Whatever happened to Coventry city centre? (1 Viewer)

RedSalmon

Thinking about it if Cathedaral Lanes does end up having a few nice restaurants in it, then they will need to consider a few bars in and around the same area.

I think the problem might be that so many bars in the city centre really only aim for, and cater for, students. Any new ones that aim for the same custom base as these restaurants will have to be quite a bit different.

Otis

Thinking about it if Cathedaral Lanes does end up having a few nice restaurants in it, then they will need to consider a few bars in and around the same area.

I think the problem might be that so many bars in the city centre really only aim for, and cater for, students. Any new ones that aim for the same custom base as these restaurants will have to be quite a bit different.

The remit was restaurants and bars. Still more to come perhaps. Need to get rid of Wilko's and the Games Workshop first though.

RedSalmon

Agree about Wilko's!!!!!! Makes the place look like a car boot sale. We all need bin liners and sellotape but we dont have to put the shop that sells them in one of the most prominant parts of the Citys shopping complex.

Otis

Agree about Wilko's!!!!!! Makes the place look like a car boot sale. We all need bin liners and sellotape but we dont have to put the shop that sells them in one of the most prominant parts of the Citys shopping complex.

Wilko's would be ideal where the Co-op is or at the old sorting office in the Bishop Street development.

Co-op is due to close. That would suit Wilko's I think.

RedSalmon

Wilko's would be ideal where the Co-op is or at the old sorting office in the Bishop Street development.

Co-op is due to close. That would suit Wilko's I think.

That would be a good place to re site them, or down the precinct where Allied Carpets used to be. That shop has been empty for a long time.

J

Jack Griffin

The remit was restaurants and bars. Still more to come perhaps. Need to get rid of Wilko's and the Games Workshop first though.

Assuming the restaurant/bar scheme takes off it would be madness not to move it out and put more of the same in, maybe a small cinema/performance space too.
There is plenty of retail space elsewhere in the City Centre, something suitable could be found, if the will was there.

RedSalmon

On a slightly different subject have also heard from someone in the know that the development of the Old Grammer School on the corner of Hales Street and the Burges is looking pretty spectacular. Have seen how much work has gone into the outside appearance of the building, but inside is every bit as good by all accounts.

Brighton Sky Blue

Living so far away as I have done since I left school means that whenever I go back I get nostalgic about things from the faded 'welcome to Coventry' at the train station to the cathedral ruins. Even the 'burgers' they do at the Colly have an appeal because it's home, and the pubs might not be as cheap as the ones in Scotland but at least I can watch England in peace!

LastGarrison

Having just come back from travelling around Asia for 6 months you realise that Cov isn't quite the shithole that people will lead you to believe.

Me and the missus spent a couple of days the other week visiting the City as a tourist and had a great couple of days.

Tad

Apart from the skydome for ice hockey, I never go near the dump. Haven't been shopping in Coventry since before Christmas (and even that was reluctantly) as it's utter crap.

This is what happens when the rubbish we have in charge of the city is allowed to carry on. Can't wait to leave.

I'd love to know why Coventry is the only place I've ever been to where whenever you go anywhere, you always find at least one idiot doing something beyond stupid.

Otis

Apart from the skydome for ice hockey, I never go near the dump. Haven't been shopping in Coventry since before Christmas (and even that was reluctantly) as it's utter crap.

This is what happens when the rubbish we have in charge of the city is allowed to carry on. Can't wait to leave.

I'd love to know why Coventry is the only place I've ever been to where whenever you go anywhere, you always find at least one idiot doing something beyond stupid.

You can't travel much then Tad, that's all I can say. I travel up and down the country regularly with my daughter and usually get to spend a number of days in many towns. Coventry is no worse than anywhere else I have seen.

Everywhere I have been I have seen idiots in all the city centres being stupid or anti-social.

Tad

You'd be wrong there. I travel all the time and almost everywhere I've been has been far superior to Coventry. Granted, there's idiots everywhere, but Coventry seems to collect far more of them.

Otis

You'd be wrong there. I travel all the time and almost everywhere I've been as been far superior to Coventry. Granted, there's idiots in everywhere, but Coventry seems to collect far more of them.

Well we will have to agree to disagree then.

In the last 6 months I have spent a number of days in Maidstone, Bedford, Reading, Northampton, Manchester, London, Luton, Guildford, Farnham, Ipswich, Rye, Hastings, Bournemouth, amongst many others and I have seen idiots in every circumstance.

Yep, some much prettier towns and cities than Coventry, but still the same sort of idiots.

Tad

Comparing places like London (or near it) or Manchester seems a bit silly. There's far more people in comparison.

Otis

Comparing places like London (or near it) or Manchester seems a bit silly. There's far more people in comparison.

Just listing many of the places I've been to, Tad, to show I've been across a lot of the country and found no discernible difference.

Astute

So if we compare the places you say we will find Coventry is the worse out of everywhere? I have lived all over England from nearly as south as you can get all the way up to where I live now. I was on the east coast before here. If you travel like you say you do you must be managing to miss the bad parts of the places you go to and only go to the bad parts of Coventry. All cities have their problems. And normally the bigger the place the bigger the problems. That is why you want to ignore Manchester. But how about Nottingham? Nice and close to home. Quite similar in size. Would you like to live in a place with their problems?

