Who could/should you have supported? (2 Viewers)

Otis

Been doing my family history and nearly everything on the one side of my family (my dad's side) points to the city of Nottingham. Dad born in Nottingham, his mum and dad born in Nottingham, their mum and dad born in Nottingham and on and on way back until 1600. One of my relatives even has a street named after him in Nottingham.

I know one of my uncles did this ancestry thing about 25 years ago (unfortunately deceased now so I can't ask him), and he said he had traced the one side of my family all the way back to Sherwood Forest in 1066.

Therefore I think I should be a Notts County supporter and if the City lose many more games this season I think I may well switch.

Just think if my dad had told me all this history when I was little I would have been a Notts County fan. He never said owt and just took me up the City.

So, looking back at your dad, your granddad and your great granddad etc.,if there is pretty much a constant with city, town or area of birth, who could you have been supporting instead of the City?

Hobo

Well Coventry is where I was born and grew up so Coventry made sense.

If I went down the parents route it would have been Ballymena United or Worcester City. No real head turners there!

skybluetony176

My family on my dads side are from a mix of Northamptonshire and Scotland, my mums is from Northern Ireland and almost exclusively Liverpool fans (obviously). Both Irish and Scottish ansestory is Protestant. So I’m a mongral Rangers, Liverpool and cobblers fan by history.

However I was born in Rugby, Coventry is the nearest city and historically was in the same county plus I started watching CCFC while living in Coventry for a while. I’ll stick with CCFC.

hinckley cov

Mom from sussex and supported Brighton and Hove Albion and dad was a Brummie and a blue nose. I’ve been sky blue since I was 6 no other team for me.

mark82

I'm another potential Notts County. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them as I used to occasionally go to watch them with my Grandpa as a kid.

Could also go the Leicester or Spurs route.

ConnorDevine

I was born in Leicester and my dad's side of the family a few generations back are from Hull area.

Apart from the premier league win out of nowhere I'm not too jealous

Citysince47

Mum was a Yorkshire lass Dad from Coventry Dad took Mum back to Yorkshire for my birth (so I could play cricket for them- so he said) Nearest team to my place of birth was Burnley, Still the only other team I look out for - well after RB Salzburg

Sbarcher

Dad and grandad were Sunderland ST holders. Moved to Warwick at an early age and went to HR with a friend of my father. Got a ST when I was 12 and followed ever since. Just think, could have been a Jimmy hater back then!

rupert_bear

Dad was from Barnoldswick, Burnley being his local team, when I started getting interested in footie Burnley, Wolves and Spurs where the top teams so I followed the Burnley results. But Jimmy Hill thankfully turned up so any idea of not following the Sky Blues vanished. Dad became a season ticket holder for years and was as much a city fan as he was ever Burnley. As a coincidence our first ever top flight match was at Burnley fitting really.

Otis

If I went down the parents route it would have been Ballymena United or Worcester City. No real head turners there!
Yeah, I was born in Coventry and so too my mum. Thought the lineage would extend further back, but no, my mum is the last one. Her family were from Brailes, a small village near Shipston upon Stour. Moved to Coventry for work.

One side of my family were Brailes and Shipston and around there and the other pretty much all exclusively Nottingham.

Sick Boy

Both parents are Irish but I have the misfortune of having been born born in Leicester thanks to being 3 months premature. My dad is a Spurs fan and I very nearly supported them but ended up supporting CCFC due to the cup final win.

Ashdown

Born in Cov, so were my parents and all of their parents lived in Cov for most of their lives too and even their parents before them { although they had both Banbury and Birmingham connections }, My Uncles and Aunties all live/d in the City and at least one cousin does also. My Mum's Dad regaled me with stories of watching City and Clarrie Bourton in the 1930's with his Dad and brothers. I couldn't really have been anything else, although I had a soft spot for the famous Leeds Utd team of the early 70's !

RegTheDonk

Grandparents on my dads side were from Oxford, I think they moved to Cov to work in one of the war factories which was a bit suicidal. Parents and myself all born in Cov, my dad still lives in Radford, my brother in Counden. If not for Adolf I could have been crying at Wembley this year.

stupot07

Newcastle United. My Nan on my mums side is Geordie, and from a huge family. If you did my family tree, a good 60-70% would be from Newcastle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Reverend Skyblue

Born in Banbury but lived in a village near Brackley so my dad originally followed Northampton in the early to mid sixties and took me along when I was very young, they were decent back then but imploded and went down the leagues very quickly, so the turncoat decided to take in a few games at Cov ,fell in love with the club and Highfield Road and the rest is history.

Citysince47

Dad was from Barnoldswick, Burnley being his local team, when I started getting interested in footie Burnley, Wolves and Spurs where the top teams so I followed the Burnley results. But Jimmy Hill thankfully turned up so any idea of not following the Sky Blues vanished. Dad became a season ticket holder for years and was as much a city fan as he was ever Burnley. As a coincidence our first ever top flight match was at Burnley fitting really.
Hi RupertBear Barlick as where my mum was from. Still got cousins living there

bringbackrattles

My dad was born in Northamptonshire. But grew up in Rugby. My mum was born in Coventry and me and my sister were both born at Gulson Hospital,which I hear makes us true Coventrians. Never done a family tree but it sounds interesting. My sister has lived in Leicestershire for over 30 years and she now has an East Midlands accent. Her husband my brother-in-law now supports Leicester rugby team, and says he has no Connection at all with Coventry, even though he was born and raised here. I call him a traitor but he laughs it off !

Skyblueweeman

Ballymena? Boooo! Coleraine all the way ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll Never Beat McPake

My parents and both sets of grandparents all born in Coventry. I was born in Gulson road hospital so Cov were the only team for me. Although I was the first real football fan in the family. Got hooked after 1970 World Cup. Took myself up highfield toad with school mate in mid 70’s to watch a 0-0 draw with Leeds Utd. Never really followed any other teams but did have favourite players like Colin Bell (Man City), Peter Lorimer (Leeds) & Mick Channon (Southampton). My poor son never really had an option other than to follow Sky Blues.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Dad and mum born in Cov first went aged 7 against West Ham in 1975 no option really its in the blood.
Even though I live away now I still get that tingle feeling when we score/win.

ashbyjan

My Dad is originally from Warsaw but was brought up in Bolton when he came to this country so its Legia or The Trotters - think I will stick with City as he has since moving to Coventry 57 years ago.

letsallsingtogether

As my Dad was a Serb it would have to be Partisan Belgrade failing that as he started off in Bedford it could have been them or Luton

Users who are viewing this thread