Transfer Rumour Who gives the OK? (1 Viewer)

edgy

Who has the final say on our transfers?

We have had a couple of strange looking transfers in the last window.

Sakamoto - I am quietly impressed by him and his attributes. But he isn't a wing back. He looks like a winger. We don't play wingers. Was he brought in to play AM? If so, then why not more minutes there - it currently looks a tussle between Ayari (signed after Saka) and Palmer.

Wright - £7m (or whatever). £7m. At 25 years old. Those two facts need to equal a ready made player in our world. He currently looks like some one we have slight hopes for from the u18s but can't cut the step up. Who on earth thought that kind of money in our world should be spent on someone we can "work with". And I'm not righting him off either, he could well come good in time. But is that a £7m player?

I'm not one for slagging players personally. It has no benefit whatsoever. Questions need to be asked above the players.

Evo1883

I'd imagine the scouts tell the manager and adi , and they take it to Douglas waffy hair who gives the ok

edgy

I'd imagine the scouts tell the manager and adi , and they take it to Douglas waffy hair who gives the ok

Do you not think Mark and Adi should be running some sort of ultimate rule over the proposed player? Or is it a case of "if the scouts are happy, crack on"

Evo1883

Do you not think Mark and Adi should be running some sort of ultimate rule over the proposed player? Or is it a case of "if the scouts are happy, crack on"

I guess if you can't trust your scouts then why are they employed ?

I also think the manager will have a part in the final say , also its a difficult one because many players are looked at because of data , if the analytical data is good for them , then that's often enough ..

With Wright for example , several big clubs were interested so they've all seen something that we haven't so far

harvey098

Yeah I’m disappointed I have to admit.

having said that;

Latibeaudiere was one of the very few that had a good game last night and has been solid all season.

Van Ewijk looks worth the money spent on him so far.

Da Silva looks competent and gives us a different dynamic to Bidwell (who I like btw)

Thomas looked great until Watford but there’s definitely a good player in there and remember how many clangers Fadz dropped when he first came in. I think BT will come good.

BUT at the other end of the pitch I don’t like any of the new signings tbh.

edgy

having said that;

Latibeaudiere was one of the very few that had a good game last night and has been solid all season.

Da Silva looks competent and gives us a different dynamic to Bidwell (who I like btw)

Thomas looked great until Watford but there’s definitely a good player in there and remember how many clangers Fadz dropped when he first came in. I think BT will come good.

Agree with all of that. It's compounded by the money spent in that area too.

slowpoke

having said that;

No way should Thomas have been dropped, yes he should have done better for two of Watfords goals, shit happens in a football match.
But I thought apart from those errors he had a decent game and against good attacking players.

CCFC54321

Agree with all of that. It's compounded by the money spent in that area too.
At the moment wright and simms are £200,000 signings on the same level as bakayoko.

Robins and the coaching staff need to bridge a performance gap of £10m plus to get value out of them.

They can’t get much worse…. Can they?

edgy

At the moment wright and simms are £200,000 signings on the same level as bakayoko.

Robins and the coaching staff need to bridge a performance gap of £10m plus to get value out of them.

They can’t get much worse…. Can they?

Dont entirely agree with bringing Simms into this topic. He is younger and has done well at this level previously. You can see those factors can add up to a decent fee.

Skyblueweeman

We're still relatively early in their Sky Blue careers. I'm confident the majority will be successful.

As for signings, I'm pretty sure Evos post (2nd on this thread) is spot on.

covmutley

I think were in danger of over stating this, licking wounds from a very average start and a very bad night. We lost Hamer late on in a pre-season cut short by plays offs, and Robins said we need time.

Lats, dasilva, ayari sakamtto all look good. I refuse to believe Wright is actually as bad as his performance last night, and I do think Simms will come good. Kitchin played about 15 mins, but no reason to think he wont be good too.

Allen came on an made some good passe,s and I hope COH will be back soon? There is no doubt we have better squad depth, just need the team to improve. Thats for Robins, really. And no reason to think hes suddenly become a bad manager.

Martin180

Recruitment is a strange one across the leagues , look at Leicester with Kante and Mahrez then they had more money and blew it .
Everton another example of bad money being spent
What happened to managers and their staff going to games to scout players ?
Always remember the Stuart Pearce story when Gould and Howe went to watch another player , saw Pearce put in a couple of crunching tackles and left early . Howe was rumoured to remark that the player they had come to watch hadn't touched the ball yet but Gould had seen enough in Pearce to see a player
Weird how things change and not always for the better

nicksar

Robins/Viveash/Lawrence identify the areas of the team they need to strengthen,the recruitment team seek out suitable players to target and check availability etc..Robins then decides which ones to pursue (he's on
Record as saying he spoke to all the players he wanted).
Obviously Doug King has the final say re fees etc and does that part of the negotiations.
It's incorrect to suggest the recruitment team just hand players on a plate to Robins.

pusbccfc

When Robins was asked about Sakamoto...

