When You Retire ? (3 Viewers)

Astute

I'm a long way off retirement but have always got one eye on the future and giving myself the best chances later on in life. Been paying into a local government pension pot since about the age of 19. I'm not sure how good it is anymore or what I can really expect later on.

Specifically you guys who are coming to the end of your careers now, if you were suddenly in your mid twenties again would you do anything different to make retirement that bit more comfortable?
Always keep an eye on your pension. If anything it will help you to understand it.

I wouldn't change anything other than a silencer on the wife's mouth each time she moaned about how much money I was investing in our futures. She was always saying what we could do with the money as we had plenty of years to consider pensions. I had already started mine before we got together.

One bit of advice would be to put the full amount in if you get a better paid job. You don't miss what you didn't have. That is how I started. If you have a share scheme at work join it. And keep on slogging away at work having retirement in your view. Retirement seems a long way away but it soon comes about.

ovduk78

Correct on both counts - the deal made no sense to stay. I have taken the DBS out as really if you want to retire early the penalties imposed due to the calculation make no sense to leave it in.

I'm buying cars for the first time in 25 years

Still I can't give it up I'm afraid - already applied for one job in a rival manufacturer

I think it's hard to know when to finally retire and if you love your job it can leave a massive void in your life. I might semi-retire and still do the odd day but a lot depends on money and what plans our son has, if he goes to university I may have to continue to support him financially.

Will you be buying an F Type?

Astute

I think it's hard to know when to finally retire and if you love your job it can leave a massive void in your life. I might semi-retire and still do the odd day but a lot depends on money and what plans our son has, if he goes to university I may have to continue to support him financially.

Will you be buying an F Type?
Everybody can look at it differently. I started a new position at work a few weeks ago. It is a good enjoyable number. But I will still only stay until our future is financially safe as I know I will enjoy retirement more than working. My retirement will be one long holiday for as long as our health lasts. And I have worked enough years lust looking forward to holidays :D

Nick

Administrator
I am not sure I could ever fully retire, I'd have to volunteer or do something else I'd go out of my mind.

Astute

I am not sure I could ever fully retire, I'd have to volunteer or do something else I'd go out of my mind.
I normally help out with projects/charities when I can and this won't change with retirement as long as my health holds out. But as now it won't be planned until it happens. I just won't take a permanent position as it would tie me down. And that is the point of retirement.

bezzer

I'm a long way off retirement but have always got one eye on the future and giving myself the best chances later on in life. Been paying into a local government pension pot since about the age of 19. I'm not sure how good it is anymore or what I can really expect later on.

Specifically you guys who are coming to the end of your careers now, if you were suddenly in your mid twenties again would you do anything different to make retirement that bit more comfortable?

I don't think I'd change too much with regards to pension provision. The only financial thing I'd change would be to overpay my mortgage each month. It's astonishing how much an extra £100 a month makes on the mortgage term.

As for your current pension, you should be able to check how it's performing and get a forecast as to what to expect on your retirement.

Mr Panda

I don't think I'd change too much with regards to pension provision. The only financial thing I'd change would be to overpay my mortgage each month. It's astonishing how much an extra £100 a month makes on the mortgage term.

As for your current pension, you should be able to check how it's performing and get a forecast as to what to expect on your retirement.

Yeah good advice around the mortgage thing. I bought my first house in 2017 and 6 months later begun over paying £80 per month. Works out we'll save about £14k or something silly like that over the duration of the mortgage. Will increase that again as the payments go down.

bringbackrattles

Dropped off some unwanted clothes to local charity shop yesterday, as they look after me by keeping football stuff back till I go in the shop. As I gave them to the assistant she said thanks, but they didn't need any more stuff, but she'd ask the manager at the back if she'd take them ? I could hear the manager shouting at her, and was surprised as the manager seems a friendly sort. I thought charity shops were desperate for donations, and the voluntary staff treated with respect etc ?

