Where does the fault lie (2 Viewers)

ollyservetta

Could be - I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. Some of these players will have been around on good contracts for a while. Appearance payments to squad players will be less than to these senior professionals.

I do accept that this might not be the case. It seems we're seeing strange team selections at present - it is a possible explanation...
would not of thought that would be the owners way,get them playing ,get a price on their heads and get them sold ,think that would be more the owners way

rupert_bear

I did ask in the OP where does the fault lie and most are saying the obvious our defence. In the January window Steve Pressley brought in central defender Danny Seabourne, he also brought in on loan 3 strikers one of which buggered off back home, a wide player from QPR and took on free agent Marshall another forward. Has he dropped a bollock not bringing in atleast one more defender especially as it now seems Christie and perhaps even Blair Adams are not favoured at present. I do find it odd a career centre half seemingly fails the defence department.

covcity4life

There will be an exodus in the summer, loanees, freebies trialists are all temporary and a sustainable team cannot be built with them.

Lack of real funds and an inability to address our major flaw (defending) has cost us dearly.

My money would be on a Nuneaton v Coventry next season, and under the present owners I will be hoping Nuneaton achieve great things

so you would root for nuneaton over cov?

my oh my

scum.

covcity4life

If Cov are still in Northampton and Nuneaton get promoted then a lot of people will.
Don't forget a lot of Cov fans come from Nuneaton and Bedworth.

no they dont. they are nuneaton fans by right and just glory fans if supporting cov because we are always above them)

support your local team, not closest biggish team.

italiahorse

no they dont. they are nuneaton fans by right and just glory fans if supporting cov because we are always above them)

Nuneaton is my nearest local team. Cov are in Northampton.

As for always being above them ................. SISU are working on that !!

stupot07

Bollocks - you're starting to sound like valiant now. And if they hadn't have chosen to support Coventry, the club would have been a league one/two club decades ago.

And glory supporter and Coventry in the same sentence??? If they were glory hunters there's plenty of bigger clubs than us in 20 mile radius to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

edgy

Got to disagree with you here CC4L. On your average gate at the Ricoh, I'd say a good 2k come from Nuneaton & Bedworth. Maybe more.

There's no glory in supporting Cov.

RoboCCFC90

Where has our season faultered well I have a timeline as I think it might be easier to pin point every moment:

- Summer Transfer Window - Before the season has even kicked off we were doomed to struggle because we weren't able to bring any players in, when we did bring in two players we brought in a player who didn't work hard in training and wasn't prepared to be patient and a Scottish defender who has come in and provided experience.

- January Transfer Window - CCFC try to hold on to Leon Clarke by rejecting Wolves' approach but Leon forces his move at the last minute giving us no realistic opportunity to bring in a replacement, we bring in 5 loanee's, one defender permnamently and a lad who had been banned for two years.

- Leadership - After Leon's departure there has since been a lack of leadership on the pitch and vocal presence who demands the ball to make things happen.

- Injuries - Wilson has been out injured, Akpom's priority is an Arsenal youth game, Delfounseo is also injured and Donnelly has disappeared after one training session leaving us with no strikers and going into fixtures playing the prolfiic Carl Baker up front or a Sixteen year old.

- Defensive Lapses - Our defensive lapses have been occuring all season long, yet it's now become a painful adversary as we aren't scoring more goals than the other team, blatant, silly mistakes are costing the team.

- Pressure - I am sure the players are starting to look over there shoulder's with worry, Relegation is a real threat and something that to size of this Club would be unthinkable.

Now we are where we are and quickly we have to get out the state we are in because relegation would be beyond unthinkable.

stupot07

Could be - I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. Some of these players will have been around on good contracts for a while. Appearance payments to squad players will be less than to these senior professionals.

I do accept that this might not be the case. It seems we're seeing strange team selections at present - it is a possible explanation...