I will live anywhere. But through choice for my family I will live in as nice an area as I can find. A lot of areas with a reputation are as not as bad as they sound. But on the other hand some deserve the reputation. And it is the same in any city.

Ashdown

We rarely have any issues with Cov, although the service in places from Coventrians is a bit begrudged at times in bars and restaurants but slowly getting better and we are generally out of CV1 before 10.30pm when the idiots start swinging their arms around looking for a punch up.

NorthernWisdom

Well we will have to agree to disagree then.

In the last 6 months I have spent a number of days in Maidstone, Bedford, Reading, Northampton, Manchester, London, Luton, Guildford, Farnham, Ipswich, Rye, Hastings, Bournemouth, amongst many others and I have seen idiots in every circumstance.

Yep, some much prettier towns and cities than Coventry, but still the same sort of idiots.

Your argument would be fine if you didn't visit quite so many shitholes!

Grendel

Solihull passes the John Lewis test - Coventry passes the Primark test.

Grendel

I love Primark. The other day I got 2 very nice, 100% cotton shirts for £5 each.

I take it you are a snob. :whistle:

Maybe so but like it or not a centre is judged by the brands that inhabit it.

A demographic brands like John Lewis, Hollister and Apple stores act like a magnet for spenders with higher disposable income which in itself creates further wealth in the City.

Otis

Maybe so but like it or not a centre is judged by the brands that inhabit it.

A demographic brands like John Lewis, Hollister and Apple stores act like a magnet for spenders with higher disposable income which in itself creates further wealth in the City.

I have no idea what Hollister is. There is an Apple store though in Coventry, though rather a store devoted to selling only Apple, rather than a store run by Apple.

Can't see any difference there though.

J

Jack Griffin

I'm not eating in the city centre till they open a branch of
Los_Pollos.png

Grendel

I have no idea what Hollister is. There is an Apple store though in Coventry, though rather a store devoted to selling only Apple, rather than a store run by Apple.

Can't see any difference there though.

There is a world of difference. Apple have an envied Global strategy. It's shops are always full and their turnover in the shops is huge.

Otis

There is a world of difference. Apple have an envied Global strategy. It's shops are always full and their turnover in the shops is huge.
Well this looks a high end store and it only sells Apple.

And I know you talk of John Lewis, but I have been to some of their stores a number of times and have never bought anything.

Just like Debenhams with an extra few quid thrown on top of its prices.

Only thing I have liked about it has been the food hall.

I know a lot of people diss Coventry, but I bet hardly any of those people have set foot in Fargo Village.

Grendel

Well this looks a high end store and it only sells Apple.

And I know you talk of John Lewis, but I have been to some of their stores a number of times and have never bought anything.

Just like Debenhams with an extra few quid thrown on top of its prices.

Only thing I have liked about it has been the food hall.

I know a lot of people diss Coventry, but I bet hardly any of those people have set foot in Fargo Village.

John Lewis is the best place to buy electrical and white goods - 2 year warranty and price match

The point I am making is Coventry has a very poor offering for high end consumers. You may so "so what" but that brings trade and wealth in the City and it also brings people into the boundaries to live in it. In my office there is one person who lives in Coventry out of 11 workers - one. That one mutters under their breath they live there, Actually this is only because the centre has a total lack of appeal to that demographic and it continues to ignore these people at its peril

Lucas can build on greenbelt land all she likes but the people will not come unless the facilities and infrastructure are a lot more desirable.

Otis

John Lewis is the best place to buy electrical and white goods - 2 year warranty and price match

The point I am making is Coventry has a very poor offering for high end consumers. You may so "so what" but that brings trade and wealth in the City and it also brings people into the boundaries to live in it. In my office there is one person who lives in Coventry out of 11 workers - one. That one mutters under their breath they live there, Actually this is only because the centre has a total lack of appeal to that demographic and it continues to ignore these people at its peril

Lucas can build on greenbelt land all she likes but the people will not come unless the facilities and infrastructure are a lot more desirable.
Each and every to there own.

I love Coventry myself and I would hardly call John Lewis a high end shop.

Very surprised to hear about their 'price match,' cause I went into a John Lewis in Reading I think it was and was looking at laptops and tablets and they were all more expensive than I had seen elsewhere.

I think the retail at Friargate might well attract a higher end store. Let's wait and see.

Cathedral Lanes will be much better with the 3 restaurant chains coming.

Otis

Each and every to there own.

I love Coventry myself and I would hardly call John Lewis a high end shop.

Very surprised to hear about their 'price match,' cause I went into a John Lewis in Reading I think it was and was looking at laptops and tablets and they were all more expensive than I had seen elsewhere.

I think the retail at Friargate might well attract a higher end store. Let's wait and see.

Cathedral Lanes will be much better with the 3 restaurant chains coming.
Lol. Oddly enough, I've just this second had an email from John Lewis saying they are price matching a competitor's promotion today.

Users who are viewing this thread