who was the last player we paid for? (1 Viewer)

cofastreecity

In August 2012 CCFC paid Preston £25k for Adam Barton, with a few further kickers based on appearances. Cov have not paid for any player since, and whilst smart business operators can often pick up freebies, the club are in a competitive market and have a policy of not paying for any player

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I was going to reply with Barton. I thought you asking a question, not answering it yourself :D

But as you have I'll go with it!

Speaks volumes really considering he is probably our longest serving player along with Fleck, who we paid compensation for, and the rest have been free or come through the academy.

skybluetom

While it's tough relying on frees most teams do, County signed 15 players on frees and are a far better team than we are. We have the 8th biggest budget in this league, Pressley's record on 'em is inexcuseable.

Noggin

To me the bigger issue is not so much that we arn't paying fees (though when you sell someone for a few mill you really should have some sort of a budget for a replacement) but more we sign gambles on short term and loan deals. There is no way for this to pay off, if the gambles succeed they leave us, if they fail no benefit. We keep hearing that Pressley is building for the future but there is no future in this, scout, research properly, sign the players on a free and then if they succeed and want to move on you make a good profit and you can repeat the process. We are just having to replace most the squad over and over again, we will never succeed doing this, no manager can build and mold a squad doing this, we are just going to be involved in relegation fight after relegation fight untill we go down.

No, he was a freebie

I think with what was going on at rangers at the time I think we did pay for fleck. But I also think we paid for Stuart Urquhart as he's one for the future... Oh wait he's gone aswell.

Think we'll have to spend in the summer though as we won't have a squad who are all pretty much out of contract

woody11462

I thought we got Fleck for free but installed a large sell on fee. A load of players were walking from Rangers for free to other clubs following their collapse and I recall that the Rangers chairman came out and said that we handled ourselves correcty in the way we approached them and agreed a compensation package for him leaving the club.

stupot07

I thought we got Fleck for free but installed a large sell on fee. A load of players were walking from Rangers for free to other clubs following their collapse and I recall that the Rangers chairman came out and said that we handled ourselves correcty in the way we approached them and agreed a compensation package for him leaving the club.

That's correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

In August 2012 CCFC paid Preston £25k for Adam Barton, with a few further kickers based on appearances. Cov have not paid for any player since, and whilst smart business operators can often pick up freebies, the club are in a competitive market and have a policy of not paying for any player

I thought £100k was the figure banded about? I think we paid for adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

stupot07

13th Jan 2013 Blair Adams Sunderland - Coventry] Undisclosed

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

13th Jan 2013 Blair Adams Sunderland - Coventry] Undisclosed

at the time didnt they say it was a free transfer with a fee after 50 games which is why he was shafted out in the summer just shy of 50 games

RoboCCFC90

Kyle Spence summer 2014 from Crystal Palace...

D

Deleted member 2526

I'm pretty sure there was an interview with Pressley in The Sun just before the first game back at the Ricoh where he said he'd only spent £25k in his time here. And that was for that Urquhart bloke we signed from Rangers (and then released!)

Users who are viewing this thread