Who's Good Enough for the Championship? (1 Viewer)

skyblueman

Assuming we manage to scrape into the play-offs and joy of joys win promotion - who do you think in the current squad is good enough for a CCFC championship challenging squad and who isn't?

Otis

Err, not many.

Bailey and ....... errm ..... errr ...... Mouss? Adams?

Struggling after that to be honest.

JulianDarbyFTW

It's not easy to say. Look at Blackpool when they got promoted. Several journeymen and distinctly average footballers were given a new lease of life with an effective formation and manager. I'm not saying our current bunch could do a job in tbe Championship, just that it's sometimes the sum of all the parts rather than just about an individual's ability.

Mucca Mad Boys

To add to what Otis said: Murphy, Thomas for definite. Wood, Clarke & Christie are good enough - just!

Got a feeling Fleck and Barton would do better the Championship, they have a lot to offer IMO. Unsure about Jennings, he'd be a good sub.

If we were to get to the Championship, I think we'd definitely need: a CB, ST, and possibly 2 wingers.

If we get this Henshall, I wonder if it'll be with a view to a permanent, after all, chances are, he isn't going to start for Man City...

Greggs

Christie, Edge, Adams could be decent Champ players
Bailey, Moussa already are.
Cant think of anymore.

Mucca Mad Boys

Christie, Edge, Adams could be decent Champ players
Bailey, Moussa already are.
Cant think of anymore.

Edj gets exploited too often in L1... He'd get crucified in the Championship.

Edj is a legend on twitter, but, he isn't a good defender, sorry to have to break everyone's heart...

Greggs

Most of our current squad are League 1 players, the gulf between leagues in huge. I fear for the likes of Macca, Woody and Baker in the Championship.

LewSkyBlue

christie, edge, wood, adams, bailey, macca, baker, moussa, thomas and maybe elliott and clarke. think we would need to sign another decent centre-half, 2 central midfielders, a winger and a striker and possible if affordable a decent ish goalkeeper (back up).

Greggs

Edj gets exploited too often in L1... He'd get crucified in the Championship.

Edj is a legend on twitter, but, he isn't a good defender, sorry to have to break everyone's heart...

For his first experience of English football I think he is doing well, and only 25. All the essentials to be a top player are there, unlike some of the others.

LewSkyBlue

For his first experience of English football I think he is doing well, and only 25. All the essentials to be a top player are there, unlike some of the others.

He's our Vidic ;) or am i getting carried away. He scores me loads on fifa from set-pieces :D

covcity4life

100% good enough:

murphy
adams
bailey
moussa
baker

whilst

jennings
fleck
elliott
christie
thomas
mcsheffrey
bell

could probably do a job too.

Greggs

100% good enough:

murphy
adams
bailey
moussa
baker

whilst

jennings
fleck
elliott
christie
thomas
mcsheffrey
bell

could probably do a job too.

As much as i love his effort/commitment, have you not watched Carl Baker play prior to this season? We have had him for 3 years, and at 30 years of age will never be a top Championship player.
This list staggers me. Sky Blue tinted glasses i guess!

covcity4life

As much as i love his effort/commitment, have you not watched Carl Baker play prior to this season? We have had him for 3 years, and at 30 years of age will never be a top Championship player.
This list staggers me. Sky Blue tinted glasses i guess!

how do you figure that? i have only listed 5 players as definetly good enough for the championship. you have only disputed one

yet sky blues tinted glasses?

you confuse me.

