Who was mainly to blame for our relegation from League 1 (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

A game where I thought we were the better side but suffered from a massive lapse in concentration after we equalised

If I’m right the only game we lost after that was Lincoln which was just a ridiculous game dominated by that lump they used to have up top
We still lost it, I was just disagreeing with the 'never looked back' comment really.

The results were W3 D1 L2 after the Yeovil game. Half decent form but nothing amazing.

I felt at the time, and still do, that Mansfield lost their play off place more than us earning it - their form was horrendous. Their last 13 games of the season were W2 D7 L4 and they went from 4th, 3 points off autos, to 8th and out of the playoffs.

Table late Feb:

1597408527311.png

Speed up to immediately after the Yeovil game:

1597408228838.png

and then with 2 games to go, the situation hasn't really changed, we stretched the gap from 2 to 3 points but still had a worse GD than them. A bad result against Cheltenham and we'd have been in real trouble. Fortuantely everything came together for that game and we smashed them:

1597408303716.png

The real turning point of the season was the away draw at Mansfield after Willis had been sent off. We'd lost 3 on the bounce, down to 10 men and losing 1-0. That draw galvanised the whole team.

Liquid Gold

We still lost it, I was just disagreeing with the 'never looked back' comment really.

The results were W3 D1 L2 after the Yeovil game. Half decent form but nothing amazing.

I felt at the time, and still do, that Mansfield lost their play off place more than us earning it - their form was horrendous. Their last 13 games of the season were W2 D7 L4 and they went from 4th, 3 points off autos, to 8th and out of the playoffs.

Table late Feb:

View attachment 16432

Speed up to immediately after the Yeovil game:

View attachment 16430

and then with 2 games to go, the situation hasn't really changed, we stretched the gap from 2 to 3 points but still had a worse GD than them. A bad result against Cheltenham and we'd have been in real trouble. Fortuantely everything came together for that game and we smashed them:

View attachment 16431

The real turning point of the season was the away draw at Mansfield after Willis had been sent off. We'd lost 3 on the bounce, down to 10 men and losing 1-0. That draw galvanised the whole team.
I love your analysis but even if Mansfield didn’t fuck up we’d have then snuck in 7th ahead of Lincoln.

Sky Blue Pete

I love your analysis but even if Mansfield didn’t fuck up we’d have then snuck in 7th ahead of Lincoln.
In one of my conversations with the protagonists in this I talked about the luck in sports. That away game at Notts county was the best we’d played all season!

that penalty decision at home

Sometimes things just go for you and the good thing is that the better your performance overall the more times you find things go for you!

In preparing the council meeting I’ve also been thinking how they must be amazed at what’s happened with the club over the last 3 years. It really is phenomenal

skyblueinBaku

In one of my conversations with the protagonists in this I talked about the luck in sports. That away game at Notts county was the best we’d played all season!

that penalty decision at home

Sometimes things just go for you and the good thing is that the better your performance overall the more times you find things go for you!

In preparing the council meeting I’ve also been thinking how they must be amazed at what’s happened with the club over the last 3 years. It really is phenomenal
Yes, Pete. As the saying goes: "The harder I try, the luckier I get".

Esoterica

I see what you're saying but Lincoln were all but guaranteed playoffs with 2 games to go - they were 6 points clear with a +3 better GD than Mansfield. They coasted through those last 2 games with one eye on the playoffs. I don't think their final 2 results would have been the same if there was anything significant to play for, but then we would also have tried to beat that poor Morecambe side in the final game if it was realy going down to the wire. Appreciate there's a lot of whatiffery there though!

Adge

Mowbray put all his eggs in one basket the season before, it was criminal we didnt make the playoffs. Armstrong, Murphy, Kent, Fleck and Vincelot all left and we didnt replace them.

Team for 4-1 win for top of table clash with Gillingham

• Charles-Cook
  • Ricketts
  • Martin
  • Turner
  • Stokes
  • Vincelot
  • Fleck
  • Kent
  • O'Brien
  • Murphy
  • Armstrong
Team for relegation in 1-1 draw with charlton.

• Burge
  • Willis
  • Turnbull
  • Rawson
  • Haynes
  • Thomas
  • Stevenson
  • Bigirimana
  • Jones
  • Lameiras
  • Beavon
Jesus! That team against Charlton-shocking!

pipkin73

• Charles-Cook - holds our record for 578 minutes without conceding goal. Not great but done a job when needed
  • Ricketts . Knee problems caused him to retire
  • Martin - the least said the better
  • Turner - came back to us but got injured, looked like a rock before
  • Stokes - was replaced when we went up but never let us down
  • Vincelot - We were pissed of when sold
  • Fleck - Now playing Premier League (not premiership, that is rugby)
  • Kent - part of a brilliant and fast flowing front 3 , we missed his speed when he left
  • O'Brien - average is about all i can say
  • Murphy - part of a brilliant and fast flowing front 3, 9 goals if i remember correct
  • Armstrong - part of a brilliant and fast flowing front 3 and after a barren spell he got his 20 in the season
I really don't think that it a shocking team and wouldn't mind a few back

just realised that was the team for the game against Gillingham, sorry.

Last edited:

pipkin73

That team against Charlton is so bad i don't think i'd even pick Jones lol. When you look at it only Willis and Jones have a chance to get in this team and i think Willis is only back-up now and Jones we have to wait and see but did anyone notice, his legs look much bulkier than before. I think he has built them up, which means he will feel safer for it and have more confidence in himself not to get injured again.
The weird thing is Willis, Turnbull and Burge all left thinking they were to good for us. Stevenson left for Wolves (as he had a cold) but Lameiras had a great time at i think Plymouth and scored a couple against us. The only one i can say left us out of that lot and at least equalled what he had here, the rest for me have gone backwards.

Last edited:

TomRad85

Scary thing is, I don't even think that was the worse 11 we fielded that season. Absolute dog turd of a team/season.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Adge

Scary thing is, I don't even think that was the worse 11 we fielded that season. Absolute dog turd of a team/season.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yep-an absolute embarrassment collectively and individualy.

BornSlippySkyBlue

That team against Charlton is so bad i don't think i'd even pick Jones lol. When you look at it only Willis and Jones have a chance to get in this team and i think Willis is only back-up now and Jones we have to wait and see but did anyone notice, his legs look much bulkier than before. I think he has built them up, which means he will feel safer for it and have more confidence in himself not to get injured again.
The weird thing is Willis, Turnbull and Burge all left thinking they were to good for us. Stevenson left for Wolves (as he had a cold) but Lameiras had a great time at i think Plymouth and scored a couple against us. The only one i can say left us out of that lot and at least equalled what he had here, the rest for me have gone backwards.
We followed Jones from the car park round to the entrance at St Andrews last season and i was struck by how muscular his legs were. Didn’t remember him looking so bulky before. He also does that young man’s thing with his aftershave and puts about half a bottle on!

Users who are viewing this thread