Who would come to City (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

someone just asked that on another thread..

Assuming that we would only get someone who is currently out of work if Thorn was to go, who would come ?

Tony Adams
John Barnes
John Beck
Paul Bracewell
Ian Branfoot
Phil Brown
Steve Bruce
Alan Buckley
George Burley
Alan Curbishley
Simon Davey
Billy Davies
Ian Dowie
Martin Foyle
Simon Grayson
John Hartson
Glenn Hoddle
John Hollins
Brian Horton
Paul Ince
Peter Jackson
Dave Jones
Roy Keane
Joe Kinear
Brian Laws
Brian Little
Gary McAllister
Sammy McIiroy
Richard Money
Ronnie Moore
Mike Newell
David O'Leary
Sean O'Driscoll
Dave Penney
Andy Ritchie
Mark Robins
Glenn Roeder
Nigel Spackman
Chris Sutton
Steve Tilson
Colin Todd
Neil Warnock
Ray Wilkins
Dennis Wise
Nigel Worthington
Mark Wright
Gianfranco Zola

Last edited:

bamalamafizzfazz

That's a lot of work for very little reward as we wouldn't get any of them lol.

I'm sorry, but unless significant investment was made there are only a handful of people who could replace Thorn.

These are, Carsley, Steve Harrison, Oggy, Rioch or Bobby Gould (said he would do it for free).

City are in the worst position I have ever seen them and if Thorn hast gone by now I can't see him going at all.

AFCCOVENTRY

For me if there are new owners then most managers would come here.

If SISU are still here my choice would be to go with Lee Carsley.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Perhaps us being in League One might encourage a few of these names to apply even if SISU are still here as mistakenly there will be a belief among some that we will be one of the big beasts in League One whereas in actual fact even footballing pygmies like Crawley Town have more financial resources. However some may feel that there could be a "dead cat bounce" next season and we will find our level.

However even if there is interest, SISU will just appoint the cheapest option regardless of ability which will probably be Carsley or Oggy. They might as well just appoint the tea lady or the bus driver and be done with it.

The soothsayer

Assuming that we would only get someone who is currently out of work if Thorn was to go, who would come ?

Tony Adams
John Barnes
John Beck
Paul Bracewell
Ian Branfoot
Phil Brown
Steve Bruce
Alan Buckley
George Burley
Alan Curbishley
Simon Davey
Billy Davies
Ian Dowie
Martin Foyle
Simon Grayson
John Hartson
Glenn Hoddle
John Hollins
Brian Horton
Paul Ince
Peter Jackson
Dave Jones
Roy Keane
Joe Kinear
Brian Laws
Brian Little
Gary McAllister
Sammy McIiroy
Richard Money
Ronnie Moore
Mike Newell
David O'Leary
Sean O'Driscoll
Dave Penney
Andy Ritchie
Mark Robins
Glenn Roeder
Nigel Spackman
Chris Sutton
Steve Tilson
Colin Todd
Neil Warnock
Ray Wilkins
Dennis Wise
Nigel Worthington
Mark Wright
Gianfranco Zola

None of them are undertakers though?

Otis

Carsley would be the sensible option ....... and I mean sensible in that we have no money and he could take the job on in a caretaker capacity with a review of things to come in the Summer.

The way things are, a caretaker would be the sensible way forward.

We will most likely go down anyway, whoever is in charge, but we know we will go down with Thorn at the helm.

mark82

Tony Adams
John Barnes
John Beck
Paul Bracewell
Ian Branfoot
Phil Brown
Steve Bruce
Alan Buckley
George Burley
Alan Curbishley
Simon Davey
Billy Davies
Ian Dowie
Martin Foyle
Simon Grayson
John Hartson
Glenn Hoddle
John Hollins
Brian Horton
Paul Ince
Peter Jackson
Dave Jones
Roy Keane
Joe Kinear
Brian Laws
Brian Little
Gary McAllister
Sammy McIiroy
Richard Money
Ronnie Moore
Mike Newell
David O'Leary
Sean O'Driscoll
Dave Penney
Andy Ritchie
Mark Robins
Glenn Roeder
Nigel Spackman
Chris Sutton
Steve Tilson
Colin Todd
Neil Warnock
Ray Wilkins
Dennis Wise
Nigel Worthington
Mark Wright
Gianfranco Zola

Assuming we have been taken over and it is with a view to get us out of league 1 then one of the following:

Billy Davies
Simon Grayson
Glenn Hoddle
Paul Ince
Roy Keane
Sean O'Driscoll
Mark Robins
Ray Wilkins

Or those in work:

Greg Abbott
Mark Yates
Paolo Di Canio
Steve Burr

EleanorRigby

New guy, new broom. Go the way we went all those years ago when we selected Jimmy Hill, not one of that lot other than a short term appointment of Warnock or maybe the excentric Billy Davies inspire me very much.