Steve.B50

Lets just try and get there, then leave it MR he seems to have the right ideas.
Been a long time since we had such a good manager.
In Robbins we trust

skyblueman

Good point by JulianDerby but so far not too many calls for retaining much of current squad in the championship.... isn't that exactly our problem though? To get a decent chance at promotion I always feel you need a squad capable of holding their own in the league above - we just don't have that and I think we are going to struggle to get out of this league unless we can assemble a different squad capable of bridging the gulf between this league and the championship - if we were by some miracle able to go up this year wholesale changes would be needed because we would get slaughtered in the Championship with what we have now - Robins needs to build a Championship squad and SISU have got to fund it somehow or we are going to languish in this league for years with mounting losses and a club worth less than nothing

Dan Griffin

I honestly think, all of our players could do a job in the league above, a lot of our youngsters have played near enough a full season full of games there now, (Christie, Clarke, Cameron) Maybe not all (Cameron) but he's certainly showed he can do it (disallowed goal v Watford, had king in his back pocket and had fans chanting "Cameron, break his legs, Cameron, Cameron....) But they're all also wxperiencing a much rougher and untidier league and this is what they will need to improve, get the fight and to release the ball at the right time. For our older players (Baker, Wood, Murphy) I'd like to think there good enough, but Woods technique is about as good as a chocolate teapot. He is such a two left feet player, gets himself tangle up a lot. Murphy is top of everyone's list. Baker... This new found confidence has worked a treat this year, whether its a short term thing? I hope not. Then Fleck Barton & Moussa, our main technical players (bar Barton unless he wants to show it) I believe they can do it.

dongonzalos

I will no doubt get dogs abuse for this.

Baker, Fleck, Murphy, Adams, Barton, Bailey.
Moussa. Cody Bell

Yes Baker and Cody have tried before however they clearly have the ability and skill for that level.

For me it is a case if right attitude confidence and playing in the right position formation and playing regularly

Those boys have the natural ability for that level

Others may have the right mind set and work ethic but lack the ability of these players.

Yorkshire SB

We've got a handful of players that would be average at Championship level; Moussa, Bailey, Adams and Wood
A few that have the potential to play at that level; Thomas, Clarke, Edge, Baker, Barton (hopefully confidence could improve his performances at that level, but until this season he's been poor)

The rest I would say no; Murphy is fine in league 1 but he's been relegated 3 times from the Championship; Christie has looked poor this season in my eyes; Jennings does a job, but I'm unsure he'd be good enough in the Championship; Sheffers is a luxury player who isn't quite at that level any more (though I've been impressed this season); Fleck is poor for me, inconsistent and physically doesn't have the attributes; Clarke is good in League 1, but I don't think he's dynamic enough to score many in the Championship.

Ultimately we would need to buy 6/7 good championship players in a range of positions, to survive in that division.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Murphy, Wood, Adams, Bailey and Moussa

Some other players could do squad roles but these are the only ones I would feel confident in playing consistently week in, week out

Black6Osprey

Bailey, Moussa, Adams and Thomas. After that there are a few maybes and not much else.

The idea though that players (like Barton and Fleck) who struggle a bit at this level will play better at a higher level is a myth. You don't get more time on the ball the higher you go, you get less time to show off your silky skills and the game becomes much faster.

Mucca Mad Boys

Bailey, Moussa, Adams and Thomas. After that there are a few maybes and not much else.

The idea though that players (like Barton and Fleck) who struggle a bit at this level will play better at a higher level is a myth. You don't get more time on the ball the higher you go, you get less time to show off your silky skills and the game becomes much faster.

Barton has played well in L1 and the Championship for PNE, just needs to do it for us.

Skybluefaz

Most of our current squad are League 1 players, the gulf between leagues in huge. I fear for the likes of Macca, Woody and Baker in the Championship.
A few teams have gone up and stormed championship though, these players with the confidence of promotion behind them should do ok.

Grendel

I will no doubt get dogs abuse for this.

Baker, Fleck, Murphy, Adams, Barton, Bailey.
Moussa. Cody Bell

Yes Baker and Cody have tried before however they clearly have the ability and skill for that level.

For me it is a case if right attitude confidence and playing in the right position formation and playing regularly

Those boys have the natural ability for that level

Others may have the right mind set and work ethic but lack the ability of these players.

When you say they clearly have the skill for that level this implies evidence based of prior games played. What evidence is there to back that up?

Users who are viewing this thread