Who's our best keeper? (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCharlie

Heading towards the Crewe match on Saturday I've been reflecting on the performances of our two young keepers.

Allsop frightened the life out of me during the Gillingham and Preston games, with unforced errors, hesitations and very poor postional play. He failed to command his box and that seemed to affect his defenders. I felt he showed some improvement for the Crawley game but could have done better for their second goal (he had no chance with the first). So it was interesting to see on Tuesday night that Burge was between the sticks. However his kamikaze runs to the edge on the 18 yard box could have cost him and us. Suprised he didn't get booked for the first one when he handled the ball outside the box (some refs might have seen that as a red) and then in the second half he failed to collect from a similar position and the Exeter player put the ball across the front of an empty goal.

For me, both of them have shown their youthful inexperience, are not yet up to the standard required for this division and we need a more experienced, mature keeper if we are going to have a strong defensive unit.

I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion, thoughts.

Senior Vick from Alicante

We should be out their trying to sign an experienced keeper. The 2 we have got are not what is needed at this stage, our last 2 keepers have both proven what was needed at this level and the one above. Burge was kamikaze at times on Tuesday he needs at least a couple more years as a number 2 before he plays full time, Allsop has not impressed a waste of a wage in my opinion who will only go back to his parent club.

ccfcdale

By the sounds of things the Lad at Nuneaton Chalres-Cook is playing very very well. Still to early though for first team action?

skybluepm2

Unfortunately for the first time in years, this is currently our weakest position. I have watched both this term and neither have a commanding presence or sufficient confidence to succeed at this level....at present. Of course young goalkeepers need experience but I would rather that our future number 1 - as it currently looks Burge - should gain experience lower down the ladder for a prolonged period of time. Burge had a spell at Nuneaton but had nothing since apart from the under 21's/reserves and the odd cup game. It would be better if he made his mistakes elsewhere, learned from them and came back a better player. Allsop wouldn't be here if we hadn't sold wilson, that I'm sure of. It's as if we just accepted that he was our number 1 until Christmas at least. Nothing he has done well has lasted in my memory thus far. Experienced loan option is required ASAP if we are to do anything this season in my opinion.

Hobo

They haven't got the experience so get someone else, preventing them from getting the experience?

we have a choice here
Are they making progress and at a reasonable rate...stick with what you know
Are they making the same mistakes, getting worse, confidence is draining from them...bring someone else in.

I would stick with them unless someone who really is the finished article is available.

stupot07

Allsop looked quite assured vs Crawley, maybe he's getting better?

Yeah I thought so too. Unfortunately Burge failed to impress on Tuesday, was very rash with his decision making coming to collect through balls. Was probably trying to hard to impress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

wingy

Yeah I thought so too. Unfortunately Burge failed to impress on Tuesday, was very rash with his decision making coming to collect through balls. Was probably trying to hard to impress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Think he's been watching too many Nuar vids.

Alsop should be number 1. He is slightly more experienced and his kicking is far superior to Burge's (he can kick it to another player rather into the stands). Burge has the potential to be a great keeper, but he isn't ready yet. I think he needs a loan to a high League 2 club. He also needs to use his head once in a while. When he tried a Manuel Neuer trick against Exeter, it just showed he needs to think before he acts. As for Alsop, I think he is a good reaction keeper, but he needs to be more vocal. When the loan expires, I cant see him staying. Bournemouth rate him highly so I cant see him signing permanently. I think we need to try and extend his loan til the end of the season, then try to bring in a new keeper on a free transfer. I stand by my previous statement that we should go for Scott Flinders. Decent age, experienced, fantastic reflexes, reliable and popular with the fans (he was a great sport when we took the piss last season). I know my previous statements on goalkeepers are well known, but hopefully I can redeem myself here

Last edited:

SkyBlueCharlie

They haven't got the experience so get someone else, preventing them from getting the experience?

we have a choice here
Are they making progress and at a reasonable rate...stick with what you know
Are they making the same mistakes, getting worse, confidence is draining from them...bring someone else in.

I would stick with them unless someone who really is the finished article is available.

Totally agree with your sentiments but normally in football young players gain their experience by going out on loan to a lower division club, as Burge did last year at Nuneaton. As I said in my OP Allsopp seemed a lot better for the Crawley game but still showed his inexperience. I suppose the question is can we afford to carry that for the rest of the season, assumimg he stays after January of course!

Hobo

Totally agree with your sentiments but normally in football young players gain their experience by going out on loan to a lower division club, as Burge did last year at Nuneaton. As I said in my OP Allsopp seemed a lot better for the Crawley game but still showed his inexperience. I suppose the question is can we afford to carry that for the rest of the season, assumimg he stays after January of course!

And isn't Allsop on loan to get experience here?

okay I'll stop being cheeky. I admit he has frightened the life out of me on occasions. But if he is making progress and learning with each match experience why not? We are only going to get another loan player anyway, who probably hasn't played first team football for ages.

