When will the defence be strengthened - does it need it to be? (1 Viewer)

skybluebal

We are scoring goals for fun but our goals against is concerning. Leyton Orient are at the top of the table having scored 24 (2 more than us) but conceded only 6 (10 fewer than us). Why have we not put together a stronger defence set up?

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack."
- Sun Tzu (The Art of War)

Hobo

This is an interesting one. Defence strengthening often alludes to the frailties of the four defenders and a goalkeeper. One or more may have weaknesses.

However, goals are often scored because of a frailty or weakness in front of those players. The shape is lost drawing a defender out of position or resulting in the defence being out numbered.

It could be concentration at certain critical points, it could be tactics at certain critical points.

We certainly seem to have had a problem for a number of years now that we don't defend leads well. The fact that, players, managers and coaching staff have all changed so much means a few individuals can't be responsible for that problem.

So perhaps the lack of continuity is the problem. People need to learn their trade, learn how their colleagues operate. Who responds to praise, who responds to a kick up the arse, who is best at what in certain situations.

Perhaps we need to invest in time, patience and good coaching.

skybluebal

This is an interesting one. Defence strengthening often alludes to the frailties of the four defenders and a goalkeeper. One or more may have weaknesses.

However, goals are often scored because of a frailty or weakness in front of those players. The shape is lost drawing a defender out of position or resulting in the defence being out numbered..

Fair and valid comments. I agree that defence, although the primary aim of the back four+goalie, is a responsibility of the whole team. We have had a fairly stable team of personnel and as Pressley is ensuring the same style of play is applied from the youth team up, it might be expected that we should be "better" at defending.

I am confident Pressley will sort it out, but with the opportunity to bring in new players, I would like to have seen an 'enforcer' brought in.

Astute

We already have an enforcer. He is the highest paid at our club. His name is Timothy.

Just shows that money is still wasted at our club and spent in the wrong places.

thaiskyblue

would have liked the southampton lad ( sorry i've forgotten his name), big , solid, and was comfortable on the ball, middle of defence needs plugging, i like murphy as a keeper but what let's him down is coming for crosses, so we need a strong brave center back.

Glen

We have no money or allowed to purchase better wages than we have already. So how can we improve anything

Mrpipes

There is nil money to buy loan or even beg another player in , what you see now is what we have for the season , bar selling at xmas

Nick

Administrator
There is nil money to buy loan or even beg another player in , what you see now is what we have for the season , bar selling at xmas

Didn't people also say our.best players would be sold in the last window? I'm not saying they won't it will at Christmas but think we were all pleasantly shocked this window ( bar maybe a signing more).

Haven't we also just signed a player?

Mrpipes

Their valuations were not met , if they had been Clarke Christie add Wilson would be gone and we'd probably be playing with manset up front in a 451 formation with the little Ginger fella at right back and Daniels starting in mid with nil back up for any of them
Make no mistake , he we ain't in play off places at xmas then it's goodbye to front 2 at very least

Who have we just bought?
Didn't people also say our.best players would be sold in the last window? I'm not saying they won't it will at Christmas but think we were all pleasantly shocked this window ( bar maybe a signing more).

Haven't we also just signed a player?

Nick

Administrator
Their valuations were not met , if they had been Clarke Christie add Wilson would be gone and we'd probably be playing with manset up front in a 451 formation with the little Ginger fella at right back and Daniels starting in mid with nil back up for any of them
Make no mistake , he we ain't in play off places at xmas then it's goodbye to front 2 at very least

Who have we just bought?

When did I say we bought anybody, I said signed. The young lad from rangers...

Ahh so it was the old valuations were not met line, they weren't sold. Surely it is a good thing they weren't sold because valuations were not met? At the end of the day, they didn't go so why are you trying to find a way to still have a go at sisu, even though they didn't actually sell anybody?

Hobo

Folks we have only played eight games and have four points on the board in real terms (but have actually gained fourteen). Lets not be too hasty.

Astute

I love SISU. They never sold anyone although we have too many players and got offers that Waggott was happy with.

Is that better Nick?

Sky Blue Harry H

would have liked the southampton lad ( sorry i've forgotten his name), big , solid, and was comfortable on the ball, middle of defence needs plugging, i like murphy as a keeper but what let's him down is coming for crosses, so we need a strong brave center back.

Yeah, Le Tissier has got a decent first touch, and he's definitely big and solid

Nick

Administrator
I love SISU. They never sold anyone although we have too many players and got offers that Waggott was happy with.

Is that better Nick?

When did anybody say that? We didn't sell our best players and they get slated because it was only because we didn't get a good enough offer and if they had sold them people would moan anyway.... that was my point.

Astute

:D

I agree Nick, but is only someone's opinion at the end of the day.

We could always have a list of opinions that we are not allowed to express if you think that would be better ;)

Nick

Administrator
:D

I agree Nick, but is only someone's opinion at the end of the day.

We could always have a list of opinions that we are not allowed to express if you think that would be better ;)

No, of course people are entitled to opinions but they just look a bit silly when they moan that we didn't sell players when they would have a melt down if we did....

Astute

What idiot has complained about not selling our strikers or Christie then. ..without knowing how he would start today?

Nick

Administrator
What idiot has complained about not selling our strikers or Christie then. ..without knowing how he would start today?

The ones who are complaining that they only weren't sold because we weren't offered enough, which happens at every club and with every thing in life.

skybluebal

Oh dear, after reading the posts on the forum after the brentford game, it seems we are lacking that leader. But will it make any difference if the atmosphere is so poor that the team can't be lifted. I hope the players aren't getting into a negative mindset.

georgehudson

i think this question was covered at the recent fans forum,
with such a small squad, we will come up against problems created by injury or suspension,
still, JS / TF will sort that ?
NOT

Astute

The ones who are complaining that they only weren't sold because we weren't offered enough, which happens at every club and with every thing in life.

Was it complaining though?

It seems you can complain about ACL as much as you want. It isn't complaining though. It is making a comment. But you can't make a comment about the way our club is run as it is complaining :thinking about:

Sky Blue Pete

I repeat why are we not replacing the players we lost as agreed with the football league? Otium have agreed to fund the club for 3-5 years so what does that mean?

kmj5000

With the club having a potential turnover of little more than £500k for the whole season (just ticket sales and a bit of TV income) we will struggle to add to the squad under the FFP rules - other than inexperienced youngsters.

When we were in admin, Pressley said he wanted to bring in some players and he had his targets. Now that the league have said we can sign players on a limited basis, Pressley says he wants to stick with what he's got! Once Tim realised that that his prediction of gates of up to 7/8000 was wildly optimistic, perhaps he was told he can't sign anyone who might demand a decent wage?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread