Who is good enough next season? (1 Viewer)

Otis

The hyperbole around Simms is ridiculous. Difficult to argue that he didn't start the season poorly, but the last few games before last night he'd started playing really well. We change formation, he has a poor game and suddenly he's the worst player to ever wear a City shirt again.
Yup, I don't get it. Yes, he ballooned a number of shots over the bar last night, but so too did Palmer and Torp.

No-one had their shooting boots on last night.

I like Simms and think we should stick with him. Just had a bad night, as did so many others.

fernandopartridge

Robins said there will be plenty of activity this summer. Will be another exodus.

Out of all the signings in the summer and in Jan the only players who have impressed me or you can see the potential are:

- Tatsu (best player/value by miles for what we paid)
- Torp (worth the money and will be a class operator for us)
- Wright (will show his best for us next season)
- Simms (genuinely think he will get better, and not helped with not having the right players or formation to suit him)
- MVE (there’s a player there but he needs to start expressing his best on the pitch. At the moment he is inconsistent for £3.5m)
- Lati (fine as a utility/squad player not sure he’s the future)

Other who I don’t think are good enough from the signings

- Kitching (no where near what I expect from a £4.5m defender and been a liability )
- Thomas (blows hot and cold and not worth £2m and also a liability at times)
- Collins (number 2 material)
- JDS isn’t good enough
- Binks average and will be gone anyway

We are nowhere near having a squad that can compete.
Weird take, Thomas, Kitching and Collins have all contributed more than Lati who like somebody says seems to be a jack of all trades master of none. It's not coincidence that the aforementioned trio played in virtually all of our good wins in the good run.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Otis

I am thinking we should have a good squad next year.

Happy with Kitching and Thomas and Torp, Sheaf and Eccles. Then we have Sakamoto and Mason-Clark.

I don't mind Wright or Simms either, but do think we need another striker in and perhaps a better keeper.

I think it's a solid foundation we've got though for the next campaign.

Martw

Collins - Number 2 for me
Wilson - get rid to anyone
Moore - He will be gone
MVE - needs to sort his shit out
Burroughs - I think theres a player there
Thomas - in the air hes Maldini. On the floor he's sometimes Kevin Malaga
Kitching - good player
Latibeaudiere- jack of all trades. Master of none
Binks - cant see him staying
Bidwell - will be off and i dont see why
DaSilva - shite
Torp - good player
Sheaf - best player
Eccles - just never seems to push on does he? Fine as a squad player
Kelly - will be gone
Allen - will be gone
O'Hare - will be gone but id let him rot now the leagues over. Try get your prem move now ballbag
Palmer - one minute hes messi, the next hes just messy
Tats - fantastic player
EMC - Great rep lets see
Wright - i still think he will be a very good player for us and he's a lot better than Simms
Godden - Will be gone
Simms - utter dross, stealing a living
Tavares - will be gone

A lot of people are saying we can give it a 'proper go' next season. My response to that is can we? Really? Hence the above. We STILL need major surgery to give it a real go.

For me its crucial that Vik moves on this summer. £12 million could get us the striker, O'Hare replacement and LB we so sorely need

If he doesn't, well. I fail to see whos going to bring us any serious money in from a sale
Some very good judgments here - would disagree with a couple but that all - I’d get rid of Palmer personally - on his day he is a world beater but his day happens way too rarely. Presuming we might get a few hundred K for him and I would sell

stupot07

Weird take, Thomas, Kitching and Collins have all contributed more than Lati who like somebody says seems to be a jack of all trades master of none. It's not coincidence that the aforementioned trio played in virtually all of our good wins in the good run.

Yeah, you go to our best run of performances

-------------------Collins (dropped)
MVE--- Thomas --- Kitching (dropped) - Bidwell (dropped)
---------------Eccles--Sheaf (injured)
Saka (injured) - O'Hare---- Wright (dropped)
----------------Simms/Godden

Whilst Saka and Sheaf are both injured, it's been Robins tinkering dropping half the tram that were doing so well.

