Where do we improve next? (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

Now Sheaf is confirmed, where should we aim to improve next?

higgs

Is that all our transfer business done now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Squad now is pretty complete, but with injuries a loan of a RWB would be helpful.

JoshCCFC1987

Squad now is pretty complete, but with injuries a loan of a RWB would be helpful.
Don’t think so with dabo back in a few weeks and dacosta only out until November I think we have enough cover there especially as hamer could play there aswell I’m more worried about lwb as I don’t have confidence in mason being our only other choice for Giles

Don’t think so with dabo back in a few weeks and dacosta only out until November I think we have enough cover there especially as hamer could play there aswell I’m more worried about lwb as I don’t have confidence in mason being our only other choice for Giles
i personally like mason as a back up however I’m not sure defensively Giles is strong enough for champ however going forward he looks the part

Hobo

Robins said ideally 3 more. So with Sheaf potentially still 2 to come. But he said it depended on finances.

Might depend on a couple going out. I think we still might see another loan come in?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm more worried about Giles tbh. Looks good going forward but dodgy defensively. As we may spend a fair bit of time defending this season that's a worry.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Don’t think so with dabo back in a few weeks and dacosta only out until November I think we have enough cover there especially as hamer could play there aswell

If Dabo is out until Oct and Dacosta til Nov I don't see an issue bringing someone in specifically for that position on loan until the next transfer window.

We're assuming there won't be any setbacks in that recovery either (from memory hip injuries always seem to take a lot longer than anticipated) and that includes time to get them match fit with U23 games etc.

Don't want to lose Hamer in the middle and we don't have a great deal of cover if Kelly picks up his obligatory injury) nor do I want to be totally reliant on people playing out of position or youngsters for that length of time.

andrew.roberts

As has been mentioned before, I think we'll definitely need back up for Hamer because although we all admire his aggression he's going to be picking up yellows at a fairly constant rate, and to try and train that part out of his game would probably affect his all round performance.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Monty

I think a season long deal for Chris Gunter would be sensible as he can cover both full back areas.

We have a good young keeper in Billson.

Is Eccles good enough for Hamer cover.

Magwitch

On paper we look okay but good managers are never satisfied and if we want to be serious in the Championship anyone who in MRs opinion is a better player than what we have, if we can get him, get him.

Gibbo

Nobody. That's it. Lots of back ups - Burroughs, Rowe, Eccles, Dysdale, Baka, Bapaga, Jones to plug the gaps that come through injury.

SBAndy

Nobody. That's it. Lots of back ups - Burroughs, Rowe, Eccles, Dysdale, Baka, Bapaga, Jones to plug the gaps that come through injury.

I’d want to see a fair few of those out on loan.

Targets for me would be extra cover at CM allowing Eccles to go out on a season long loan, a genuine LWB of our own and possibly let Mason go (though I do like him) and...I’m struggling beyond that.

Dazmataz

9 new players is a lot to accommodate already. The team were playing brilliantly earlier this year and considering that we've only lost 2 players, I'm concerned about how we get all of these new players playing in Robin's system quickly.

Mucca Mad Boys

The squad isn’t ‘complete’, but we’ve got no major gaps in our match day 18.

A few questions Robins needs to address:

- Can Biamou play a role in the Championship? If no, a striker is needed - even a development piece
- Are we happy with Eccles/Shipley/Allen in the deeper CM role? If no, a midfielder is needed
- Are our wingers good enough to make an impact if they’re required for a formation change?
- Are the young players good enough to make the step up if needed?

I’d be interested to see what MR has in mind with these 2 signings he wants. Longer term, we need more Championship experience.

DannyThomas_1981

Just looking at the line up for last season's first game of the season vs. Southend.

Marosi, McFadz, Kelly, Dabo, Rose and Shipley all started that game.

For this season's first game, we know that Dabo and Rose are injured.

Out of Marosi, McFadz, Kelly and Shipley; possible that only Marosi is a nailed on starter this time around given the new additions. But let's say McFadz and Kelly start the first game. That's just 3 players who started the first game last season and 8 new players on the pitch since Southend last year.

More evidence as to how Robins continuously seeks improvement in all areas of the team - he's absolutely brilliant at evolving a squad.

Marty

LWB, don't think either Mason or Giles are good enough for the championship (for different reasons).
Would love to see if we can do something with Walsh, wouldn't mind keeping some money for the next transfer window (whenever that'll be?) some players who we expect to make the jump up in quality may fall short and need replacing etc.

cooperskyblue

Delighted with out business.
If you had said to me we would spend a reported 1.5m on Hamer a very good talent by the looks of things, Walker on a permanent, O'Hare on a permanent i would have snapped your hands off.
Add in this very very highly rated Brighton lad, Sheaf & Giles we are looking good.
The return of JJ is as good as a new signing, as is the potential emergence of Bapaga.

I'm ready, bring on Bristol.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Slightly left field as it's not improving the first team per say, but I'd quite like to see a few more additions to the U23s. Over the past 3 seasons the backroom staff have done a fantastic job of bringing in young unknowns and developing them into first team regulars. E.g. Hyam, McCallum and Westbrooke. We're averaging one a season so the model is clearly working, both from a playing and financial point of view, and it would be great to see this good work continue into this season.

Obviously we've already brought in McGrath who will be plying his trade in the U23s for the foreseeable, but I'd certainly like to see another one or two brought in to supplement our development squad as well.

Frostie

Slightly left field as it's not improving the first team per say, but I'd quite like to see a few more additions to the U23s. Over the past 3 seasons the backroom staff have done a fantastic job of bringing in young unknowns and developing them into first team regulars. E.g. Hyam, McCallum and Westbrooke. We're averaging one a season so the model is clearly working, both from a playing and financial point of view, and it would be great to see this good work continue into this season.

Obviously we've already brought in McGrath who will be plying his trade in the U23s for the foreseeable, but I'd certainly like to see another one or two brought in to supplement our development squad as well.

Somewhat agree with you. There's a lot of talent at youth level still but I think we're definitely light on strikers in the U23s that will be knocking on the door of the first team.
Ponticelli couldn't make the step up & I'm not sure Bremang will either so I would like to see us have a look at some young strikers elsewhere, either non league or released from other clubs etc.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Somewhat agree with you. There's a lot of talent at youth level still but I think we're definitely light on strikers in the U23s that will be knocking on the door of the first team.
Ponticelli couldn't make the step up & I'm not sure Bremang will either so I would like to see us have a look at some young strikers elsewhere, either non league or released from other clubs etc.

We have a lot of talent coming through, especially in the academy, so there's no sense in bringing needless signings ahead of our own homegrown players, as that will only serve to stunt their development.

Agree with your view on Bremang. He's still young but I'm unsure whether he will have the quality to take that next step in his career either. So, I'd probably like Robins/Fardon to take a look at bringing in another young striker to compete with him for that starting spot in the U23s as well.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think they are looking for quality rather than quantity - there were a quite a few players last season who were too old to be classed as development players and at the same time nowhere near the first team.

Villa got rid of the likes Hepburn Murphy, O’Hare, Doyle Hayes, Andre Green to concentrate on their best 16-19 year olds

oakey

I'd be amazed if MR was not aiming for another striker as he will want options.
Of course that is dependent on availability.

Users who are viewing this thread