Who’s Next? (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Lets say miracles happen and we get O’Hare on a new deal, and a Hamer replacement in to play alongside your favourite of Eccles/Sheaf/Lats/Dabo.

Where do you upgrade next? No get outs, Doug wants a headline signing to go straight into this team.

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Hamer2 Sheaf
Saka O’Hare Wright
Simms

I think right now it’s probably Simms but he could still come good second half of the season.

wingy

Lets say miracles happen and we get O’Hare on a new deal, and a Hamer replacement in to play alongside your favourite of Eccles/Sheaf/Lats/Dabo.

Where do you upgrade next? No get outs, Doug wants a headline signing to go straight into this team.

Collins
Hamer2 Sheaf
Saka O’Hare Wright
Simms

I think right now it’s probably Simms but he could still come good second half of the season.
Horse trading and length of contract I'd probably say Sheaf out to get that elusive hamer replacement but that appears to go against the management in that he's been made captain?

robbiekeane

Collins
Hamer2 Sheaf
Saka O’Hare Wright
Simms

It’s amazing that I’m looking at that 11 and saying I don’t know where I’d upgrade. As you said no get outs I’d probably agree with NW and say keeper cause he scares the shit out of me with his parrying.

In reality I’d probably spend the money on another wide player who can provide cover and competition for Saka/Wright

slowpoke

It’s amazing that I’m looking at that 11 and saying I don’t know where I’d upgrade. As you said no get outs I’d probably agree with NW and say keeper cause he scares the shit out of me with his parrying.

In reality I’d probably spend the money on another wide player who can provide cover and competition for Saka/Wright
You up grade with
what the manager believes sees as better players, any of our players are replaceable with better players just as Arsenals or Man Citys are.
What I hope is work as been done behind the scenes and any newbies are in quick, be too early for Middlesbrough but then it’s a break from the league for the FA Cup. gives a couple of weeks to get new signings trained up and primed for the big one Leicester.

TomRad85

Once a new CM is sorted I'd be looking at competition for the entire front 3 as this formation isn't something we planned for and we're short. Wright is now considered a wide left forward so buying another expensive striker to compete with Simms doesn't seem as mad as it would have.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

slowpoke

Once a new CM is sorted I'd be looking at competition for the entire front 3 as this formation isn't something we planned for and we're short. Wright is now considered a wide left forward so buying another expensive striker to compete with Simms doesn't seem as mad as it would have.

In my opinion we need a different type of striker added to what we have, no bigger Godden fan than me but never the quickest though and it looked the other night he has lost a bit of pace. Can’t rely on the recovering Taveres though.
Not a clue who.

Deity

Yes Godden’s race has run. If we really turned down £750k for in the summer it was madness.

shmmeee

Goalkeeper, if you want a top level one in much the same way Clough signed Shilton or were signed Glazier - build from the back with the very best you can get.

Or the anti Bidwell that Robins use determined to find.

Or Sheaf so I don't have to plough through a ratings thread of hell.

Yeah those were all next on my list, in that order actually. I do think we can do better than Collins. Thing is like Simms I wouldn’t put it past the coaching staff to seriously improve him by the start of next season.

Marty

I liked the look of Stansfield when we played the bluenoses. Has a decent scoring rate too. I'm not sure what is going on with Simms, has a cracking shot, holds it up well but half the time his second touch is a tackle as he cant trap a bag of cement. Only scored twice in last 26 games which both came in the same game. I'm a bit disappointed with him so far as I expected better.

I think we could do with another winger for each side and we need another 2 CBs at the end of the season assuming Kitching or Thomas don't leave.

Brighton Sky Blue

If you got to this point, you’d recruit for depth and succession planning to avoid being in a pickle as and when we need to sell one of the core players. We didn’t do this for Hamer and Gyo, largely through being skint, so should be thinking more proactively on it now.

Upgrade on Wilson, JD, McF, Palmer, Allen, Kelly, Godden, Tavares and replace Binks if not signing him.

If staying with the current system add further depth out wide, of course also add in Gus Mk 2, and you have the making of a squad that can also withstand a big player departure.

JulianDarbyFTW

In answer to the original question, I'd replace Collins as things stand. I have doubts about his positioning, and he parries the ball back into the box too regularly for my liking. Not saying he's bad, or that he won't develop, but as of now I get 'dodgy keeper' chants stuck in my head.

Terry_dactyl

I've banged this drum a few times, but I genuinely believe Godden was kept for team cohesion purposes rather than his ability. And I say that as a big fan of his.
Could be true and is presumably very important. I remember being impressed watching him ‘coaching’ Obikwu at the preseason game vs FGR.

Terry_dactyl

If you got to this point, you’d recruit for depth and succession planning to avoid being in a pickle as and when we need to sell one of the core players. We didn’t do this for Hamer and Gyo, largely through being skint, so should be thinking more proactively on it now.

Upgrade on Wilson, JD, McF, Palmer, Allen, Kelly, Godden, Tavares and replace Binks if not signing him.

