What's happened to sandpaper ? (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Something has gone badly wrong with sandpaper in the last few years. Doesn't last 5 minutes and its completely buggered. I've had to buy belt sandpaper on line, which lasts for ages.
If this is to do with some E.U directive then those who voted Brexit are completely right. Perhaps in the end the referendum was all down to crap sandpaper . Anyway , it's just my opinion, but i'm sure those of you who have been doing decorating for years must have noticed how bad things are.

wingy

Something has gone badly wrong with sandpaper in the last few years. Doesn't last 5 minutes and its completely buggered. I've had to buy belt sandpaper on line, which lasts for ages.
If this is to do with some E.U directive then those who voted Brexit are completely right. Perhaps in the end the referendum was all down to crap sandpaper . Anyway , it's just my opinion, but i'm sure those of you who have been doing decorating for years must have noticed how bad things are.
Nah you get what you pay for.
80 and 60 grit still make my fingers bleed if I've taken time out.

Otis

Same with everything. Nothing lasts anymore. I wear shoes out in three months and the amount of times I've changed my batteries in my vibrator these past few months beggars belief.

wingy

Back on topic ADM I can assure you the crap I had to use in the early seventies was far inferior to todays.

CovBurty

Most of the belt papers are from Portugal or European. I've not used a UK sandpaper for years and I've been using sandpaper 40 years. Wet n dry glasspaper lasted well but you would use these with water to keep grit clean. Nothing to do with Brexit. Basically this country has outsourced most things cause we are shit at making things now. People mostly want to be tv stars, celebs or sit at computers. How Brexit will fix that God knows cos everything in this country is owned by foreign companies. Blame Thatcher. she started selling us off the China and Europe. But yes belt paper is better to use and lasts.

Ranjit Bhurpa

You cant be spending enough on them.
I can get 3years out of my Chukkas.
Bought a pair of Loakes about 20 years ago and they're still going strong. Admittedly they visit the cobblers every now and then for heels and occasionally soles but well worth it. The culture now though seems to be to throw away and replace anything that's knackered rather than try and repair it.

SkyblueBazza

Maybe even sander paper has been rubbed up the wrong way?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Didn't the 'sand' used to be minute diamonds?
To economise, they are probably now using something much cheaper.

Otis

I buy expensive shoes and they fall apart after a few months. I buy cheap shoes and they also fall apart after a few months but don't cost me nearly as much.
Yup. Don't find much difference between the supposedly good quality ones and the cheap ones.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Bought a pair of Loakes about 20 years ago and they're still going strong. Admittedly they visit the cobblers every now and then for heels and occasionally soles but well worth it. The culture now though seems to be to throw away and replace anything that's knackered rather than try and repair it.

Your shoes are like Triggers broom.....

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I use sandpaper instead of bog roll! Nothing solves an itchy arse better than a good roll of sandpaper! :emoji_sunglasses:
shopping.jpg

Gazolba

Yup. Don't find much difference between the supposedly good quality ones and the cheap ones.
Combining these two subjects, my father used to glue sandpaper to the sole of his shoes to make them less likely to slip.

Otis

Combining these two subjects, my father used to glue sandpaper to the sole of his shoes to make them less likely to slip.
Did you ever get him to walk on rough cut wood to try and kill two birds with one stone?

Johnnythespider

I used to know a burglar who would remove his fingerprints from things with sandpaper. He was a smooth criminal.

Users who are viewing this thread