Only baker has been around on a good contract, Barton was signed last season when we were already in league one and presumably with the new bonus structure, christie although would be on more than say Willis wouldn't be breaking the bank having come through the academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

skybluetony176

Are you supporting Coventry Sphinx now then? Because currently there is nothing local about CCFC. Even the training ground is in Warwickshire, much like Nuneaton.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Where has our season faultered well I have a timeline as I think it might be easier to pin point every moment:

- Summer Transfer Window - Before the season has even kicked off we were doomed to struggle because we weren't able to bring any players in, when we did bring in two players we brought in a player who didn't work hard in training and wasn't prepared to be patient and a Scottish defender who has come in and provided experience.

- January Transfer Window - CCFC try to hold on to Leon Clarke by rejecting Wolves' approach but Leon forces his move at the last minute giving us no realistic opportunity to bring in a replacement, we bring in 5 loanee's, one defender permnamently and a lad who had been banned for two years.

- Leadership - After Leon's departure there has since been a lack of leadership on the pitch and vocal presence who demands the ball to make things happen.

- Injuries - Wilson has been out injured, Akpom's priority is an Arsenal youth game, Delfounseo is also injured and Donnelly has disappeared after one training session leaving us with no strikers and going into fixtures playing the prolfiic Carl Baker up front or a Sixteen year old.

- Defensive Lapses - Our defensive lapses have been occuring all season long, yet it's now become a painful adversary as we aren't scoring more goals than the other team, blatant, silly mistakes are costing the team.

- Pressure - I am sure the players are starting to look over there shoulder's with worry, Relegation is a real threat and something that to size of this Club would be unthinkable.

Now we are where we are and quickly we have to get out the state we are in because relegation would be beyond unthinkable.
A good summary although Leon Clarke handed in his transfer request on 13 January so Clarke didn't force his move through at the last minute. The club had 2 weeks to prepare for his departure and bring a replacement in and instead they rushed in a deadline day for Donnely who didn't want to be here.

stupot07

I think you can also add the reliance on 2-3 players to score goals, we've not had 1 goal from central midfield this season, and even bakers rarely scored this season.

stupot07

A good summary although Leon Clarke handed in his transfer request on 13 January so Clarke didn't force his move through at the last minute. The club had 2 weeks to prepare for his departure and bring a replacement in and instead they rushed in a deadline day for Donnely who didn't want to be here.

To be fair Donnelly joined the day before deadline day, he trained on deadline day then didn't come back.

RoboCCFC90

I agree with that but I think CCFC woud have been happy to of kept Leon until the summer and then sold him if he still wanted out, the problem was - and I even said this at the time - Leigh Griffiths desire to move to Celtic gave Wolves no choice to go out and a player who they could rely on to put the ball in the net, i.e Leon.

Astute

I was born in Coventry. Moved to Nuneaton when I was about 2. Grew up living at the bottom of Croft road. Their ground was about a 1 minute walk away. I sometimes watched games through the fence on the canal side. Moved back to Coventry when I was about 10.

Am I counted as a glory supporter or am I not allowed to want Nuneaton to win?

RoboCCFC90

I think you can also add the reliance on 2-3 players to score goals, we've not had 1 goal from central midfield this season, and even bakers rarely scored this season.

I wouldn't be concerned about that if Thomas and Fleck were providing assists and defensive cover which at the beginning of the season was the case, but now it's gone to pot. It's correct to rely on the strikers to score after all this is what they're in that position to achieve.

RoboCCFC90

I was born in Coventry. Moved to Nuneaton when I was about 2. Grew up living at the bottom of Croft road. Their ground was about a 1 minute walk away. I sometimes watched games through the fence on the canal side. Moved back to Coventry when I was about 10.

Am I counted as a glory supporter or am I not allowed to want Nuneaton to win?