If staying with the current system add further depth out wide, of course also add in Gus Mk 2, and you have the making of a squad that can also withstand a big player departure.
If we can afford to keep them you don’t think Palmer and Allen are worth keeping?

TomRad85

I must say Collins is being judged a lot more harshly than many on here judged Wilson. I'd welcome an upgrade of course, applies to every position on the field, but I feel a lot more confident with him in the net.

Deity

I've banged this drum a few times, but I genuinely believe Godden was kept for team cohesion purposes rather than his ability. And I say that as a big fan of his.
You don’t give new 2 yr contracts for team cohesion. I think Robins is a fan of him as a player and as a guy. I agree that Robins thinks he’s a good team guy, but I think the contract was because he still rates him.

Hertsccfc

Collins
Hamer2 Sheaf
Saka O’Hare Wright
Simms

So you think Eccles won't be in the team? Part of the cult ESB was talking about here. Still think he should be loaned out to League 1? Yet you are happy with Simms and his two goals in half a season?

In my view the area we most need to strengthen is up front. What happens if Wright gets injured?

JulianDarbyFTW

You don’t give new 2 yr contracts for team cohesion. I think Robins is a fan of him as a player and as a guy. I agree that Robins thinks he’s a good team guy, but I think the contract was because he still rates him.
The 2 year contract is a very fair point. Perhaps it's a balance of the two.

shmmeee

So you think Eccles won't be in the team? Part of the cult ESB was talking about here. Still think he should be loaned out to League 1? Yet you are happy with Simms and his two goals in half a season?

In my view the area we most need to strengthen is up front. What happens if Wright gets injured?

I explicitly said “alongside your favourite of Eccles/Sheaf/Lats/Dabo” and still get shit lol.

I also said Simms is probably the one that needs replacing.

Terry_dactyl

I think we can get better than Palmer for certain, Allen less sure.
I think we can get fitter than Palmer for sure but when fit I think he’s quality. If we can afford to not rely on him too much I think he’s exactly the quality we need in the squad.
Id probably say Wilson is a decent back up too and possibly good to keep around for squad cohesion.

Generally agree with your point though. If we’ve got the money we need to plan for our future squad.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think we can get fitter than Palmer for sure but when fit I think he’s quality. If we can afford to not rely on him too much I think he’s exactly the quality we need in the squad.
Id probably say Wilson is a decent back up too and possibly good to keep around for squad cohesion.

Generally agree with your point though. If we’ve got the money we need to plan for our future squad.
The issue with Palmer being if he’s called upon to start games rather than come off the bench, he seems to struggle in lasting a full 90. For example if O’Hare goes in January it’s a pretty big drop off to him.

We couldn’t future proof last season’s squad, we need to do it with this one while we have the funds.

Terry_dactyl

The issue with Palmer being if he’s called upon to start games rather than come off the bench, he seems to struggle in lasting a full 90. For example if O’Hare goes in January it’s a pretty big drop off to him.

We couldn’t future proof last season’s squad, we need to do it with this one while we have the funds.
Indeed. It doesn’t appear any of our youngsters will be making the break through just yet…please someone tell me different.

Yes. If O’hare goes we would definitely need a replacement. We can’t rely on Palmer’s fitness. If we have the money I think I’d keep him for exactly what he is doing now ie coming off the bench/the occasional start. Seems what a squad should be about.

stevefloyd

Get rid of Moore too

JulianDarbyFTW

I must say Collins is being judged a lot more harshly than many on here judged Wilson. I'd welcome an upgrade of course, applies to every position on the field, but I feel a lot more confident with him in the net.

To be fair, the post was asking for which position to upgrade, so the whole point of it is to judge the players. Wilson has been roundly ridiculed for several years on here, so I'm not convinced Collins is being treated harshly in comparison, to be honest.

stupot07

Collins
Hamer2 Sheaf
Saka O’Hare Wright
Simms

Apart from the Hamer replacement, I think now we have gone to a 433/4231/451, we could really do with strengthening the front 3, particularly the two wide players. The replacements for them at the moment, it left back Dasilva or right back MVE, moving Lati RB, which Robins has done a few times with subs.

Also I would offload Godden and get some better in.

I would be looking for a replacement for Palmer too, he's too hit or miss, and injured a lot, but that could wait til the summer.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Astute

In answer to the original question, I'd replace Collins as things stand. I have doubts about his positioning, and he parries the ball back into the box too regularly for my liking. Not saying he's bad, or that he won't develop, but as of now I get 'dodgy keeper' chants stuck in my head.
His positioning is good. What I do like about him is he can have nothing to do for ages then pulls off a very good save. A lot of keepers can switch off.

Have you ever played in goal and tried to catch a shot with pace? Sometimes it is much safer to parry the ball into space or get it out for a corner. Go for the catch and fumble it puts you at big risk of giving away an easy goal. The last place you want a loose ball is directly in front of the goal. Most difficult ball for a defender to deal with if having to run towards the goal.

Of course it would be great to have a top class GK. But we have more urgent needs. Collins and the defence already have a good understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread