What's the worst and best away ground you've ever been to and why? (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Apart from stating the bleeding obvious - Sixfields (yawn), what's the worst away ground you've been to and what's the best?
My worst was Gillingham. What a shithole it was! I'd travelled down in the back of a Fiat Panda (and I'm a big bloke!) with a couple of mates. Long journey for an evening cup game, shit ground, awful facilities for away fans (queues for ages for pies etc at half-time) and then a bloody nightmare journey back.
Best ground I've been to has got to be Anfield simply for the atmosphere! Full house in another cup match. Great crowd, good facilities and good banter with the scousers!

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Apart from stating the bleeding obvious - Sixfields (yawn), what's the worst away ground you've been to and what's the best?
My worst was Gillingham. What a shithole it was! I'd travelled down in the back of a Fiat Panda (and I'm a big bloke!) with a couple of mates. Long journey for an evening cup game, shit ground, awful facilities for away fans (queues for ages for pies etc at half-time) and then a bloody nightmare journey back.
Best ground I've been to has got to be Anfield simply for the atmosphere! Full house in another cup match. Great crowd, good facilities and good banter with the scousers!

Best atmosphere Anfield? Went with 8000 city fasns in the League cup,city fans were singing where's your famous f**kin Kop,worst ground the old Den:eek: my favourite is White Hart Lane

rob9872

I just like all the old traditional grounds. I know the facilities were crap, the views sometimes awful and health and safety nightmares, but they just captured so much more of what the game means to me. That said I campaigned for a return to our soul less bowl and I hope we can make it a real home.

rob9872

I can't say I hated sixfields as I never went but their old ground roped off from the cricket pitch when we got rained on without cover and lost in the cup, has to be right up there!

CJ_covblaze

Best overall -
1. The Boleyn
2. Craven Cottage
3. Hillsborough
4. The Donbass, Donetsk
5. The Etihad

Worst overall -
1. Whaddon Road
2. Kenilworth Road
3. Layer Road (happily no longer with us)
4. Glanford Park
5. London Road = Selhurst Park

Best for an away day - Oakwell, The Etihad, St Andrews

Worst for an away day - Whaddon Road, Gresty Road, Chester City (no idea what the ground's called now!)

Best atmosphere - The Hawthorns, Parc des Princes, Oakwell = Loftus Road

Worst atmosphere - Whaddon Road (surely you can see a patten emerging here!), Monoloo, The Priestfield

Best facilities - The Donbass, The Etihad, The Emirates

Worst facilities - Whaddon Road (worked it out yet?), Kennilworth Road, Selhurst Park.

Most surprising (positive) - Nene Park

Biggest let down - Guess... Whaddon Road

Terry Gibson's perm

I can't say I hated sixfields as I never went but their old ground roped off from the cricket pitch when we got rained on without cover and lost in the cup, has to be right up there!

Horrible day awful ground I also think Grimsby was pretty rough but the coldest was Oldham on midweek week cup game about 20 years ago or Old Wembley as you couldn't see anything in the seats with no backs.

Best Hillborough for the memories, Emirates for the view.

Best foreign ground San Siro a wonderful place to watch football but would like to go to Dortmund at some point.

Brighton Sky Blue

Best I've been to in Scotland: East End Park (Dunfermline), purely for the half time food and mascot.
Worst in Scotland: Dens Park (Dundee), not even the bridies could redeem that place.

Best in England: St Mary's (Southampton) despite the 0-4 embarrassment.
Worst: Has to be Ashton Gate (Bristol C).

Best I've been to all round though was the Allianz in Munich. Fantastic atmosphere, lots of terracing without feeling squished, good food and drink and visually impressive from the outside.

TheHellion

Worst I've been to is Gresty Road, Crewe.

