have every mistake met with a moan our home fans put the team under so much unnecessary pressure its criminal (at the time that happened it was 0-0 and we were on top and he never really got back into the game after it). don't think the way that pitch crumbles is helping either orient were the first away side that also seemed to be struggling on it was a few chances that came our way due to their players slipping.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
The pitch is a factor in any game .............. and yet other teams seem to manage to win on the one at the Ricoh

skybluetony176

I think TM has this squad of players (the ones not injured, RJ) playing as good as they are capable of. I said when SP was sacked who was going to come in and make an improvement and this is where we are.

Its simple, our owners, TF & SW have failed since the day one to create an enviroment that promoted success and we are reaping the fruits of their labour.

hill83

resized_ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-i-m-not-saying-it-s-aliens-but-it-s-aliens-3fda19.jpg

stupot07

The pitch is a factor in any game .............. and yet other teams seem to manage to win on the one at the Ricoh

They did make a good point before the match on the radio - the point of having home advantage is having conditions that suit your style of football. We have a lot of tippy tappy footballers who suit a flatter more true pitch, so although other teams seem to do ok on it we struggle.

And tbh, if Ryton is a bowling green (I don't know if it is or not) then we play at the Ricoh we're not training in the same conditions. It's definitely been a factor although it wasn't too bad last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

It's obvious.

It's the pitch.

Come on otis, I have never said it wasn't the players or management or coaching, tactics etc. Just point out that if there is such a thing as "marginal gains" then there must be things that go against you that are "marginal losses".

I'm one of the biggest critics of our squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Take the point stupot and yes it has definitely been a factor but dont some of the other teams play the tippy tappy way too and win? Surely no one really sets up any visiting team to play on the way the pitch at the ricoh is at the moment - the other teams only play on it the once we are there every other week so should adapt better?

Also we have managed, even recently, to play decently on it ....... first 30 against Donny or second half last ..... it wasn't the pitch that cost us on either occasion

Its a factor but I don't place as much emphasis on it as say the lack of quality and depth or the mental abilities/strengths of the players for example.

Seeing the pitches my lad plays on but manages to do the basics decently I guess I take a harsher view on the excuses ;)

Last edited:

Otis

Come on otis, I have never said it wasn't the players or management or coaching, tactics etc. Just point out that if there is such a thing as "marginal gains" then there must be things that go against you that are "marginal losses".

I'm one of the biggest critics of our squad.

Wasn't a personal dig at you, Stu. :D

Just think we can make all the excuses in the world, but at the of the day, the team just isn't good enough.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

The pitch didn't seem to bother us for the first 15 minutes of the second half nice crisp passing up for the game creating chances etc etc. then allowed Orient to get more and more into the game nothing to do with the pitch. The way we play away is how Orient played last night,and that's why we are winning away. If we had carried on attacking all the way through the second half we would have won last night but we didn't and we didnt

ChrisC

Wrote pretty much what I'm about to write after the previous home game - didn't post as computer crashed and couldn't then be arsed to re-do it. But after last night, I felt I'd have another go.

Of course there's an element of player ineptitude involved but I'm convinced that amongst the factors contributing to this is the atmosphere at the Ricoh. Away from home there's (usually) anything between 800 and 1500 fans all very much on the side of the team, backing this up with vocal support for pretty much the whole 90 minutes largely irrespective of how things are going. If a player screws up, there's no barracking and if the ball goes backwards rather than forwards, there's no collective groaning coming from the stands. I am convinced that the opposite reaction the players encounter at the Ricoh weighs heavy on (what are) young shoulders, nerves creep in and risks are taken that wouldn't be taken away from home. When I see Aaron Martin's 20th "back row of the stands" clearance in a row, I cringe, and you can hear many of the 8,000 in attendance growing increasingly infuriated at this defending-by-numbers approach, so he, and the others, start to take risks in a usually fatal attempt to appease the moaning masses. But it's probably exactly what he (and the others) need to do at this stage of the season, and bugger the reaction of the crowd. Not easy though for a 25 year old in a League One team battling to stave off relegation to be so thick-skinned.

And we're winning these away games against other teams whose players will come under similar pressure from the home fans as our lot - effectively, Leyton Orient did to us last night what we're doing away from home against other teams.

