Who Do You Miss? (1 Viewer)

LewSkyBlue

I know its all ifs and buts but a bit of fun I was talking to someone at work about the players we used to have and if we could of had such and such at the same time as so and so etc etc and it got me thinking of players i wish we never sold/got rid of... dublin, hadji, hucks, suffo, konjic to name a few. Even in more recent times, doyle, osbourne (best player ever), big dele. Who do you miss and why

LewSkyBlue

roland i had forgot about :O i feel ashamed to have forgotten him..... i was a kid when he was playing for us but i remember he would head anything, even at kicking level he would get down and head it :D legend

Colonel Mustard

John Eustace and Stern John were booed out of the club prematurely. Also miss Thompson in midfield - sad the way his career ended up.

harvey098

I miss a mifsud type player. Someone unpredictable who gets you off your feet even if there is no end product on most occasions!

The closest we've had since is nimley, minus the goal scoring!

kingharvest

That single year watching Robbie Keane was one of the most joyous I've had.

Special mention for Ndlovu too. We've had better players, but he was capable of doing something from nothing

Black6Osprey

George Boateng was almost unstoppable when he joined us. Loved it when he and Macca played together. I remember away in the cup at Liverpool when we beat them 3-1, he made Ince and Redknapp look like a couple of part timers.

Godiva

We miss Robbie Keane ... AND the £13m we got for him!

Nonleagueherewecome

Gynn, Borrows (class act for years, shoulda played for England), McGrath and Speeeeeeeedo.

Nonleagueherewecome

Even though I wasn't all that old, I can still remember Chris Marsden as one that got away.

I'll never forget his debut (he says..)-was it that game against Swindon that SKY decided to cover at the last minute as their game had been called off? Anyway, it was an evening game and he absolutely ran that midfield, waltzed through players at will and passed with such elegance and poise. It was actually a while after we failed to make his loan move permanent that he made it to the top flight and enjoyed a few seasons in the limelight-he was top flight football's "one who got away" as much as he was ours, he should have played there for most of his career. Or at least as much as Julian Darby did.

Sick Boy

I'll never forget his debut (he says..)-was it that game against Swindon that SKY decided to cover at the last minute as their game had been called off? Anyway, it was an evening game and he absolutely ran that midfield, waltzed through players at will and passed with such elegance and poise. It was actually a while after we failed to make his loan move permanent that he made it to the top flight and enjoyed a few seasons in the limelight-he was top flight football's "one who got away" as much as he was ours, he should have played there for most of his career. Or at least as much as Julian Darby did.

Can you remember why we didn't make the move permanent? I can remember everyone raving about him!

Was the Swindon game the one where they equalised in the final minutes and their fans went mental?

JulianDarbyFTW

Can you remember why we didn't make the move permanent? I can remember everyone raving about him!

Was the Swindon game the one where they equalised in the final minutes and their fans went mental?

Apparently Wolves came in for him on the back of that performance, and they were a bigger attraction to him.

I really miss David Speedie. A player who would fight until the end, and had the best range of chip-shots that I've ever had the pleasure to witness. One of my first games was the 4-3 Middlesbrough game where he scored a hat-trick of headers (iirc), and he climbed to the top of the fencing/gates to celebrate his third.

I also miss Micky Quinn. A goalscorer who could score 20 yarders or tap-ins.

Last edited:

LewSkyBlue

Aww everyone happy remembering the good old days. We werent always that bad. Like i said if we had some of those players at the same time we would of been the barcelona of english football :D

aussiedan

player I miss (going back a bit though)

two wingers Ronnie Rees and Wee Willie Humphries with George Hudson in the middle
if we could turn back time;):p

Stevec189

Tommy Hutchinson and Ian Wallace and Big Mick Ferguson! Terry Yorath and Barry Powell in a team that played 4-2-4 all season on we're going to score one more than you attitude. Great stuff to watch for all supporters since we scored plenty of goals and cockaded a fair few as well!

PUSB

Ronfarmer

Terry Yorath is a good shout. Probably not the best player but a magnificent captain. He would shake up the present team.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
George Boateng was almost unstoppable when he joined us. Loved it when he and Macca played together. I remember away in the cup at Liverpool when we beat them 3-1, he made Ince and Redknapp look like a couple of part timers.

Just to add that this was probably the best Coventry display I've ever seen. If anyone has it on tape/dvd, I'd pay good money!

ccfcdan

I remember standing in the crowd with my little sister cheering on big Mo as he stormed the length of the pitch smashing his way past the opposition. I don't think he ever scored from one of his runs though? And then he was shocking against us for Derby. He loved our club and still does! Mohammmmed woooooo mohammmmmed woooo, he comes from Bosnia, he is a big fecker. Mohammmed woooo

Last edited:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Keane
Whelan
Huckerby
Thompson
Frogatt
McAllister
Hedman
Dublin
Hadji
Chippo

All the players I grew up with in the 90s :(

Edit: I also remember on the way home from games in them days my Grandad would always moan about the players.. Ahh if only we were still in that position now!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread