Where can TheSky Blues finish next season? (1 Viewer)

Where Will Coventry City Finish In The 2014/15 Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank god theres not long to go til the start of the season. Actuallly cant wait and despite the departures of some key personnel this summer, I'm going into the new season with a weird sense of optimism. We've lost some incredible talents but the replacements aren't bad either, and unlike last season, we start on an even playing field. So for this weeks Cooks Question, we want you to tell us how high up can Coventry City finish in the 2014/15 season and why? Could this be our year? Or is it just gonna be mid-table mediocrity again? Get involved! Voting closes Thursday 11.30AM so get your votes and opinions in before then if you want them read out on the show. This week marks our last show before our 2 week summer break (worst timing imaginable for a holiday). We'll be back on air Thursday 21st August, so tune in this Thursday for your last instalment of Sports Lounge until the middle of August. Sports Lounge kicks off at 10AM on Hillz FM 98.6 so listen in if you can. You can also get in touch with the show when we're on air to register an opinion on any story brought up via Facebook (Liam Broski Cook) Twitter (@Hillz_SL) or phone (number will be read out on air). Thanks again for all your fantastic support

H

Huckerby

lol....even a 1st place finish wouldn't make me call this "our year"

Kingokings204

Avoiding relegation would be a successful season. Make no mistake about that.

Seaside-Skyblue

Any club playing 35 miles away and going through turmoil like our own club can consider staying up a success imo. If we are back at the Ricoh I expect us to be challenging for the play offs.

Hobo

I would settle for staying up. It is going to be a long old haul.

edgy

So.... all the usual bed wetters are predicting relegation.

Much like they did this time last season.

With the addition of Tudguy, the midfielder with the funny name, McQuoid, AN Other striker - no reason why we can't push for play offs again. This time without the hindrance of minus ten points.

skybluefred

Appleton still holds the Club in administration I believe. If this is so and we don't exit Admin by the start of the season
will we not be liable to another 10 point penalty.

Hobo

With the addition of Tudguy, the midfielder with the funny name, McQuoid, AN Other striker - no reason why we can't push for play offs again. This time without the hindrance of minus ten points.

Re read the posts and no one has said we will be relegated. People are predicting a relegation battle and there is a difference.

Noggin

Where can we finish and where will we finish are different questions, we could be champions, unless we sign a good few more people though relegation looks more likely to me unfortunately.

Noggin

I don't think many people at all predicted relegation last year, I think the common view was we were going to struggle though and could easily be in a relegation battle but were more likely to stay up and while it didn't look like that was the case till after Christmas it ended up being pretty accurate.

shmmeee

So. You expect us to do far better than last season with a worse squad?

You might be right, but it's hardly a foregone conclusion.

Evans1883

So. You expect us to do far better than last season with a worse squad?

You might be right, but it's hardly a foregone conclusion.

What's worse o brien played most his career at a higher level than baker , Swanson at a higher level than moose though I doubt we will see that goal return , tudgay a majority championship player , Johnson and Pugh definitely added needed bulk and experience to the back 4 , Allsop is a good keeper

edgy

Yeah. What Evans said. The defence looks better already. We're bringing in higher level experience players in positions we've lost important players from.

Wilson came from out of the blue. Who's to say someone else csnt replicate that with Pressley and co's guidance.

I will be concerned should the window close and we haven't added to the striking options.

So far do good for me.

Hobo

What's worse o brien played most his career at a higher level than baker , Swanson at a higher level than moose though I doubt we will see that goal return , tudgay a majority championship player , Johnson and Pugh definitely added needed bulk and experience to the back 4 , Allsop is a good keeper

Jumping the gun on Tudgay hasn't signed his contract yet.

Paxman II

I feel we will surprise a few this time around. Top six finish is there for the taking looking at this league and an outside chance of an automatic place is not beyond them. We look stronger than last time out and will be harder to beat and score against. True goals may be in shorter supply but someone will come through and if we are harder to beat we don't have to score so many. No points deduction so why not?

skybluelee

Yeah and we avoided it by miles didn't we?...

This year we start with 10 more points but without our 4 best players.

shmmeee

We've lost: Murphy, replaced him with worse. Christie, not replaced. Adams for Pugh, could be an improvement. Johnson is old and injury prone but does indeed look like an improvement.

We've lost not just Baker and Moussa but also the loanees in midfield. Swanson looks OK, as does O'Brien, but have worse goal scoring records and both have injury problems. Coulibaly is injured and another coming back from long term. We haven't (yet) replaced whatshisface we had on loan (Robinson?).

Clarke and Wilson have gone, as have the loanees. Replaced with Miller who doesn't have a great record and Tudgay, who could be good but hasn't signed yet.

So I make it of the first team players who have left, maybe 2 or 3 have been replaced with similar quality. Two or three not replaced at all and two or three replaced with short term loans.

We've replaced an awful lot of players with a proven record at this level with players not only untried at this level but coming back from long term injury.

That's an awful lot of maybe.

Like I say, it may all pay off and if it does and if everyone stays fit well be OK. But that's from a base of just avoiding relegation last season and hanging on only due to the good start we had.

I can understand some optimism, but you can't say it's definitely going to happen. And all that's before you consider Pressleys awful record of signings.

The Gentleman

Yeah. What Evans said. The defence looks better already. We're bringing in higher level experience players in positions we've lost important players from.