Asked how his move came about, the manager revealed: “Through the work that the recruitment lads are doing. We were looking at players and there were other players we were looking at and then, all of a sudden, someone jumps out. They passed it onto me to have a look at and then you get a feel for them. But they (Dean Austin and his team) do the groundwork.”

This is a worry for me. Thought it at the time. We've spent £1.5m on a player that's just jumped out at them. That's a proper gamble.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I preferred being poor and shit to spending money and being shit. Less disappointing.

Perhaps Mark Robins should stick to free transfers and loan players.

quinn1971

Pretty sure when we signed wright and simms everyone was raving how good they would be, they’ll both come good, its the midfield that’s the problem,even gykores would struggle in this team,can’t score if Your not getting chances, think it’s time to give simms and godden a good run, wright would be better off the bench with his pace

fatso

We need a fit O'hare back.
And although I've slated him in the past for being a lightweight, I have to admit we've missed Allen too (even though he couldn't tackle his way out of a brown paper bag, even if said bag was on fire)
But we desperately need to get to Jan so we can find another striker, because Wright and Simms aren't the answer, and never will be, and I don't care how long you give them, because polishing 2 turds won't make them diamonds, ...... just shiny turds!

In fact I'd willingly swap Simms and Wright for Walker and Waghorn tomorrow and fuck the 10+ million we wasted.

Boicey

I would expect Robins to personally spend a lot of time researching any scouting recommendation.
it’s job on line stuff if you get it badly wrong.

Finham

We need a fit O'hare back.
And although I've slated him in the past for being a lightweight, I have to admit we've missed Allen too (even though he couldn't tackle his way out of a brown paper bag, even if said bag was on fire)
But we desperately need to get to Jan so we can find another striker, because Wright and Simms aren't the answer, and never will be, and I don't care how long you give them, because polishing 2 turds won't make them diamonds, ...... just shiny turds!

In fact I'd willingly swap Simms and Wright for Walker and Waghorn tomorrow and fuck the 10+ million we wasted.
Wouldn't the fire make it harder/burn his little feet?

Skybluedownunder

I also think the manager will have a part in the final say , also its a difficult one because many players are looked at because of data , if the analytical data is good for them , then that's often enough ..

With Wright for example , several big clubs were interested so they've all seen something that we haven't so far

My only guess is sometimes these clubs aren’t perhaps interested and it’s more the case of an agent saying they are to drum up interest in their client.

Like we probably were never interested in Billy Sharp, Sam Gallagher for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boicey

Obviously Doug has the final say because he controls the money.
But responsibility for identifying which players to bring in lies with the manager.

Sick Boy

It’ll be down to Robins to have the final say.
We’re rapidly approaching Thorn territory where it was claimed he was only responsible for the one or two better signings and was effectively being held hostage for the rest.

Boicey

You would expect a manager to do a lot more than look at data for a multi million pound purchase. At least watch some full games played, have a report on local sports media views etc.

Ashdown

Who was the scout we brought in from the scumbags Leicester ……Is this the same guy who most Leicester fans say advised them so badly in and before their relegation year🤔

ProfessorbyGrace

When Robins was asked about Sakamoto...

Asked how his move came about, the manager revealed: “Through the work that the recruitment lads are doing. We were looking at players and there were other players we were looking at and then, all of a sudden, someone jumps out. They passed it onto me to have a look at and then you get a feel for them. But they (Dean Austin and his team) do the groundwork.”

This is a worry for me. Thought it at the time. We've spent £1.5m on a player that's just jumped out at them. That's a proper gamble.
To me, it implies a slight division between the recruitment team, and the management/coaching staff. 🤷‍♂️

If recruitment are doing all of the ‘groundwork’ and going over MR/AV’s head a bit, then this won’t end well. Especially if these signings don’t prosper.

edgy

"They passed it onto me to have a look at and then you get a feel for them."

Doesn't sound like MR is going blind into these signing to me.

slowpoke

Who was the scout we brought in from the scumbags Leicester ……Is this the same guy who most Leicester fans say advised them so badly in and before their relegation year🤔
I believe he was their overseas scout for over 10years so yes I’m sure he was responsible for the first team and not the manager at the time.
Incidentally look at their overseas players a number sold on for millions.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

"They passed it onto me to have a look at and then you get a feel for them."

Doesn't sound like MR is going blind into these signing to me.
But doesn't sound like he's exactly going into detail either.

Users who are viewing this thread