Who were the last great pair of wingers you've saw at the city? (1 Viewer)

I've always said this is definately our downfall!

In the last decade we havent had a pair of pacey, skillful wingers who can put good balls in. Good wingers will get you the odd goal and take the pressure of these goalscoring strikers we've been after. Maybe it's wingers we should be looking for?

Every championship team that's went up has had an out and out winger or two that have near enough carried the team by supplying and scoring. I'd say it's the wingers who make these great goalscoring strikers

p.s I blame SISU :blue:

Last edited:

TheRoyalScam

The last good winger I can remember is Steve Froggatt. The last pair of good wingers playing on opposite flanks I can remember are Peter Ndlovu and Kevin Gallacher. Then again, memory fades when you're 53!

:blue:

wingy

Julian Gray,Micheal Mcindoe enough said,think we coukd have developed Liam Davis but there you go ,history with Coleman from Fulham days,Mifsud ,although he did'nt lke playing there.

TheRoyalScam

Mifsud's first touch was more often than not a pass to the opposition when he played on the wing.......

ICHAN

Best wingers I can remember.
Froggatt (shame his career ended early).
Nuddy (nice lad to talk to as well), Bennett,Pickering as for pairing beats me can hardly remember the matchs used to go to now, used to struggle then as well.

ashbyjan

Cheers Wingy - just for a minute I suddenly went all orange, started looking for property on the Algrave and a seat in the dugout......

wingy

Jordon Henderson?
strange how Sunderland Liverpool have converted him to CM ,looked so effective for us outside ,very direct with Beckhamesque crossing.So AT is'nt the only one to use players out of position,in fact only one that i know of ,remember Adams square pegs in round holes.

procdoc

We haven't had any decent wingers except for mcsheffrey (first spell) since relegation. Henderson and Partridge weren't our players

cloughie

Steve Hunt was quality - best crosser of a ball we have had.

Yes he was quality and exciting good shot as well and would choose him but thats 3 I've chose, but Hunt did play central as well so I'll have them all in my team

If only we had 1 of them now.............dreaming

Nonleagueherewecome

Leigh Jenkinson and Sean Flynn.

Nonleagueherewecome

Leigh Jenkinson and Shaun Flynn. :eek:

Ha, didn't see this...great minds! I think that puts the Tricky Tiny Men in the lead so far!

Nonleagueherewecome

Julian Gray,Micheal Mcindoe enough said,think we coukd have developed Liam Davis but there you go ,history with Coleman from Fulham days,Mifsud ,although he did'nt lke playing there.[/QUOT yeah kevin gallagher stands out, possibly david thompson could be classed as a winger, loved running at players, maybe mcsheffrey when he was on fire 6 seasons ago, struggling now, great post

city old boy

Rees, Humphris, Hutchinson, Alderton, Hunt, Gallagher,Bennett, Frogatt. There must be loads more .
Can you see Thorn teaching a winger the skills of the game what a joke.

cloughie

Rees, Humphris, Hutchinson, Alderton, Hunt, Gallagher,Bennett, Frogatt. There must be loads more .
Can you see Thorn teaching a winger the skills of the game what a joke.

To be fair i doubt if anyone taught Tommy hutch, benno and all the rest, it was natural talent something that seems to get coached out of players nowadays

Users who are viewing this thread