On our run this time last year, the team was virtually the same every game.

Martw

Collins - Number 2 for me
Wilson - get rid to anyone
Moore - He will be gone
MVE - needs to sort his shit out
Burroughs - I think theres a player there
Thomas - in the air hes Maldini. On the floor he's sometimes Kevin Malaga
Kitching - good player
Latibeaudiere- jack of all trades. Master of none
Binks - cant see him staying
Bidwell - will be off and i dont see why
DaSilva - shite
Torp - good player
Sheaf - best player
Eccles - just never seems to push on does he? Fine as a squad player
Kelly - will be gone
Allen - will be gone
O'Hare - will be gone but id let him rot now the leagues over. Try get your prem move now ballbag
Palmer - one minute hes messi, the next hes just messy
Tats - fantastic player
EMC - Great rep lets see
Wright - i still think he will be a very good player for us and he's a lot better than Simms
Godden - Will be gone
Simms - utter dross, stealing a living
Tavares - will be gone

A lot of people are saying we can give it a 'proper go' next season. My response to that is can we? Really? Hence the above. We STILL need major surgery to give it a real go.

For me its crucial that Vik moves on this summer. £12 million could get us the striker, O'Hare replacement and LB we so sorely need

If he doesn't, well. I fail to see whos going to bring us any serious money in from a sale
I don’t think Simms is dross and they will surely give him a second season but it’s fair to say he needs to be better

shmmeee

Yeah, you go to our best run of performances

-------------------Collins (dropped)
MVE--- Thomas --- Kitching (dropped) - Bidwell (dropped)
---------------Eccles--Sheaf (injured)
Saka (injured) - O'Hare---- Wright (dropped)
----------------Simms/Godden

Whilst Saka and Sheaf are both injured, it's been Robins tinkering dropping half the tram that were doing so well.

On our run this time last year, the team was virtually the same every game.

Id add to that MvE (Tired) Thomas (Tired) Eccles (Tired) O’Hare (Not Arsed)

Jamesimus

To change the flavour a little bit, been thinking about what we need to add in terms of player qualities. Said before I think we need 8 to round out the squad: GK, LB, RB, CB, CM, AM, RW, ST

GK - Someone who can command their box. Genuine think it would make a huge difference. Though I do really like Collins distribution and shot stopping.
LB - Mirror MvE. A modern fullback who can defend like Bidwell and attack/is comfortable on the ball like Dasilva
CB - New Fadz. Some experience and leadership. And a threat at corners.
RB - A more defensive minded player for cover and holding out games
CM - Someone who can ping a pass. It’s literally all I want.
ST - Someone who can strike a ball. That’s it. That’s the requirement.
RW - Saka clone

Fairly sure we used 25 or 26 most seasons and are in the bottom three of players used. I think you need 22 you are happy to play plus three or four fringe players if you want to avoid what’s happened this season.

That’s fair, maybe some of the youngsters as fringe players?

stupot07

Id add to that MvE (Tired) Thomas (Tired) Eccles (Tired) O’Hare (Not Arsed)
Yes, I'd agree with that, but it was more the unnecessary tinkering, too many changes most games. And then not managing fatigue properly.

shmmeee

That’s fair, maybe some of the youngsters as fringe players?

Yeah, we’ve got Burroughs and Howley back, plus maybe Andrews or someone like Moore steps up. TBH I’d include someone like Allen who I think is worth keeping around for continuity, even Tavares for his final year. As really they’d be doing the job Andrews and Lusala are doing now. We’re losing Fadz Kelly Godden O’Hare and possibly Wilson, lots of big characters from the old school. I think getting leadership in will be as important as numbers and positions TBH.