Best I've been to is St Mary's in Southampton (although kind of technically a home ground for me as I lived in Totton at the time)

kdrinkell

Emirates was by far the best
Torquay edged it as the worst but Colchester and Bristol City were close

Covstu

Best ground: Everton for the atmosphere and i love the old style grounds. Love both Ibrox and Celtic park too.
Worst - Luton, shitehole!

skybluesalex

Top 5 Favorite Days Out - No Order

1. Victoria Park - Hartlepool
2. Gigg Lane - Bury
3. Oakwell - Barnsley
4. Fratton Park - Portsmouth
5. Roots Hall - Southend

Top 5 worst

1. Boundary Park - Oldham
2. County Ground - Swindon
3. Bescot Stadium - Walsall
4. Broadfield Stadium - Crawley
5. Lamex Stadium - Stevenage

CJ_covblaze

Top 5 Favorite Days Out - No Order

1. Victoria Park - Hartlepool
2. Gigg Lane - Bury
3. Oakwell - Barnsley
4. Fratton Park - Portsmouth
5. Roots Hall - Southend

Top 5 worst

1. Boundary Park - Oldham
2. County Ground - Swindon
3. Bescot Stadium - Walsall
4. Broadfield Stadium - Crawley
5. Lamex Stadium - Stevenage

How could I forget Boundry Park. What a dive.

leachy19

Not enough hate for Gigg Lane on here. I payed £2.50 for a hot dog that was one Richmond Sausage and an Asda batch then sat oposite about 40 bury fans in total. Shocking atmosphere.

CJ_covblaze

Gaz71

When I was 16 I went to Norwich away with my next door neighbour and we lost 3-1, I think David Speedie scored our goal(penalty). I remember being in the corner of the ground with a metal gridded fence from floor to ceiling, when we scored everyone jumped onto the fence which was covered in anti vandal paint, which got all over my bleached drain pipes, we then left the ground and headed back to the car, and got set upon by 5 home fans who started pushing me around and called me a coventry wanker in there best farmers accent and then the biggest guy took a swing and missed and fell over, his mate grabbed me, told me i was a lucky boy and then stole my 3/4 Coventry, 1/4 rangers hat. When we got out of the car park we passed a pub with loads of home fans outside and the guy who stole my hat had it on and was dancing around his mates. I've hated Norwich with a passion ever since!.

Ashdown

The Old Den, Millwall. Tunnels and walkways and psychotic supporters.

Always liked going to Forest and both Sheffield clubs. Been to over 60 old and new grounds, like no end of them really. I suppose it's easy to be fond of those where we had the best time and good support.

Steve.B50

Lucky enough to have seen City play at most grounds over the years although Fleetwood will be a new one for me this season.
in recent years my favourite grounds would be :

Arsenal had to be the best ever in UK for me
Walsall, easy to get to, easy to get a drink and a bite to eat.
Oldham, just for the pies
Hartlepool, we always win and good to be near seaside.
Newcastle, amazing loyal supporters, great old fashioned stadium in a City Centre
both Sheffield clubs, always a great day out.

worse:
Bradford, terrible area, no food, poor toilets and crap away end
Swindon, just dislike them full stop
Leicester,
Liverpool because I blame them for our whole situation. ( they stopped us playing in Europe )
Stevenage, just noting there and it always rains.

LastGarrison

Brighton at the Hockey Stadium was a joke! Shrewbury for being in the arse end of nowhere and Crewe just for being in Crewe all spring to mind. Oh and Palace how could I forget fucking Palace.

Got to admit I like the MK Dons Stadium, Watford because it's a good day on the piss and also loved Highbury.

Best ground I have been to though has to be Benfica's Stadium of Light - absolutely class!

ccfctommy

Best grounds for me is White Hart Lane, The Emirates and Ibrox. Ibrox especially when you look at the outside of the main stand.

I also liked Rotherham's new ground, and Sheffield United's ground is pretty smart. Bradford City too but as one poster said, crap away end. The AMex at Brighton is very nice stadium too as it Pride Park.

As other posters have said, I like the old style grounds. Brentford's was very nice, if not a bit compact. Then there are the two Nottingham clubs, proper football grounds in a nice setting too.

Now the worst ones....as CJ said, Layer Road, Colchester. Reminded me on Nuneaton Borough's ground. Swindon Town, the whole place is a total shithole.

Edit: How can I forget Stevenage!?

My first away game was the first season derby were in the premiership at the baseball ground. That place was a shithole bigtime and we lost.

Users who are viewing this thread