When Your Time Is Up ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Sorry for touching on a morbid subject but it is interesting I find.
A customer of mine hasn't got long left as she's terminally ill.But she's stoic and upbeat and resigned to her fate. She's got everything sorted out,funeral and finances etc,and her will and other stuff. She's so positive I end up cracking jokes with her. It got me thinking how I'd be if my days were numbered ? Go on the lash,have a holiday,or just wait for the inevitable ? My dad when he had two months to go was laid back and chirpy,and not scared or worried. What about others on here then ?

Covrock

Two years ago this month I was told I need a heart transplant. went for two assessments. at the end of about 6 months of shitting myself, despite losing 4 stone I was told " if you keel over now I still can't give you a new heart". WTF. since then I've been back to work, travelling, swam with dolphins,basically really enjoying life. The biggest stress in my life?? CCFC. Guys, Enjoy life to the full.

bringbackrattles

I'd be bricking it, can't see how people can be so positive about it.
Me and my sister were with my dad when the doctor at the hospital told him and us both he had 2 months to live as the cancer was too progressive etc. I felt sick and my sister who's a nurse just looked at the floor. But my dad sobbed for about a minute,and said " I can't complain as I've had a decent life. " The surgeon said to me what a brave chap your father is.
I was his carer for those 2 months and what an experience that was. I think my dads generation are tough and stoic and don't like to make a fuss.

clint van damme

I'd be an absolute pussy! Crying. needy and turning to a god I don't believe in!
Hopefully I'll go quickly after finishing off the last of a big bag of coke and waving goodbye to the two hookers I've just spent the night with!
Seriously though. as much as knowing you're dying must be hard in some ways it might be nice to have the chance to say goodbye.

clint van damme

Me and my sister were with my dad when the doctor at the hospital told him and us both he had 2 months to live as the cancer was too progressive etc. I felt sick and my sister who's a nurse just looked at the floor. But my dad sobbed for about a minute,and said " I can't complain as I've had a decent life. " The surgeon said to me what a brave chap your father is.
I was his carer for those 2 months and what an experience that was. I think my dads generation are tough and stoic and don't like to make a fuss.

I Think you're right BBR. Different breed.

NorthernWisdom

it might be nice to have the chance to say goodbye.

Spoken about this a lot with a friend of mine, whose Mum has terminal cancer. tbh neither of us are sure which is better - they've got something hanging over their head, but then they've gone on some fantastic trips, had some great days, and generally made memories - she'll know she's loved when she goes because they've made the effort.

And that's something a lot of us take for granted... until it's too late.

bringbackrattles

I'd be an absolute pussy! Crying. needy and turning to a god I don't believe in!
Hopefully I'll go quickly after finishing off the last of a big bag of coke and waving goodbye to the two hookers I've just spent the night with!
Seriously though. as much as knowing you're dying must be hard in some ways it might be nice to have the chance to say goodbye.
The woman customer who is dying has a great sense of humour,she said she will want me to carry on cleaning her windows even when she's gone, as her daughter is living there.And said I'd better clean the bird shit of the windows,as shed be watching me from above. That made me laugh and how cool is she !

Sky_Blue_Daz

First time I took my dad away for a trip we flew to Dublin
My dads a bit of an anxious flyer
I said to him "dad it'll be fine when you times up your times up"
He said "yeah that's all well and good but what if the pilots times up "

Monners

My old man died in 88 and watched the cup final in 87 from his hospital bed. He knew he had about a year ( can't beat a bit of asbestos) but never complained although we knew he was scared at times. My mother kept it all going at the time and made sure everything was normal as possible. She passed away in April this year, and kept gping as well as she could until we had to put her in her home (which was great a great place) - her way of dealing with life was "just get on with it, what choice do you have". They both had it tough growing up in 30'/40's Ireland, and made the best of what they had.

wingy

We as a family experienced both extremes, dad suddenly at 49 and mum after fighting cancer for around five years.
If there's a choice depending on your mentality I'd say being forwarned, for the family as a whole was the better of this Hobsons Choice.
Mum survived dad by around 33 years after what were traumatic 40's up to mid fifties with first meningitis and then mental Illness.
Finally her life picked up again and she settled well into a retirement apartment for roughly twenty serene years.
Like others she was stoic but at first a little stigmatised by having to have a colostomy bag, which she overcame rapidly as it enabled her to hang on to this wonderful conundrum that is life.
She hung onto it as fiercely as is possible, yet in the last couple of weeks she conceded that she was ready.

