Which City manager did (or is doing) the best job with the worst squad? (1 Viewer)

Rusty Trombone

There's not enough arguing on the other thread, so try this one.

This is the worst squad I can remember, and therefore the best manager is Pressley.

Monners

Gould did a great job with no resources - some famous results and some good football (hard to believe I know). Robins to a point until he ran away, and at the moment Pressley, based on on last season

Edit: Gould's first time around. Second time he had the brainwave to drop Oggie for his son, and had the tactic of hoofing the ball up to Quinn (there was the good start to the season I suppose)! I was there for his last game - the 5-1 at QPR and was relieved when he stepped down after the game

Last edited:

rupert_bear

Has to be John Sillett and George Curtis, turned what looked on paper a pretty poor squad into a good side. We stayed up the previous season by the skin of our teeth and were relegation favourites yet again think we only bought Keith Houchen and Iain Painterin the close season, became difficult to beat and of course the cup and all that

Colonel Mustard

Eric Black in 2003–2004. This was at the apex of the post-Richardson austerity era. There was no money, the squad was generally accepted as being rotten, and nobody was shocked the team was in a relegation battle. Black took over and managed to turn them into a free-scoring, playoff-challenging team -- and that was without a McGoldrick/Wilson/Clarke goalscorer.

fernandopartridge

Eric Black in 2003–2004. This was at the apex of the post-Richardson austerity era. There was no money, the squad was generally accepted as being rotten, and nobody was shocked the team was in a relegation battle. Black took over and managed to turn them into a free-scoring, playoff-challenging team -- and that was without a McGoldrick/Wilson/Clarke goalscorer.
Disagree. He had riches compared with Pressley. His team wasn't all that.

Evo1883

Pressley is doing a poor job , dare i say on par with andy thorn with arguibly a better squad

Colonel Mustard

Disagree. He had riches compared with Pressley. His team wasn't all that.

Aside from a nominal fee for Delomoueaux, I don't think Black paid any transfer fees.

Pressley had a moderate budget last year. He said himself: "It [was] an average budget in League One ... There’ll be eight or nine teams on the same." That and the fortune of having two brilliant goalscorers. Frankly, any claims of SP working a miracle last season are gross overstatements.

torchomatic

Don't get all the Eric Black obsession to be honest. Yes, good at the time, but unproven really. Who knows how he would have faired given more time?

fernandopartridge

Aside from a nominal fee for Delomoueaux, I don't think Black paid any transfer fees.

Pressley had a moderate budget last year. He said himself: "It [was] an average budget in League One ... There’ll be eight or nine teams on the same." That and the fortune of having two brilliant goalscorers. Frankly, any claims of SP working a miracle last season are gross overstatements.
He was only in post for 4 months. Having only been appointed in January. He had 2 weeks to pay a fee for a player.

The Lurker

Don't get all the Eric Black obsession to be honest. Yes, good at the time, but unproven really. Who knows how he would have faired given more time?

Some of the best football I've seen but some of the worst too. Colchester in the cup midweek was very depressing

torchomatic

Rusty Trombone

Has to be John Sillett and George Curtis, turned what looked on paper a pretty poor squad into a good side. We stayed up the previous season by the skin of our teeth and were relegation favourites yet again think we only bought Keith Houchen and Iain Painterin the close season, became difficult to beat and of course the cup and all that

The Painter signing seemed suspicious to me, missed the pen for Stoke that would have got us relegated, then we sign him, and he played 3 games.

pusbccfc

In my opinion Pressley has a very capable squad at the moment, so the fact we aren't performing is disappointing.

Rusty Trombone

Gould did a great job with no resources - some famous results and some good football (hard to believe I know). Robins to a point until he ran away, and at the moment Pressley, based on on last season

Edit: Gould's first time around. Second time he had the brainwave to drop Oggie for his son, and had the tactic of hoofing the ball up to Quinn (there was the good start to the season I suppose)! I was there for his last game - the 5-1 at QPR and was relieved when he stepped down after the game

I was at that QPR game, sitting in traffic after the game and the news came over the radio that he'd resigned. It's only now when I think about that, but I do think he did resign, none of the 'mutual consent' stuff you hear now.

If he really did resign, that's a pretty decent thing to do isn't it. Have any other managers accepted they weren't doing well enough and resigned without being pushed?

NorthernWisdom

I was at that QPR game, sitting in traffic after the game and the news came over the radio that he'd resigned. It's only now when I think about that, but I do think he did resign, none of the 'mutual consent' stuff you hear now.

If he really did resign, that's a pretty decent thing to do isn't it. Have any other managers accepted they weren't doing well enough and resigned without being pushed?

He quit because he claimed Richardson had agreed a deal to sell Ndlovu...

Who then stayed for a couple more seasons, while we then got 'investment' we'd never dreamed of previously.

Richardson, meanwhile, claimed the furor after his resignationm put off one of those good ole Arab billionaires we always hear so much about.

NorthernWisdom

Incidentally, despite all that actually thought his second spell was better.

After the Don Howe dark days, thought we were certs for relegation the next season - we couldn't score, the football was dire, we had no money and were resorting to signing quick postmen from the lower leagues and playing Terry Fleming at fullback.

Despite this, we saw some cracking games in his second spell, saw goals and it was fun to go up. Sure, it went off the rails from time to time, but the unpredictability was part of what made it fun!

John_Silletts_Nose

Jimmy Hill was a great manager but he did have some money to spend although he did generate it himself by winning and marketing/integrating the club with the City fans.

Harry Storer and Gordon Milne to a lesser extent were good managers that had little to work with and sold many of their best players.

Rusty Trombone

Incidentally, despite all that actually thought his second spell was better.

After the Don Howe dark days, thought we were certs for relegation the next season - we couldn't score, the football was dire, we had no money and were resorting to signing quick postmen from the lower leagues and playing Terry Fleming at fullback.

Despite this, we saw some cracking games in his second spell, saw goals and it was fun to go up. Sure, it went off the rails from time to time, but the unpredictability was part of what made it fun!

Looks like we're experiencing a Don Howe period now, hopefully things will improve when we have a fully fit squad with no one suspended.

wingy

He quit because he claimed Richardson had agreed a deal to sell Ndlovu...

Who then stayed for a couple more seasons, while we then got 'investment' we'd never dreamed of previously.

Richardson, meanwhile, claimed the furor after his resignationm put off one of those good ole Arab billionaires we always hear so much about.

Ah so the Current Furore Is the current hold up??:thinking about::facepalm:

wingy

Don Mckay

Not for his work with us though .

Always felt for him up at Blackburn ,working with meagre resources ,on the verge of promotion a couple of times .

Then moneybags shows up and In walks Dalgliesh?? who goes straight up IIRC ,the rest Is history .

Always thought the football was dour under him hear though ,a bit like now.

Users who are viewing this thread