Perhaps Burge was trying to over compensate for Allsops indecision? Who knows. At the moment I would prefer a CM to challenge/support Fleck and Thomas more.

Del Boy 82

I cannot call it, both have their faults being young. Burge is a ccfc player, allsop is not. Allsops kicking an distribution is better than burges, however he does not command the area an call to the back 3 where burge is not frightened to command his area an come to collect, if a little too much but experience will sort that. Both are equally quite good shot stoppers So then it's down to game time an experience an allsop is ahead on that count

SkyBlueCharlie

And isn't Allsop on loan to get experience here?

okay I'll stop being cheeky. I admit he has frightened the life out of me on occasions. But if he is making progress and learning with each match experience why not? We are only going to get another loan player anyway, who probably hasn't played first team football for ages.

Perhaps Burge was trying to over compensate for Allsops indecision? Who knows. At the moment I would prefer a CM to challenge/support Fleck and Thomas more.

You naughty little boy you! :claping hands: Take your point about Allsopp being on loan but perhaps this is a division too high? Do you think he will stay in January and if not would Burge be capable, at the moment, of being our number one keeper?

PS great to be talking football for a change.:)

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I think when Allsopp goes back in Jan, we should really be looking at signing an more experienced keeper, even if till the end of the season or on an 18 month deal. Burge isn't ready and I don't really want Allsopp's loan extended

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Regurgitate Oggy!:claping hands:

SkyBlueCharlie

I think when Allsopp goes back in Jan, we should really be looking at signing an more experienced keeper, even if till the end of the season or on an 18 month deal. Burge isn't ready and I don't really want Allsopp's loan extended

I'm not so sure he will go back bearing in mind that he now appears to be third of fourth in the pecking order a Bournemouth and he would therefore both be available and probably agreeable to extending his loan.

Hobo

You naughty little boy you! :claping hands: Take your point about Allsopp being on loan but perhaps this is a division too high? Do you think he will stay in January and if not would Burge be capable, at the moment, of being our number one keeper?

PS great to be talking football for a change.:)

I think he has come with a view that a permanent deal could follow, a try before you buy.
Also regarding loans, as with anybody in your squad you have a duty to look after them and to try and develop them while they are in your care. If you do that successfully it can have several effects, they want to join you, the parent club is willing to loan to you again, and other players are more likely to come as they see they get given a fair chance and are likely to develop.

SkyBlueCharlie

Hobo, again I tend to agree that he will stay. He's been well treated by SP and probably has one of the best goalkeeping coaches in Oggy in this, or any other, division. It would be a backward step to return to Bournemouth, be third choice at best or be farmed out again and have to start from scratch with a new club.

Old Warwickshire lad

We should be out their trying to sign an experienced keeper. The 2 we have got are not what is needed at this stage, our last 2 keepers have both proven what was needed at this level and the one above. Burge was kamikaze at times on Tuesday he needs at least a couple more years as a number 2 before he plays full time, Allsop has not impressed a waste of a wage in my opinion who will only go back to his parent club.

Murphy is warming the bench every week. Could ask for swap loan lol

ccfcway

You willing to stump up the 15K+ per week wages? Cus SISU defo wont. He wouldn't drop down to L1 anyway

he was released by Brighton , so its hardly a huge fall. Also out of a job, so unlikely to want £15k.

Crawley had Brian Jensen on their bench on Saturday. he would have been on a wack at Burnley, he wont be on the same warming the bench at Crawley

Gazolba

We don't have one. They are all poor. One of our most urgent needs is a competent keeper.

Nick

Administrator
Alsop should be number 1. He is slightly more experienced and his kicking is far superior to Burge's (he can kick it to another player rather into the stands). Burge has the potential to be a great keeper, but he isn't ready yet. I think he needs a loan to a high League 2 club. He also needs to use his head once in a while. When he tried a Manuel Neuer trick against Exeter, it just showed he needs to think before he acts. As for Alsop, I think he is a good reaction keeper, but he needs to be more vocal. When the loan expires, I cant see him staying. Bournemouth rate him highly so I cant see him signing permanently. I think we need to try and extend his loan til the end of the season, then try to bring in a new keeper on a free transfer. I stand by my previous statement that we should go for Scott Flinders. Decent age, experienced, fantastic reflexes, reliable and popular with the fans (he was a great sport when we took the piss last season). I know my previous statements on goalkeepers are well known, but hopefully I can redeem myself here
Have you seen alsops kicking? Fair few times it has gone into the stands

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I wanted Burge to have a chance, but on Tuesday I'm not sure what he was on! Maybe trying too hard to make a good impression.

Now I'm not too sure either of the current keepers give me much confidence..... Definitely our weakest spot in the team (along with Connor Thomas :D )

Users who are viewing this thread