Otis

I used to be scared stiff as a child of dying. I never ever wanted to go to sleep in case I didn't wake up the next day.

It tormented me for years and the thought of death terrified me. Years and years of sleepless nights.

Now I am completely okay with it. Had a cancer scare about 3 months ago and I just came to the conclusion that if my time was up, my time was up and nothing was going to change that.

Had it been confirmed I would have just lived life to the full and tried to enjoy what was left.

I think as you get older you accept it more.

Otis

I'm 33 and I've got a 5 year old and 18month old. I've never been so scared of the prospect of dying as I am now. I've got so much to live for right now.

I think if I make it to 75/80 odd I'll be happy enough when my time comes, but not now.
Yeah, twenty to nine is never a good time to pop your clogs.

Johnnythespider

As wingy's brother I would echo his words on our families experience of death. I would however share the story of my brother in law who developed stomach cancer a few years back, he went through the usual treatments and had a stomach bypass, he was however told he was terminal as the tumour was attached to the pancreas and was inoperable, we rushed down to Essex following his bypass operation as my wife's family told us he was touch and go, he did in fact recover from the op and proceeded to tell anyone who would listen that he wasn't going to die, he had the usual scans and although the tumour shrank a little following treatment the prognosis stayed the same, he however remained upbeat and positive about his future, about 3 years ago he had a meeting with his consultant and was told that the tumour could not be found on the scan, it had vanished into thin air and that my brother in law was a walking miracle. This weekend we went to celebrate his 70th birthday with him, not sure if this story is relevant to this thread other than your time isn't always up when you are told it is.

Captain Dart

I don't know how I'd take it but I'm in no hurry to find out.

Gazolba

It depends on how old you are. If you are over, lets say 60, you can always say you've lived a good life and it's best to go before you really deteriorate like you do in your 80's and 90's.
I know if I was told I had 6 months to live but could extend it to 12 months with some very expensive treatment, I'd rather leave my kids with their inheritance than blow it on extending the inevitable.

Ashdown

I have no idea how I'd react ?! Does anyone really know how you would be until/if it happens. I keep trying to rack up good times, experiences and memories, it's all you can do ?!

bringbackrattles

It depends on how old you are. If you are over, lets say 60, you can always say you've lived a good life and it's best to go before you really deteriorate like you do in your 80's and 90's.
I know if I was told I had 6 months to live but could extend it to 12 months with some very expensive treatment, I'd rather leave my kids with their inheritance than blow it on extending the inevitable.
I'm 62 and feel fairly fit and hope I've got years left. But my son reckons I'm immortal and when I mentioned that I was going to set up a life assurance policy he said why what's that for ? When I told him etc he laughed and went out. So he won't listen and says don't be daft dad you'll go on forever !

Gazolba

I'm 62 and feel fairly fit and hope I've got years left. But my son reckons I'm immortal and when I mentioned that I was going to set up a life assurance policy he said why what's that for ? When I told him etc he laughed and went out. So he won't listen and says don't be daft dad you'll go on forever !
I'm older than you but I feel like I've lived a life even though there are many things I'd still like to do (but probably never will anyway) and many places I want to visit (travel is my big passion). If I got the bad news, I don't think I'd go crazy, I'd watch Monty Python re-runs, read some good books, watch some old movies. I would not go sky-diving or bungee jumping or rush off to see the great wall of China.

Pipehitterz

100 % I would shit myself then I would re visit my acid taking days, and hopefully source some DMT for the ultimate experience.
I would then probably go on a murderous rampage and take out the 3 mortal enemies i've made in on lifetime

wingy

100 % I would shit myself then I would re visit my acid taking days, and hopefully source some DMT for the ultimate experience.
I would then probably go on a murderous rampage and take out the 3 mortal enemies i've made in on lifetime
Yeah I'd like to be a force for good
Take out a few politicians.
Just kidding given the news story of the day.
Absolutely and utterly tragic.
Maybe just shake em up a bit!

Nick

Administrator
I think I would go all out thrill seeking, bungie jumping, deep sea diving, parachute jumps, base jumping.

Users who are viewing this thread