I'd say the pitch was more of a factor (and, man, it is awful) if it wasn't for the fact that they are delivering the goods on equally bad surfaces at other grounds, so as far as I'm concerned the pitch is a relatively minor factor, maybe not in the performances, but certainly in the results of our games. I do tend to think that in a struggling team there is no such thing as home advantage......and that is why we'll come away from Notts County on Monday with three points!

All this said though, as someone who only gets to go to home games, I am hating what I've seen all season and please God, whichever division we're in next season, we get to see some better football (from us) at the Ricoh.

ajsccfc

The real issue is me - since Mowbray's been in charge we've had four home games, losing three and drawing one. I wasn't there for the draw.

That's scientific fact.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
just watched the goal again several times ...... really not sure Martin falling is down to pitch as such...... probably didn't help to be fair, but his body position was all over the shop and he lost his balance more because of that. Not really sure why he wasn't closer to Dagnall to make a proper challenge rather than allow him to run at him. Pretty much poor defending

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't think its the pitch, its more just the place in general. It's so uninspiring, the atmosphere isn't just poor its toxic.

Paxman II

TBH it's a conundrum for sure. The longer it goes on the more 'suspect' and believable the so called jinx becomes.
But they are professional footballers and are at home inside a pretty darn nice stadium at that!
TM must be thinking how wired that was again and for me I just feel he will set the record straight at the next home game for sure, not allowing that to even come close. Enough is enough as it were because we are wasting those away wins!

Hobo

At home you have to dominate and press, you have to dictate games.

the reason we don't win; we are substandard....forget our proud history, we are a poor league 1 side....the table isn't false folks, we are where our performances have taken us.

Pressley invested his his budget poorly, maybe? Waggott let him!

desertfox

Wrote pretty much what I'm about to write after the previous home game - didn't post as computer crashed and couldn't then be arsed to re-do it. But after last night, I felt I'd have another go.

Of course there's an element of player ineptitude involved but I'm convinced that amongst the factors contributing to this is the atmosphere at the Ricoh. Away from home ...
..All this said though, as someone who only gets to go to home games, I am hating what I've seen all season and please God, whichever division we're in next season, we get to see some better football (from us) at the Ricoh.

I agree that we (the fans) are part of the problem, and part of the solution. I believe we should compress the home crowd into a smaller area.
It is absolutely brilliant crushed into the away end at our matches - win or lose. It is dire at the Ricoh. Everyone is scared to sing, because there are 5 seats between each person. Pretty hard to sing on your own without feeling a tit.

My suggestion to the club is to close large parts of the stadium to home fans - more than half - until numbers dictate we need more.
We would pack the main stand on one side, and would have a much better experience as a result. I believe the resultant concentrated noise would bring the young lads out there an additional urgency that might just help them bring in the home points.

...Flameproof jacket on...

RegTheDonk

I agree that we (the fans) are part of the problem, and part of the solution. I believe we should compress the home crowd into a smaller area.
It is absolutely brilliant crushed into the away end at our matches - win or lose. It is dire at the Ricoh. Everyone is scared to sing, because there are 5 seats between each person. Pretty hard to sing on your own without feeling a tit.

My suggestion to the club is to close large parts of the stadium to home fans - more than half - until numbers dictate we need more.
We would pack the main stand on one side, and would have a much better experience as a result. I believe the resultant concentrated noise would bring the young lads out there an additional urgency that might just help them bring in the home points.

...Flameproof jacket on...

I agree with that, and I don't understand why they did a u-turn when we came "home". It made sense from a financial and atmosphere point of view. Perhaps it was too rushed? Maybe they'll try this again in the closed season when there's more time to implement it - and open up blocks depending on demand.

Otis

I think the best idea would be to have the Tesco stand and the Main Stand only open. Close the North Stand completely.

I don't think people can complain too much, cos judging by the past few home games, next to no-one has sat in there anyway.

stupot07

I think the best idea would be to have the Tesco stand and the Main Stand only open. Close the North Stand completely.

I don't think people can complain too much, cos judging by the past few home games, next to no-one has sat in there anyway.