You Glory Supporter you watched Nuneaton through a fence ;)

Astute

It was massive and metal so at least I didn't get any splinters :D

rupert_bear

I was told a different angle from a current players dad to the Leon Clarke transfer. Clarke did ask for a transfer but was asked to delay any move until the summer and agreed to do that I assume by the manager. Steve Waggott pushed a move through in January quiet simply because ccfc needed the money asap.and that is why there was a seemingly mad dash on the last day or so of the window to recruit replacements, none of which in my opinion have been adequate.

stupot07

I was told a different angle from a current players dad to the Leon Clarke transfer. Clarke did ask for a transfer but was asked to delay any move until the summer and agreed to do that I assume by the manager. Steve Waggott pushed a move through in January quiet simply because ccfc needed the money asap.and that is why there was a seemingly mad dash on the last day or so of the window to recruit replacements, none of which in my opinion have been adequate.

That doesn't quite add up tot he fact he refused to play against Leyton Orient then Pressley saying he'd been let don't by the player engineering a move away. I also don't think wolves would have come back in the summer for him after getting promoted.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ws/coventry-city-boss-steven-pressley-6641076

Astute

I miss the tea lady from the Ricoh. She told us more that was going on than anyone else.

ecky

Covcity4life I will support who I choose, sisu don't give one, my club is in Northampton so Nuneaton will get my support until things change.

The way things are going CCFC will be gone soon, so you'd better get used to iy

rupert_bear

That doesn't quite add up tot he fact he refused to play against Leyton Orient then Pressley saying he'd been let don't by the player engineering a move away. I also don't think wolves would have come back in the summer for him after getting promoted.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-boss-steven-pressley-6641076

Yes that's what we were told but is it true ? And in the summer I would have thought there would have been more clubs than the Wolves sniffing about

Paxman II

We lost the best scoring partnership we have had in years.
The injuries have also started playing a part as this long season continues and we have blooded some youngsters maybe too soon through necessity.
Loans have been a bit of a miss as it turns out, which has not helped settle the team, with too many changes to the side that was.

Pressley has also tinkered with his team selections a bit too much of late which if you look, has resulted in a very different team to the one that played the first 2/3rds of the season? You can't do that too much. Even Arsenal have suffered much more since Ramsey and co were side lined. It changes the soul of the side, the one that was so bouncy and confident.

If you have the fit players that got you into that position in the first place available, then play them to avoid too many changes!
If you don't they surely will question what have they done wrong?
Christie a point in question? Without his bombing forward we have lost impetus and create fewer chances. Same goes for Adams. Can't think why Pressley made those choices on top of forced changes?

The other week I had a small critique of the manager and now I see another as mentioned above. When he said the chances of playoffs had "gone" he undermined his team and confidence dramatically in that moment.
I believe he knows that and he did kind of acknowledge that later but if didn't help.

I think if he ensured Adams, Wilson, Christie, Baker were in the side from the start again we won't have so many problems as we have had this last few games. He must know that surely?

stupot07

"]http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-boss-steven-pressley-6641076
[/URL]
Yes that's what we were told but is it true ? And in the summer I would have thought there would have been more clubs than the Wolves sniffing about[/QUOTE]

Only league one teams, and not any that are still receiving parachute payments..

Malaka

Squad has no depth, lack experience, no squad rotation, injuries with no quality to replace, Clarke going, replaced with more kids, I am amazed we are where we are. We were always going to implode

SIR ERNIE

Around Christmas time we were handily placed in the league having pulled back the 10 point deduction and within striking distance of the play-offs, so where does the blame lie ? Defence despite bringing in centre half Danny Seabourne leaks goals like a sieve, has Pressley done enough on that department, was the Webster/Jordan Clarke pairing as poor as a lot were saying, certainly let less goals in or has the pressing game initially a success been sussed and is SP a one trick pony. In my opinion we are staring relegation in the face which could be catastrophic for our future.

Face facts, our future looks 'catastrophic' whether we stay up or go down.

Issues such as the centre back pairing/pressing game/loan signings etc, etc are irrelevances compared to the bigger picture.

Under SISU, CCFC have become the biggest basket case in the FL. By far.

Our first home game under SISU's ownership attracted nearly 20k. Now our players are asked to play in front of lower home crowds than the might of Fleetwood, Burton, Newport and Accrington.

Users who are viewing this thread