Which breed of dog should i buy? (1 Viewer)

ccfcdan

My gf wants a dog for her birthday but we've never had 1 before. We have a son who's 2 so we need a playfull dog that's not going to snap at him. Also might think about breeding at some stage. What breed of dog should I get?

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Depends if you want a big or a small breed?

For a small breed, I'd recommend a West Highland Terrier or a Jack Russell. I have a westie and she's never bitten anyone and is really playful.

For a large, I'd recommend a Japanese Akita. However, you would have to home them as a puppy as an adult dog of that breed would find it difficult to adapt. They're really protective if they've been owned by the one family and will be as good as gold with your child.

PS. West Highland Terriers and Akitas can be rather expensive.

C

Clive Plattini

Terriers are often more likely to be a bit snappy. Its just in their nature, but if you train them well they can be good as gold. I've got a miniature sausage dog and they have a lovely temperament. You could go for a cross like man as he has a bit of Jack Russell in him which makes him more playful than a pedigree dachshund.

cstring82

My parents breed working labradors and golden retrievers, never had any problems with any of them.

Check the kennel club website for decent breeders.

stupot07

If you want smallish dog the Bichon Frise is supposed to be super friendly as is a king Charles spaniel. If you want someone a bit bigger a golden retriever or Labrador are great for families. I've been doing tons of research as we're getting a puppy and i'f got a 5 year old and a 19 month old.

Last edited:

gouldberg

As others have mentioned it really depends on various things. What size dog are you looking for? How long would you have to leave the dog home alone each day? How much exercise space would the dog have? Can you commit to daily walks etc?

In terms of temperament, the collie family are very loyal and can be trained with ease. They require a lot of mental stimulation though as they are working dogs. The border collies for example make excellent sheepherders (apart from mine who is afraid of sheep!). They love their walks and games of fetch. Plus when they get old enough an activity such as flyball or agility can be a lot of fun for you and the dog.

It all really depends on what sort of dogs suit your lifestyle as some cope better with certain situations and require a little less work than others.

RedSalmon

When my kid were growing up we had a collie retiever cross. He was fantastic with the kids and great company. He was also very useful as he would bark at anyone who so much as looked at the front door, but was smart enough to know when to pack it in. Very inteligent, loyal and a fantastic family pet.

As you can probaly tell, I still miss him.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
we had a golden retriever .... was loyal protective and never once snapped at any of the kids as they grew up even when they were crawling over him as toddlers pulling on his hair. Lovely dog and missed

ccfcdan

Thank you all for the advice, we've settled on either a Bichon Frisse, a king charles spaniel or a beagle. I didn't realise how expensive dogs are though to be honest, might have to save for a few weeks first!

stupot07

Yeah excess is about £75, don't go for the cheapest (£4-10 p/m) as they usually only cover the basics, and if your dog gets something serious it could cost a couple of grand to treat and might not be covered by the cheapest policies.

Sky Blues

The King Charles spaniel can have very serious and distressing health problems. Please read up on that very carefully before buying one.
Additional - for clarity this is what I mean (WARNING some may find this footage distressing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm17MesMFRc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

LastGarrison

Beagle's can be very hard work, are difficult learners and require a lot of excercise.

This was the advice passed to me when I enquired about getting a Beagle.

stupot07

Last edited:

CTID

All down to personal experience mate. I have a staffie and cavapoo (king charles crossed with toy poodle) and i hate the cavapoo. Cute as anything but an absolute nobhead. My staffie on the other hand is a near perfect dog. Doesnt put a foot wrong in any aspect, perfect with my kids too. So its all down to your choice and the way you bring it up. All ill say is once youve made your choice...research the breed as best you can and youll be fine (unless you get the spawn of satan like i did who refuses to be trained lol)

Users who are viewing this thread