Astute

Dropped off some unwanted clothes to local charity shop yesterday, as they look after me by keeping football stuff back till I go in the shop. As I gave them to the assistant she said thanks, but they didn't need any more stuff, but she'd ask the manager at the back if she'd take them ? I could hear the manager shouting at her, and was surprised as the manager seems a friendly sort. I thought charity shops were desperate for donations, and the voluntary staff treated with respect etc ?
Could be on a power trip.

I once got involved with transportation of old people to and from hospital. One old dear was having a problem opening her gate after I dropped her off. A screw had come out from the catch. Ends up she had been struggling for a few weeks with it. Went to B&Q and bought a screwdriver and screws. Fixed her gate for her. When I was finished went to see if anyone else was waiting. There was nobody. But the one who organises the lifts tried to have a right go at me. Told me someone could have been waiting and that we are only there for a lift and nothing else. If I didn't like it I could find a job elsewhere :wideyed:

Job? It was voluntary on my days off

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Could be on a power trip.

I once got involved with transportation of old people to and from hospital. One old dear was having a problem opening her gate after I dropped her off. A screw had come out from the catch. Ends up she had been struggling for a few weeks with it. Went to B&Q and bought a screwdriver and screws. Fixed her gate for her. When I was finished went to see if anyone else was waiting. There was nobody. But the one who organises the lifts tried to have a right go at me. Told me someone could have been waiting and that we are only there for a lift and nothing else. If I didn't like it I could find a job elsewhere :wideyed:

Job? It was voluntary on my days off
Both me and the missus volunteered for Age UK while we lived on the IoW. Our original roles were as "befrienders" and we used to visit 2 different old dears every week. We were only supposed to spend 10 minutes with them but we used to stay for an hour or so, because we couldn't just go after such a short visit. We ended up being shoppers, day trip companions, and pretty much anything they could get away with. We found it hard to say no. But when one of them accused us of nicking over £1000 from her, that was it. We actually found her bloody money for her as well, but no apology was given! I will never volunteer in that capacity again. The last voluntary job I did was as a Hospital Radio presenter at St Mary's Hospital, in Newport. I enjoyed that but what a thankless job! 2 years of that and I'd had enough! So now, I just look after number one (and two if you include 'er indoors!)

bringbackrattles

Both me and the missus volunteered for Age UK while we lived on the IoW. Our original roles were as "befrienders" and we used to visit 2 different old dears every week. We were only supposed to spend 10 minutes with them but we used to stay for an hour or so, because we couldn't just go after such a short visit. We ended up being shoppers, day trip companions, and pretty much anything they could get away with. We found it hard to say no. But when one of them accused us of nicking over £1000 from her, that was it. We actually found her bloody money for her as well, but no apology was given! I will never volunteer in that capacity again. The last voluntary job I did was as a Hospital Radio presenter at St Mary's Hospital, in Newport. I enjoyed that but what a thankless job! 2 years of that and I'd had enough! So now, I just look after number one (and two if you include 'er indoors!)
As you know I'm a window cleaner. A few years ago an elderly lady on my round who I'd known since I was a kid, well I used to do jobs for her, as she was housebound and had no family etc. She had carers in and out all the time, and one was stealing money from her purse. Anyway to cut a long story short one " carer" got caught stealing from another home. The bitch tried to blame everyone, even said " the window cleaner could be doing it " but she was caught by a hidden camera which social services had installed. They say you shouldn't hit a woman, but I wanted to stick one on her !

Gazolba

Number one is looking after your health. Eat right. Exercise. Stay away (or moderate) red meat, alcohol and tobacco.
Wear sunglasses whenever outside (to protect your eyes). Not just when the sun is out.
Get all the medical check-ups your age determines necessary.
Have weight and blood pressure monitored regularly.
Retirement is not just about how much money you have accumulated (although that certainly helps) but it's about how your health has been maintained.

Users who are viewing this thread