When City sold Hudson (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Having been a fan since the Jimmy Hill era I've witnessed many OMG moments like the Hud being told he no longer fitted into Jimmy's plans.Denis Mortimer being sold to Villa was a shocker,and many fans are disgusted at how Baker is being treated currently.What other moments have made you go "what the hell's all that about." Excluding SISU etc as we all feel pissed off with them.

duffer

I think the one that really brought it home to me, was when Huckerby was sold, and it was reported that he was in tears at the training ground because he didn't want to leave the club.

All that stuff about players needing to show loyalty to the club kind of went out of the window that day. If clubs can do this when it suits them, they can hardly complain when players look after themselves too. It might be the beautiful game, but it's a properly ugly business.

WestEndAgro

Losing out on signing Steve Bull , I think his signing would have been a major turning point in our history.

Hobo

Gary Thompson to WBA, we were doing well but only had a squad of about 15 or something ridiculous.

Ian1779

When they sacked Black... and replaced him with Reid. Set us back years when we finally looked like we had turned the corner on the pitch.

paulw

Having been a fan since the Jimmy Hill era I've witnessed many OMG moments like the Hud being told he no longer fitted into Jimmy's plans.Denis Mortimer being sold to Villa was a shocker,and many fans are disgusted at how Baker is being treated currently.What other moments have made you go "what the hell's all that about." Excluding SISU etc as we all feel pissed off with them.

So it's only negative stuff you want? Why do some of you guys only want to hear that stuff?

Negative - relegation
Positive - Being in Wembley when Houchen scored that unbelieveable goal.

rightumpty

Not directly related to your post, but like you I have supported City for God knows how many years and can remember the armada of city fans making their way to away games and before the motorways were built.

That said among my most vivid memories were of George Hudson with his back to goal, flicking the ball over his head, turning and volleying it into the back of the net.
I can remember Wilf Smith - our first £100,000.00 player making his debut at Derby after weeks of being injured. A deluge of rain and we were 3-0 down at half time. Needless to say he was taken off and we eventually won 4-3 with - I think - a Neil Martin hatrick.
Last but not least that donkey kick - say no more.

Any other vivid memories of latter years ?????

skyblueexile

wont get much worse than kings lynn and sutton united - YES I was at both

BUT also at Wembley

good or bad whatever I support CCFC

bringbackrattles

Not directly related to your post, but like you I have supported City for God knows how many years and can remember the armada of city fans making their way to away games and before the motorways were built.

That said among my most vivid memories were of George Hudson with his back to goal, flicking the ball over his head, turning and volleying it into the back of the net.
I can remember Wilf Smith - our first £100,000.00 player making his debut at Derby after weeks of being injured. A deluge of rain and we were 3-0 down at half time. Needless to say he was taken off and we eventually won 4-3 with - I think - a Neil Martin hatrick.

Like you got so many. Huds hat-trick on his debut,Ian Gibson's thunderbolt verses Cardiff,Bill Glazier in his red cap making great saves,Curtis crunching into a rival,Speedie's treble of headers,the Hutch on the wing, and many more. OMG !

torchomatic

I think Hartson was a similar story. And McSheff. Neither wanted to leave.

I think the one that really brought it home to me, was when Huckerby was sold, and it was reported that he was in tears at the training ground because he didn't want to leave the club.

All that stuff about players needing to show loyalty to the club kind of went out of the window that day. If clubs can do this when it suits them, they can hardly complain when players look after themselves too. It might be the beautiful game, but it's a properly ugly business.

letsallsingtogether

I had a tear or 2 the day we beat Leeds in the semi finals,

Also the day we got relegated from the Prem and at the Vile made it worse!!

SkyBlueCharlie

George Curtis (I think it was) putting Derek Dougan over the wall and into the crowd. No idea of the date but it just surfaces every so often and i have to have a quiet snigger to myself.

bringbackrattles

George Curtis (I think it was) putting Derek Dougan over the wall and into the crowd. No idea of the date but it just surfaces every so often and i have to have a quiet snigger to myself.
Talking of Dougan and an OMG moment.When we beat Wolves that great day when we had 51,000 in the ground,us kids ran on the pitch and I remember this young City lad crying his eyes out because Dougan had raked his studs down the kids leg.People said he did it on purpose because he was angry at our win. Who knows but it stuck in my mind.

shmmeee

Cried as a kid when we sold Gallagher. He was the first "hero" I remember going and I don't think I quite understood that players could get sold.

Also in a pub in Newquay when we got relegated, though I was quite pissed at the time. I just couldn't believe we could actually go down. Being the Villa just made it worse.

Samo

Gary McAllister coming to the club was pretty wow!

duffer

In terms of positive memories (other than the obvious 87 stuff) - in no particular order, Robbie Keane's debut, that procession of incredible chipped goals by Speedie, Mo Konjic running at defenders, and just about anything involving Lloyd McGrath. :)

Ah, Big Mo. Not just a good player - a great man.

lagger

George Curtis said Derek Dougan was the best left winger he ever played against !!!!!!!!!!

skybluetony176

When they sacked Black... and replaced him with Reid. Set us back years when we finally looked like we had turned the corner on the pitch.

This▲

Also getting in the car one morning to go to work and the first thing I heard on the radio was confirmation that we'd sold Dublin to Villa.

RegTheDonk

I guess when we got relegated and Richardson said well keep our kids and build for the future. Kirkland went soon after.

A positive was singing Speedie it looked like Sillet had finally got his man and it was the only real time I was really positive at the start of a season.

Last edited:

SkyBlueSid

Your memory is playing a few tricks there. It was right that Wilf Smith was carried off 5 minutes into his debut, and we were soon 2-0 down. But we battled back to 2-2 by half time and then led 3-2. They equalised and then Glazier saved a penalty, before Willie Carr scored the winner right at the end. Martin scored 2, Clements the other. One of the greatest away games I ever went to, an amazing night.