Martw

I don’t get the fans who are like who cares when viktor keeps scoring

I care, as it could be the difference between getting what we need to mount a real challenge or not

I think we need 6 players or so of real quality, I don’t think there’s as much needed as you think

CB
LB
CM
CAM
RW
ST

then a goalie if we can but as an extra
I have felt for a few years now that somehow we’ve always got by with our Keepers. I for one wouldn’t mind a bit of money being spent on one

stupot07

Yeah, we’ve got Burroughs and Howley back, plus maybe Andrews or someone like Moore steps up. TBH I’d include someone like Allen who I think is worth keeping around for continuity, even Tavares for his final year. As really they’d be doing the job Andrews and Lusala are doing now. We’re losing Fadz Kelly Godden O’Hare and possibly Wilson, lots of big characters from the old school. I think getting leadership in will be as important as numbers and positions TBH.

Howley can't get a game in Scotland, he needs to go out on loan again or be moved on. At least Burroughs have played virtually every game he's been available for.

Grendel

The hyperbole around Simms is ridiculous. Difficult to argue that he didn't start the season poorly, but the last few games before last night he'd started playing really well. We change formation, he has a poor game and suddenly he's the worst player to ever wear a City shirt again.

He hasn’t been playing really well if you take the Maidstone game out of the equation.

He’s done ok. He looks miles off a top championship player.

Great_Expectations

Can we not all lose the plot because of two poor performances and subsequent results. Without two massive players (Sakamoto, Sheaf) and our main creative force already playing in LaLiga (in his head).

The team below is more than strong enough to challenge next year.

GK (albeit Collins is fine)
MVE Thomas Kitching NEW LB
Sheaf Torp
Sakamoto New 10 New LW
Simms​

Caveats;
The 10 and LB replacements are massive - they need to be ready made and have a near immediate impact
EMC starts on the bench but soon becomes direct competition for a starting wide slot
Wright is fine as a starting LW but he needs to find his pre injury form and if we can get a real consistent game changer then Wright will also have to start on the bench and compete
Simms and MVE continue to develop and find some consistency

It also requires a strong bench with options who can change a game and easily switch with any of the starting XI, to the point it’s a constant challenge for MR.

Collins
Lati
Eccles
Palmer
EMC
Wright
New Striker (direct starting competitor)
New Striker (high potential)
New ball playing CM (high potential)

I know Simms is back to being “shit” but he will come good. Wright I am more concerned about.

Martw

Looking forward to seeing who goes down as it's always worth seeing who can be raided. If Stoke go I'd snap your hand off for Burger, likewise Millwall and Flemming, Huddersfield and Rudoni. All become easier/cheaper to get if relegated.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Did McNally go on loan to Stoke . Appreciate Burnley are coming down but I would absolutely try and get him in - he would flourish here

napolimp

This is the actual incomings required.

Definitely

1x CB
1x Winger
1x No. 9 (to compete with Simms)

Maybes

1x GK (if Wilson goes)
1x RB (if Burroughs not used)
1x CM (if Allen goes)
1x AM (if O'hare goes)

Grendel

Can we not all lose the plot because of two poor performances and subsequent results. Without two massive players (Sakamoto, Sheaf) and our main creative force already playing in LaLiga (in his head).

Sheaf Torp
Sakamoto New 10 New LW
Simms​

Caveats;
The 10 and LB replacements are massive - they need to be ready made and have a near immediate impact
EMC starts on the bench but soon becomes direct competition for a starting wide slot
Wright is fine as a starting LW but he needs to find his pre injury form and if we can get a real consistent game changer then Wright will also have to start on the bench and compete

It also requires a strong bench with options who can change a game and easily switch with any of the starting XI, to the point it’s a constant challenge for MR.

Collins
Lati
Eccles
Palmer
EMC
Wright

I know Simms is back to being “shit” but he will come good. Wright I am more concerned about.

Why are you saying simms will come good? Based on what?

Wright to be fair to him is a good intelligent player. He needs more consistency but he’s at least a polished complete footballer.

An Everton fan I know laughed when we signed Simms and said he’s lived off the one goal against Chelsea but - in his words not mine - said he’s a dopey c**t - and fans groaned when he came on.

Sandgroper Skybluel

Most of what we have here is a great starting point, a better one than we've had for years .. as has been said all season the recruitment most people are dissatisfied with is the strikers , the rest has been very solid .