Wilson came from out of the blue. Who's to say someone else csnt replicate that with Pressley and co's guidance.

I will be concerned should the window close and we haven't added to the striking options.

So far do good for me.

Remind me again on how good Pressley's signings were last season. Just signing players who you think may do a good job doesn't mean they will do a good job. I remember people getting excited about us signing players and one of which had PL experience and saying that he is bound to score goals at our level, he turned out to be fucking shite. Before your come back is based around well no-one knew how good Wilson, Clarke, Moussa and Murphy would be, then don't forget that Pressley didn't sign them.

In answer to the OP, hope for mid table but probably will end up near the bottom as usual.

Last edited:

Chez78

McQuoid is total garbage

Astute

So far do good for me.

1-0 to Nuneaton when the game got called off. 3-0 to Chievo and all the goals from defensive mistakes.

OK friendlies don't tell you the whole story, but they do give you a good idea on what is going on. And how many goals have we got so far? If it carries on like this we will get as many red cards as we score goals.

paulw

We've lost: Murphy, replaced him with worse. Christie, not replaced. Adams for Pugh, could be an improvement. Johnson is old and injury prone but does indeed look like an improvement.

We've lost not just Baker and Moussa but also the loanees in midfield. Swanson looks OK, as does O'Brien, but have worse goal scoring records and both have injury problems. Coulibaly is injured and another coming back from long term. We haven't (yet) replaced whatshisface we had on loan (Robinson?).

Clarke and Wilson have gone, as have the loanees. Replaced with Miller who doesn't have a great record and Tudgay, who could be good but hasn't signed yet.

So I make it of the first team players who have left, maybe 2 or 3 have been replaced with similar quality. Two or three not replaced at all and two or three replaced with short term loans.

We've replaced an awful lot of players with a proven record at this level with players not only untried at this level but coming back from long term injury.

That's an awful lot of maybe.

Like I say, it may all pay off and if it does and if everyone stays fit well be OK. But that's from a base of just avoiding relegation last season and hanging on only due to the good start we had.

I can understand some optimism, but you can't say it's definitely going to happen. And all that's before you consider Pressleys awful record of signings.

Good assessment.

I am an optimist but I am quickly going off SP. I think his handling of Baker leave a lot to be desired and his continuation of bringing in only Scots as backroom staff and players is worrying. The last time we did that, under Mac and Strach we got relegated. Been very underwhelmed by his signings so far and can't us spending any of the loot SISU seem to be hording.

Astute

Good assessment.

I am an optimist but I am quickly going off SP. I think his handling of Baker leave a lot to be desired and his continuation of bringing in only Scots as backroom staff and players is worrying. The last time we did that, under Mac and Strach we got relegated. Been very underwhelmed by his signings so far and can't us spending any of the loot SISU seem to be hording.

I agree with half of this. Time will tell. But the handling and who decides which players leave. Are they really SP's decisions? Players lost in the last 6 months have brought in about 4m and not a penny has been used to replace them. Did he want to lose Murphy?

SP has been dealt shit cards. But when he gets decent cards they are taken off him. Can't blame him for everything. He is just doing his best with what he is allowed.

Kingokings204

Hopefully now the OP can see why it's all pessimistic.

I couldn't agree more with the assessments above.

We have signed ok players and they are no better than ok. Got rid of Murphy who in my opinion is the best keeper in the league. Got rid of Wilson and Clarke for a combined 3.5mil say, the partnership in the league by a mile and no replacements. Miller couldn't lace Wilson's boots.

We are massively short of numbers and the Wilson money should be allowed to make us a playoff team. Not many league one teams sell a player for over 2m if any.

Overall the club is in a bad way even forgetting about all the sixfields stuff at the moment and that's the biggest downer of the lot. If we moved back to the Ricoh tomorrow this team is still mid table at best to relegation fodder.

I will say one positive and 5 new players ideally 2 main strikers, 1 centre mid and a moussa type player, A playmaker and a defender. And a return to the Ricoh and I will change my opinion to a play off challenge team.

Otis

Don't see how any of us can make any predicition before we have even seen the new players play and before Pressley has recruited all the players he is going to recruit.

Would say anything now is not a prediciton, it's just a wild guess.

Last edited:

Kingokings204

Don't see how any of us can make any predicition before we have even seen the new players play and before Pressley has recruited all the players he is going to recruit.

Would say anything now is not a prediciton, it's just a wild guess.

Agreed but you are judged on who goes and who comes in and look who has left and look who has come in and that tells you a story. It's not a good read unfortunately.

Otis

Agreed but you are judged on who goes and who comes in and look who has left and look who has come in and that tells you a story. It's not a good read unfortunately.

True, but half of the players we have brought in I've never ever seen play before and some I've not even ever heard of.

Only players I have seen or can remember are Tudgay and Pugh.

Pressley is the key to where we will be next season, 1st can he tighten up the defence, 2nd can he replace at least one of the strikers, 3rd can he then make a team out of what he has left at the beginning of the season. If he is successfull with the players he has, that will create a new problem of other clubs comeing in for him. Will he stay at sixfields or leave for a decent ground.

Warwickhunt

If SP can have a succesfull season i.e above Mid table he will desrve to go to another club if you ask me, this guy is working under so much shite no other bloke would take it

Users who are viewing this thread