SlowerThanPlatt

Depends who's in charge and if the cash is there. Billy Davies? No chance. Left Forest because of the lack of investment, that means he won't come here then! :facepalm:

Nonleagueherewecome

Tony Adams
John Barnes
John Beck
Paul Bracewell
Ian Branfoot
Phil Brown
Steve Bruce
Alan Buckley
George Burley
Alan Curbishley
Simon Davey
Billy Davies
Ian Dowie
Martin Foyle
Simon Grayson
John Hartson
Glenn Hoddle
John Hollins
Brian Horton
Paul Ince
Peter Jackson
Dave Jones
Roy Keane
Joe Kinear
Brian Laws
Brian Little
Gary McAllister
Sammy McIiroy
Richard Money
Ronnie Moore
Mike Newell
David O'Leary
Sean O'Driscoll
Dave Penney
Andy Ritchie
Mark Robins
Glenn Roeder
Nigel Spackman
Chris Sutton
Steve Tilson
Colin Todd
Neil Warnock
Ray Wilkins
Dennis Wise
Nigel Worthington
Mark Wright
Gianfranco Zola

Never mind retired, are some of these dinosaurs even alive any more? Alan Buckley?!? Brian Little failed abysmally at Blues Square North Gainsborough Trinity, so I think we can do slightly better than that..or maybe not!

Nonleagueherewecome

How amazing would it be if we got Di Canio. He'd be much more entertaining than the game.

And some of our fans would just love having a fascist as manager! Bet he gets the trains running on time when our station finally opens ;)

Tankie

Tony Adams
John Barnes
John Beck
Paul Bracewell
Ian Branfoot
Phil Brown
Steve Bruce
Alan Buckley
George Burley
Alan Curbishley
Simon Davey
Billy Davies
Ian Dowie
Martin Foyle
Simon Grayson
John Hartson
Glenn Hoddle
John Hollins
Brian Horton
Paul Ince
Peter Jackson
Dave Jones
Roy Keane
Joe Kinear
Brian Laws
Brian Little
Gary McAllister
Sammy McIiroy
Richard Money
Ronnie Moore
Mike Newell
David O'Leary
Sean O'Driscoll
Dave Penney
Andy Ritchie
Mark Robins
Glenn Roeder
Nigel Spackman
Chris Sutton
Steve Tilson
Colin Todd
Neil Warnock
Ray Wilkins
Dennis Wise
Nigel Worthington
Mark Wright
Gianfranco Zola

"I'd like some one else"
4_12_12.gif

Last edited:

Paxman II

SISU could and should change the manager. I like Thorn a lot, seems an honest bloke and all that. However he just can't motivate and inspire his charges enough it seems. The whole scenario has passed the stage of what's fair or not.
Players need to see there is a determination to survive and they too won't truly believe that by sticking with Thorn.

Affordability? Not a concern. Plenty of managers who if out of the spotlight too long will never get back in again. On that basis alone one or two would definitely take it on rather than be out of work for a sustained period. AB quickly got back in or he would run the risk of the also rans on the scrap heap so he took a less attractive job - for now. Plenty on that list who would do the same. For a small investment SISU could get some gravitas back for trying at least and who knows save the club from relegation there by holding a better position in any negotiations with Hoffman and co at the same time.

ccfcway

Wilkins would be interesting, Chelsea have gone downhill (when compared to previous form) when he left.

Carseley would be the cheap and unknown option, as would ex player John Hartson, who is looking to get into management

Would Carsley or Hartson do a better job than Thorn ?, can they do any worse that 3 points away from home all season ?

stupot07

Carsley would be the sensible option ....... and I mean sensible in that we have no money and he could take the job on in a caretaker capacity with a review of things to come in the Summer.

Isn't that exactly what happened last season?

Otis

Yep. And it worked fine, in a caretaker capacity.

If Carsley came in and did really well then I would expect him to be treated in exactly the same way as Andy Thorn.

Thorn started off brightly but has now been found out. Once teams began sussing us out the results have not gone our way and we are now way too predictable. Bottom line is, we don't know if Carsley would be a success or not. It is the sensible option though if we have no money. Caretaker now until the end of the season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Surprised that nobody's mentioned Paul Hart-the guy has a lot of experience of managing teams in our situation and with our non-existent level of finance. I'm not sure what he's doing at the moment, but I think he's pretty much bang on the manager we'd be asking for in a 'till the end of the season' role.

ccfc1973

lee carsley with bobby gould as his number 2,
because....
1, carsleys good with the kids (and thats what we will be left with)
2,Gould is a good impact manager (great starts to his previous stints,before he goes tits up)
3,cant do any worse
4,CHEAPPPPPPPPPPPP

Grendel

How can we expect to be taken seriously when Bobby Gould keeps being mentioned as a serious option?

covcity4life

we would still be quite a big draw as we would be in top 3 big teams in league one with a seemlings good chanc eof promotion push

paul ince
roy keane(needs to sort his reputation out after great start)
hot prospect managers like crawley,stevenage managers, likes of prof football players making their name(poyet,di canio etc)

what do people suggest? we keep thorn forever?

Otis

No, we keep Thorn until we get to Nuneaton Borough's level.

Then would be the right time to get rid.

Users who are viewing this thread