I remember our second game after promotion was at Nottingham Forest who had finished 2nd in Division 1 the previous season. George Curtis broke his leg after about 5 minutes and Bobby Gould was the sub - only one on the bench then. Everyone feared a disaster for the inexperienced team. But they battled their hearts out in front of a huge crowd, led 3 times, Gould scored twice, and were unlucky only to draw 3-3. Fantastic days to be a city fan.

bringbackrattles

Your memory is playing a few tricks there. It was right that Wilf Smith was carried off 5 minutes into his debut, and we were soon 2-0 down. But we battled back to 2-2 by half time and then led 3-2. They equalised and then Glazier saved a penalty, before Willie Carr scored the winner right at the end. Martin scored 2, Clements the other. One of the greatest away games I ever went to, an amazing night.

I remember our second game after promotion was at Nottingham Forest who had finished 2nd in Division 1 the previous season. George Curtis broke his leg after about 5 minutes and Bobby Gould was the sub - only one on the bench then. Everyone feared a disaster for the inexperienced team. But they battled their hearts out in front of a huge crowd, led 3 times, Gould scored twice, and were unlucky only to draw 3-3. Fantastic days to be a city fan.
Great moments indeed. On the opposite of that can you recall a night game against Leicester in the league cup I think it was when they stuck eight goals in our net ? What a downer that was and against them as well !

Nick

Administrator
I was really gutted when we played newcastle at the ricoh and Owen scored in extra time I think.in the cup?

Also that.cobi Jones awful after I had his name on my shirt :(

Grendel

To me the pivotal and defining moment was the sacking of John Sillett and the absurd decision to replace him with Terry Butcher.

Butcher then hacking the squad to pieces and bringing in mediocre player after mediocre player.

Sillett should have at least been given a director of football position such was his enthusiasm and love for the club along with technical knowledge.

The club rapidly descended to what it had been prior to his appointment.

DazzleTommyDazzle

To me the pivotal and defining moment was the sacking of John Sillett and the absurd decision to replace him with Terry Butcher.

Butcher then hacking the squad to pieces and bringing in mediocre player after mediocre player.

Sillett should have at least been given a director of football position such was his enthusiasm and love for the club along with technical knowledge.

The club rapidly descended to what it had been prior to his appointment.

Have to agree.

A very strange decision by Poynton.

rupert_bear

Houchens second goal at Sheffield Wednesday and our third in an epic 3-1 win to get to the semis it was then it dawnrd this could be our year and it was. Low point the appointment of Steve Waggott who is bit by bit stripping our club bare.

HUD - the greatest

A bit more of the HUD - from SBT a couple of years ago

George Hudson

Some of the posts picking their best 11 of all time included George Hudson but most SBT's were not around at the time to witness one of the greatest players of all time play for CCFC.

GH was bought from Peterboro in 1963 replacing current legend Terry Bly causing absolute mayhem for City fans BUT the maestro promptly scored a hat trick on his debut against Halifax Town and another legend was born.

It wasn't just the quantity of goals, 162 in 296 games, but the sheer brilliance of most of them.

George was not a big guy, about the same size and stature as Kevin Philips, but boy could he put it about.

With his swarthy looks and style of play you would have thought he was of Brazillian stock but he was just a normal English guy from Manchester.

Some of his goals defied logic and it is tragic there was no media in those days to capture this mesmerising character and his goals.

George stayed with us for three years top goal scoring every year until he was sold to Northampton in 1966 missing the push to Div 1 the following year.

Such was his popularity thousands (yes thousands) of City fans actually watched George play at Northampton for a number of games - simply wouldn't happen in todays game.

George is still alive and kicking in Manchester aged 74 and is a frequent guest of the Sky Blues Legend match days.

His career goal total of 162 in 296 games would equate to 25+ goals per 46 goal season.

What a player.

Any one else have fond memories of George ???

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

A bit more of the HUD - from SBT a couple of years ago

George Hudson

Some of the posts picking their best 11 of all time included George Hudson but most SBT's were not around at the time to witness one of the greatest players of all time play for CCFC.

GH was bought from Peterboro in 1963 replacing current legend Terry Bly causing absolute mayhem for City fans BUT the maestro promptly scored a hat trick on his debut against Halifax Town and another legend was born.

It wasn't just the quantity of goals, 162 in 296 games, but the sheer brilliance of most of them.

George was not a big guy, about the same size and stature as Kevin Philips, but boy could he put it about.

With his swarthy looks and style of play you would have thought he was of Brazillian stock but he was just a normal English guy from Manchester.

Some of his goals defied logic and it is tragic there was no media in those days to capture this mesmerising character and his goals.

George stayed with us for three years top goal scoring every year until he was sold to Northampton in 1966 missing the push to Div 1 the following year.

Such was his popularity thousands (yes thousands) of City fans actually watched George play at Northampton for a number of games - simply wouldn't happen in todays game.

George is still alive and kicking in Manchester aged 74 and is a frequent guest of the Sky Blues Legend match days.

His career goal total of 162 in 296 games would equate to 25+ goals per 46 goal season.

What a player.

Any one else have fond memories of George ??? I was at the Hud's debut against Halifax and he quickly became my hero. I have mentioned it on here before but if you missed it.As a kid me and my mates would cycle to Norton Hill to where some of the players lived,and would hang about in the hope of catching one or two of them.We stood outside Hudson's house and to my amazement he came out to us.he signed our autograph books and gave us a glass of pop each ! We cycled back to Walsgrave on cloud nine and I have always remembered that day.

Users who are viewing this thread