What's the attraction?! (1 Viewer)

I find myself asking the same question time and time again whenever i see a player we're rumoured to be interested in. Since being relagated our average league position is about 16th. We're in a financial mess, so probably not likely to be able to match other clubs contract offers. Our manager is unproven(im a big fan of AT, just approaching this how a player might).

I struggle to see how players would be wanting to come here to play their football here as oppose to regular top half contenders, Forrest, Reading and Burnley ect.

Over other clubs what do we really have? Apart from that 'great' stadium that they all seem to mention. You know, the one we dont own..

:blue:

Hcut PUSB

Its a fair point however , maybe one or two of the better players on offer might like a punt on "AT" and what he could bring based on the back end of last season. Unlikely but it would be nice.

skybluegod

I dont think we should get sisu out considering they did get us out of debt and hopefully we will get some investment soon like AT and the board say there has been some serious talks

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I dont think we should get sisu out considering they did get us out of debt and hopefully we will get some investment soon like AT and the board say there has been some serious talks

Firstly they wont go until they want to or the club goes bust - so "we" cant get SISU out.

Secondly they didnt get us out of debt they took the debt over so that it is owed to them not banks and other third parties

Third, per LB on CWR on friday there have been no serious offers seen from investors only some interest but they continue to try to find new investors.

We are stuck with SISU for now for better or worse

howzer

Banned
King going, westwood to go and Gunnar been going all year, who cares

these players are 10 to the dozen, dont get me wrong Westwood is a good keeper, but he will find it very hard in the premier, and if sundersland dont take to him straight away theyll bring in another keeper and he will be warming the bench. King was a good player for us and i would like to have kept him, but was he the best player we have ? no not necassarily, i would say Ben Turner is by far the best player we have and is potentially a record transfer for our club when is sold next season. Gunnar has never repeated his first year ... for me he is welcome to find another club, though i am happy for him to stay, it would be no great loss.

For me it is all about who Thorn brings in and how they react for him, the fact is there are a hundred budding Kings in the lower leagues waiting for their opportunity, and keepers are 10 a penny, (murphy being a much better keeper than Westwood), and well Gunnars? sorry mate i really like ya but there are thousands of Gunnarsons out there even in the conference, good for 1 game shite for the next 3!!

the good news is we now have a manager who is the scout, he will bring in HIS players and have them play the game His way, it has been a long time since that happened at any club let alone city. Lets see who they get in, my opinion is Murphy, a couple of average midfielders from the 1st and 2nd league and maybe the likes of Kevin Phillips on a payp contract. I pray we dont get premier league has beens.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
First of all I think people should stop putting thems have a good season (i'm not saying we will blitz the table by a long shot... I think its a hard season ahead). But we'r not far from being as good as most of the bigger clubs in the championship and until we can sign some decent players we never will be. If you are not willing to let the club make slow progress we will never make any. Thorn should just do a clough and sign players, fuck the bigwigs. :p

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah but if you believed everything in The Damned United, you'd assume that Bremner, Giles and Lorimer-3 of the greatest players in England in the 70's-had zero redeeming features and were simply selfish little arseholes.

@Howzer (welcome btw-another of the CT Crew find sanctury!) I reckon Westwood will be missed, whoever comes in (including Murphy) won't be as good. But I agree that there are loads of cracking players in the lower leagues, and AT is the man to find them. After all, where did we get Westwood from? King made his name at..Gillingham. Norwichs' promotion winning strikeforce (Jackson/Holt) had not long before been at Gillingham and Bury. We just need to find the ones who are capapble of stepping up.

And yes, the big difference between the non-league player with talent and the superstar tends to be application and consistency. Baker shows incredible touches one week, and then the next nothing comes off for him. Thornton should have never ended up in L2 with his career dangling by a thread based on purely football ability, but we all know what his dedication off the pitch was to..

Last edited:

Glenn Storer

Yeah but if you believed everything in The Damned United, you'd assume that Bremner, Giles and Lorimer-3 of the greatest players in England in the 70's-had zero redeeming features and were simply selfish little arseholes.

@Howzer (welcome btw-another of the CT Crew find sanctury!) I reckon Westwood will be missed, whoever comes in (including Murphy) won't be as good. But I agree that there are loads of cracking players in the lower leagues, and AT is the man to find them. After all, where did we get Westwood from? King made his name at..Gillingham. Norwichs' promotion winning strikeforce (Jackson/Holt) had not long before been at Gillingham and Bury. We just need to find the ones who are capapble of stepping up.

And yes, the big difference between the non-league player with talent and the superstar tends to be application and consistency. Baker shows incredible touches one week, and then the next nothing comes off for him. Thornton should have never ended up in L2 with his career dangling by a thread based on purely football ability, but we all know what his dedication off the pitch was to..

I'm not sure I can agree about Westwood, he's a great shot stopper; probably the best in the league but over the course of the last season and especially toward the end the amount of silly mistakes he made were obscene. Numerous near post goals, flapping and just switching off are all heinous mistakes for a keeper. Not to mention the kicking, dear God the kicking.

It's yet to be seen if Murphy can match him for shot stopping, but one would hope that he's at least more consistent in the food and drink aspects of goalkeeping. Plus, he's one of the top keepers in the Football League, you can't turn your nose up at that!

As for what's the attraction, I had to actually think about that. :eek:

The stadium, albeit it's not ours, they're still playing in it and it's going to take a disaster to get us out of it so there's that. Coming to the club, you're 90% likely to play every week if you can actually play football. (Sorry R'OD). Okay, so us fans can be a bit fickle, but what every recognises is that Cov fans love a trier. So, play football and you'll have a fanbase behind you. Don't and by Christ you'll be booed every week.

Plus, what we seem to forget is there's a lot of goodwill and history to the club, we're one of the longest serving Premier clubs (and now longest serving Champ club unfortunately...) so we're not exactly Barnsley...

Users who are viewing this thread