What would it take? (1 Viewer)

Tonylinc

Whilst arguing with Grendull on another thread (lets face it we've all done that!) I could not help but to wonder what it would take to return us to the Prem. league? I am thinking a couple of mill. this season followed by maybe 4 mill. next. The riches for reaching that level are?

Kingokings204

Whilst arguing with Grendull on another thread (lets face it we've all done that!) I could not help but to wonder what it would take to return us to the Prem. league? I am thinking a couple of mill. this season followed by maybe 4 mill. next. The riches for reaching that level are?

Do you mean in the budget?

skyblueelephant76

Have you seen how much Championship clubs are spending? Villa spent over £20m on their new strike force alone. £4m would do nothing.

singers_pore

If you are talking about the losses that would have to be incurred, I reckon 4m should see us promoted to the Championship and then another 50-80m to get to the Premier. How much did Leicester and Cardiff spend? How much have Forest spent without being promoted? It certainly wouldn't be as cheap as you suggest which is why TF said that our "business model" couldn't work in the Championship. Maybe we will find out next season if their business model "works" in L2. I suspect not.

Kingokings204

Lets be honest; the budget can mean whatever you want it to mean ie loans, gifts etc. What I want to know is what others think that it will take in monetary terms to return us to the highest league in the land.

Well it would be more than the 6m you quoted then. Talking probably around more 40-50mil. In everything. Last time I checked that doesn't grow on trees.

Tonylinc

Well it would be more than the 6m you quoted then. Talking probably around more 40-50mil. In everything. Last time I checked that doesn't grow on trees.
And so, what are the riches for reaching that stage......£140mill?......;pretty good investment if you ask me.

Pipehitterz

Didn't Leicester spend 110 million and they're still awaiting a decision on what punishment they'll receive for breaking fair play rules.
Bournemouth too spent a decent wedge and got fined
4 million wouldn't pay for one striker, you must be living in 1995

stupot07

Leicester spent around £125m in 3 1/2 years to get out the championship.

Bournemouth spent c£50m in 3 years

It would take substantial investment to get us out of league one and into the PL. E.g the season we got relegated our turnover was £10.7m, and all 3 promoted wage bills alone were around £30m.

£4m would achieve little.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

And so, what are the riches for reaching that stage......£140mill?......;pretty good investment if you ask me.
£108m if you get relegated straight away. Its alright saying its good investment but promotion isn't guaranteed, look at the number of clubs like us, Leeds, Forrest, etc, etc who have wracked up debt yet not managed to reach the promised land.

dongonzalos

Unfortunately now unless you are the Burnley or palace or Blackpool freak.
Then you are talking 20-30 million.
The time we should have gone all out, was when we bottled it,
Now parachute payments have totally screwed us.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

£108m if you get relegated straight away. Its alright saying its good investment but promotion isn't guaranteed, look at the number of clubs like us, Leeds, Forrest, etc, etc who have wracked up debt yet not managed to reach the promised land.

I was speaking to a forest fan the other day who was telling me about a great business deal they had done.
It was bentner on 10k a week.
However he was a free transfer. So they were quite pleased that their owner could see a potential good business opportunity when it's there.!!

Grendel

When I saw you'd posted this I thought the punchline would be to make you post on a football related thread.

martcov

We ain't goin nowhere.... as it is with our structure. Break even is the target - not promotion. JS is not going to have another go after the club lost so much money and ended up getting relegated anyway. Only an outside influence will alter our prospects. There are no 2m or 4m let alone 20m or 50ms.

ccfcway

Burton played very well tonight and are holding their own in the championship. They have spent nothing on transfer fees this season.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Would have thought a return to the Championship would be a more immediate concern. Even then, it's not just hard cash though is it? 15 years without a play off place let alone automatic promotion, and a management set-up that shows no signs of changing anytime soon means we could have a long wait.

Nick

Administrator

£4million to get promoted to the prem? Honestly?

I think Forest have also spent a fair bit chasing it.

shmmeee

You're talking tens of millions to get out of the Championship these days, minimum, if not breaking 9 figures.

To get out of this league? £2-5m should do it over a season I reckon, with the right manager. With a good manager far less, a bad one far more.

rupert_bear

Get the manager right then who knows, I don't see a massive difference between us and Scunthorpe and maybe Mark Venus can form a decent side. The problem as I see it is the will of our owner to go up a division based on the simple fact League one players get league one wages and championship players get championship wages.

Gosford Green

To go up and be a promotion to the PL contender we need:
1)SISU gone.
2) A billionaire along the lines of Leicesters owners coming in.
3)A very good manager.
4) 3 years.

Leicester winning the PL last season might help the slim chance that the above might happen. Only a few years ago they were in a similar situation, so were Southampton. We have potential as Coventry a one team large city with a good stadium.

I have just woken up we are second from bottom in L1 and have Rochdale at home in front of 7000 fans.

fernandopartridge

Look at Leicester. Sunk £100m+ in. We need significant investment as we have a low turnover and poor support

Users who are viewing this thread