Unfortunately Otis, this is exactly what hey tried to do when we returned, yet they did complain. It's embarrassing looking at the telegraph stand.

Terry Gibson's perm

Unfortunately Otis, this is exactly what hey tried to do when we returned, yet they did complain. It's embarrassing looking at the telegraph stand.

I would also bring the away fans forward so they can create less noise and close the stand that we have no fans in, it would also be nice if they could buy some sheets and cover some of those awful Wasps signs.

We are not good at home because the players are weak minded and gutless and are not fit enough to play a game that stretches the opposition, they also don't try to kill teams off and sit back when we take the lead and let them back in it.

Ashdown

It's that Leicester City curse I tell thee ! One of the construction workers allegedly stuffed his LCFC shirt and memorabilia into the pipes and the rest is history !!

Of course there's an element of player ineptitude involved but I'm convinced that amongst the factors contributing to this is the atmosphere at the Ricoh. Away from home there's (usually) anything between 800 and 1500 fans all very much on the side of the team, backing this up with vocal support for pretty much the whole 90 minutes largely irrespective of how things are going. If a player screws up, there's no barracking and if the ball goes backwards rather than forwards, there's no collective groaning coming from the stands. I am convinced that the opposite reaction the players encounter at the Ricoh weighs heavy on (what are) young shoulders, nerves creep in and risks are taken that wouldn't be taken away from home. When I see Aaron Martin's 20th "back row of the stands" clearance in a row, I cringe, and you can hear many of the 8,000 in attendance growing increasingly infuriated at this defending-by-numbers approach, so he, and the others, start to take risks in a usually fatal attempt to appease the moaning masses. But it's probably exactly what he (and the others) need to do at this stage of the season, and bugger the reaction of the crowd. Not easy though for a 25 year old in a League One team battling to stave off relegation to be so thick-skinned.

And we're winning these away games against other teams whose players will come under similar pressure from the home fans as our lot - effectively, Leyton Orient did to us last night what we're doing away from home against other teams.

I'd say the pitch was more of a factor (and, man, it is awful) if it wasn't for the fact that they are delivering the goods on equally bad surfaces at other grounds, so as far as I'm concerned the pitch is a relatively minor factor, maybe not in the performances, but certainly in the results of our games. I do tend to think that in a struggling team there is no such thing as home advantage......and that is why we'll come away from Notts County on Monday with three points!

Thanks for writing exactly what I wanted to say, saved me the bother... I'm not sure about the three points at Notts County though now we've lost Tudguy and Samuel in the last 2 games but I'll be there regardless.

italiahorse

I would also bring the away fans forward so they can create less noise and close the stand that we have no fans in, it would also be nice if they could buy some sheets and cover some of those awful Wasps signs.

We are not good at home because the players are weak minded and gutless and are not fit enough to play a game that stretches the opposition, they also don't try to kill teams off and sit back when we take the lead and let them back in it.

Wasps put loads of extra signage up just for their games. Nothing to stop us doing the same.
Would need to be organised though if they could be bothered.
I've never heard Wasps complaining about our CCFC signs.

DazzleTommyDazzle

It's that Leicester City curse I tell thee ! One of the construction workers allegedly stuffed his LCFC shirt and memorabilia into the pipes and the rest is history !!

Don't quite get this.

Surely burying it under concrete is exactly the right thing to do with Leicester City memorabilia?

Otis

There is a trend for some reason, whereby home form in general has slumped for football clubs and the home win percentages have been going down over a number of years.

Jim Brown has pointed this out in the CT this week.

A9R633E.jpg

torchomatic

so how do you explain the away form? same team, manager, owners, fans...

same questipn to Otis.
absolutely nothing to do with the players, coaches, managers, directors or owners :whistle: :laugh:............ everyone and everything is against them its not like any other team :facepalm:

maddog

The owners are shit, the players are mainly shit or young and make their errors while learning ie more nervous at home. The pitch is shit and suits the big boot % football most teams play. Oppostion raise their game at the Ricoh - its their cup final - big time stadium - the leicester builder cursed us. We have no luck. The refs are really shit and seem to treat us like a big club in reverse.Take your pick.

torchomatic

Disagree with the last point, it has something to do with the team. Agree with the rest though.

It's obvious.

It's the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread