When is the start of next season? (1 Viewer)

jto123

Thought there should probably be a thread devoted to this. Do we have any idea of the process in place? When will a decision be made? When is it likely to start?

chiefdave

I'd say September at the earliest.

Prem is scheduled to finish on 26th July, FA Cup final 1st August and the Champions League runs 7th August to 23rd August.

Presume there will then be a break but shorter than normal, they will at least need time to schedule fixtures as normal on the assumption that at some point fans will be let back in.

What happens next will spend on how likely we are to have crowds back and when. Is it financially viable for L1 and L2 to start behind closed doors. If not you've got an issue with keeping the season across all divisions in sync.

jto123

I'd say September at the earliest.

Prem is scheduled to finish on 26th July, FA Cup final 1st August and the Champions League runs 7th August to 23rd August.

Presume there will then be a break but shorter than normal, they will at least need time to schedule fixtures as normal on the assumption that at some point fans will be let back in.

What happens next will spend on how likely we are to have crowds back and when. Is it financially viable for L1 and L2 to start behind closed doors. If not you've got an issue with keeping the season across all divisions in sync.

Presumably they also have to give the clubs a certain amount of notice so they can prepare for the season. My worry is that we'll wait for that notice and it'll only be a month leaving our players unprepared after having not played for half a year.

Sick Boy

Presumably they also have to give the clubs a certain amount of notice so they can prepare for the season. My worry is that we'll wait for that notice and it'll only be a month leaving our players unprepared after having not played for half a year.
It is what it is, no point spending time worrying about it. They’ll want to get it underway sooner rather than later though because of the Euros.

chiefdave

It will trickle down from the top. UEFA will want European Leagues in sync with each other as usual next season so the Champions League can be played. That will dictate when the PL starts and the EFL will fall in line with that.

Just going to have to wait, everyone will be in the same position. Presume the club will have given players fitness stuff to do and then there will need to be a full pre-season.

jto123

It will trickle down from the top. UEFA will want European Leagues in sync with each other as usual next season so the Champions League can be played. That will dictate when the PL starts and the EFL will fall in line with that.

Just going to have to wait, everyone will be in the same position. Presume the club will have given players fitness stuff to do and then there will need to be a full pre-season.

That seems to make sense. Was hoping UEFA will make a decision soon, but that'll probably be unlikely if they have to assess the situation in every single European league.

Magwitch

I think they would love to start with some fans allowed in, so leaving big kick-off as late as possible I reckon end of September, first weekend of October. Behind closed doors is going to be costly. As for completing games there will have to be more mid-week games and perhaps no league cup or EFL cup or even cancelling both for a season.

stay_up_skyblues

I had a meeting with the Head of Estates and Head of H&S at a Premier League club (nothing glamorous) on Thursday and asked for any inside info. They said start of September and players will be having 2-3 weeks off tops.

Users who are viewing this thread