why an elephant? (1 Viewer)

the_enemy

Hello,

I am a West Brom fan (don't hold that against me:D). But I have just taken over Coventry City on Football Manager and noticed that the badge has an elephant, a castle and two birds on it. What does it mean?

skyblueprincess

Legend has it that in the middle ages, folk believed the elephant was such a huge animal, it must sleep standing up and never lay down. People therefore assumed if you built your castle on an elephant's back, you'd have an inpentratable fortress that would never fall down. This tale, combined with the true fact of Coventry having one of the worst strongholds / prisons to be locked up in (hence the phrase "being sent to Coventry"), the football club adopted these into their crest. Additionally, on the club crest is the Phoenix rising from the ashes (to remember the people of the city who died during the Second World War Blitz on Coventry by the Nazi Luftwaffe in November 1940, and how the survivors rebuilt the area), plus an eagle which ties in with the Leofric family - their family mascot (a certain Lord Leofric in the middle ages was the husband of no other than Lady Godiva).

I think thats right !!!

the_enemy

thanks for that, always wanted to know the answer. Don't you have an Elephant as the mascot aswell?

Good Luck for next season

simmouk

Administrator
You win a tour around the CCFC changing rooms, during the first home game of the season, when they're all getting unchanged!

Users who are viewing this thread