With 5 or 6 good signings next season we will be a real force in this league , remember we are 9th now and have been in and around the playoffs until a couple of big injuries
Spot on people questioning Wright need to give there heads a wobble, his ceiling for improvement is huge aswell. Core of a very good Champ team is already there. Two seasoned CM's and retaining Sheafo are imperative to improving next season. Torp and Sheaf will boss plenty of games when they get a run together. I'd say we'll only get to enjoy them for one full season.

AiS86

Why Allen? In him we have a dependable rotation mid with the running that the rest of our midfielders don't have. He's a good squad player, and it's a hard sell to a new player coming in to say you'll pretty much be behind Sheaf, Torp and maybe Eccles in the pecking order. He seems pretty content with his status here, and he if he wanted to be a guaranteed starter, he'd have to go to a lesser club

Nick

Administrator
A jack of all trades is usually pretty useful to have in a squad. Latibeaudiere is a perfectly capable utility player who can fill in or be subbed on when needed, but I’m not surprised to see him struggle when he’s being asked to start in a different key position in every game. He’s started at CB, CM and RB in the last three matches, he’s not exactly being set up for success.
Exactly, not really his fault but that's on robins. It's like when he used to play dabo at centre half or left back instead of players who actually play there.

AiS86

Agree with most of that except MVE is just as bad as, if not worse than, Dasilva. Both full back positions need upgrading
Really? You haven't mentioned it a number of times now across multiple threads and realised you're the only one who holds that opinion. It's almost like it's bollocks

SkyBlue_Bear83

Wow! Wright is a squad player but Mason-Clark, a player who hasn't played a minute for us or in the Championship, goes straight into the team.

Absolutely no credibility, just delete your account.
It's a bit of an assumption that Mason Clark has been signed to go into the first team from myself but of course he has to prove himself and he will drop down the order if he doesn't deliver.

Wright might be being harsh but unless he improves bit I see him as being a useful squad player who plays around 50-75% of the time rather than being first name on the team sheet when everyone is fit and available.

SBT

It's a bit of an assumption that Mason Clark has been signed to go into the first team from myself but of course he has to prove himself and he will drop down the order if he doesn't deliver.

Wright might be being harsh but unless he improves bit I see him as being a useful squad player who plays around 50-75% of the time rather than being first name on the team sheet when everyone is fit and available.
There is no way that two players who we’ve signed for £3 million and £7 million respectively should be “squad players”. The same applies to Kitching too.

AiS86

I have to keep mentioning it because it’s the only way to drill some sense into the deluded morons on here who believe he is a “great” player despite him doing next to nothing this season.
Except you're being dimissed as it's stupid. Some people are over-hyping him a bit, but you're going the complete opposite way which is far more deluded. He's largely been a dependable defender and worked well with Sakamoto which brought about some of our best form this season

Flying Fokker

Sheaf Torp
Sakamoto New 10 New LW
Simms​

Caveats;

Collins
Lati
Eccles
Palmer
EMC
Wright

Wright takes a decent penalty. He’s better than you think. He’ll certainly be pushing for the starting line-up.

Flying Fokker

Why are you saying simms will come good? Based on what?

Wright to be fair to him is a good intelligent player. He needs more consistency but he’s at least a polished complete footballer.

An Everton fan I know laughed when we signed Simms and said he’s lived off the one goal against Chelsea but - in his words not mine - said he’s a dopey c**t - and fans groaned when he came on.
You sort of answer your own question about simms in your statement about wright. Unless Simms can’t be polished. I believe if Viktor came good, he can.

Boicey

Wright takes a decent penalty. He’s better than you think. He’ll certainly be pushing for the starting line-up.
Wright has been at 7 clubs in 8 years. There might be a reason for that other than him liking travel and diverse cultures.

Boicey

You sort of answer your own question about simms in your statement about wright. Unless Simms can’t be polished. I believe if Viktor came good, he can.
Do you really believe Simms can become a £100m Premiership player with a bit of coaching? Because some other really talented guy likely will?

Users who are viewing this thread