What was the difference from Luton to Fulham? (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Was it just the start of the game?

Complacency?

Too open?

Answers on a postcard

Porkchophill

Seemed a lot more time on the ball v Fulham .. slower controlled possession by the opposition seems to play into our hands , where as we were hunted down by Luton from the start

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just one of those nights that happens to all teams but

Luton pressed us far more than Fulham which gave us less time and space
And
The size of the Luton pitch helped them with the press. The CBS Arena gives us more space and time to play how we want to.

Paxman II

Simple answer; To a man everyone played badly for some reason at Luton. Every kick, pass, clearance just didn't work. It happens. Won't happen again this season.

NortonSkyBlue

Simple answer; To a man everyone played badly for some reason at Luton. Every kick, pass, clearance just didn't work. It happens. Won't happen again this season.
Yes it will, its a long season. All teams are going to get beaten by teams they would be expected to beat.

Martin180

Kenilworth Road is a horrible ground for any away side to play , was never going to suit our expansive game in hindsight . We won’t be the last side to get turned over there

skybluegod

Poor start that just snowballed. If we had just shut up shop for 10/15 minutes after the penalty and calmed down it could have been so different. Think it was just a case of a lack of experience in how to deal with such a high tempo start and press from Luton. Needed the experienced heads to take the game by the scruff of the neck but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

And Robins said it himself we started to chase the game way too early rather than sticking with the game plan. It's a good learning point for the players.

As said at the the time Luton were excellent in their execution of their game plan.

derbyskyblue

Fooked if i know. Both performances were like chalk and cheese.
I did have a worry of getting a tonking of Fulham and maybe wheels are coming off etc....shows how much i know.

Winny the Bish

Momentum.

Against Luton we had none thanks to the early penalty. We had to chase the game, which led to sloppy passing and needing to be more attacking left us wide open.

Against Fulham we had all of it in the 2nd half. Gifted a goal in the first two minutes, then a soft penalty and Fulham were losing before they could even say 'where are my prawn sandwiches'.

Frostie

Momentum.

Against Luton we had none thanks to the early penalty. We had to chase the game, which led to sloppy passing and needing to be more attacking left us wide open.

Against Fulham we had all of it in the 2nd half. Gifted a goal in the first two minutes, then a soft penalty and Fulham were losing before they could even say 'where are my prawn sandwiches'.

I think you'll find it was "Where's my Victoria Sponge?"

Brighton Sky Blue

Except perhaps Bournemouth away, generally when we concede early we fold easily. As MR said perhaps that's then down to just thinking 'we need to chase the game now' and not calmly sticking to the plan with effectively a whole game still to play.

Sky Blue Pete

Except perhaps Bournemouth away, generally when we concede early we fold easily. As MR said perhaps that's then down to just thinking 'we need to chase the game now' and not calmly sticking to the plan with effectively a whole game still to play.
I heard him say that but not sure I’d agree we chased the game

Esoterica

The Robins way for most of his 2nd time here now has generally been to keep things tight in the first half and then go for it when the game opens up in the 2nd half of games. I think part of the reason that has worked so well at home is the away team 'a point away from home is a good result' mentality - they're 1-0 up away from home, let's see the game out.

13 of our 14 goals in 6 home matches have been in the 2nd half of the game:
1633533167843.png

In those 6 home games we've turned around 3 halftime deficits to win those matches - 6 wins and we've only been winning at HT in 1 home game (Cardiff):
1633532943437.png

If you compare that to away goal times the contrast is incredible.
13 goals in 6 second halves at home
vs
0 goals in 5 second halves away:
1633533410837.png

We seem much fitter this year as a team but it can't be solely about that, as we're evidently not wearing teams down away from home given we haven't scored in the 2nd half and have continued to concede.

Robins alluded to it himself when he suggested we need a different approach away from home. Teams will come at you harder at home, encouraged by their own fans. Teams want to win their home games, put teams to bed and they won't 'settle for a draw'. Luton was an extreme example of that, they just kept attacking and attacking.

At home we catch teams out with pacey counter attacks but I wouldn't be surprised to see the return of the box midfield in our next away game, to try and take the control away from home teams in the midfield so we can dictate the game more.

Warwickhunt

I heard him say that but not sure I’d agree we chased the game
he meant some chased the game and some didnt hence the reason our defence went from a flat line of 4 to a broken line of 4
and Salter-Clarke was out of line with the other 3 and subsequently left their player on their right side room to cross the ball in for the second!

robbiekeane

The Robins way for most of his 2nd time here now has generally been to keep things tight in the first half and then go for it when the game opens up in the 2nd half of games. I think part of the reason that has worked so well at home is the away team 'a point away from home is a good result' mentality - they're 1-0 up away from home, let's see the game out.

13 of our 14 goals in 6 home matches have been in the 2nd half of the game:
View attachment 22131

In those 6 home games we've turned around 3 halftime deficits to win those matches - 6 wins and we've only been winning at HT in 1 home game (Cardiff):
View attachment 22130

If you compare that to away goal times the contrast is incredible.
13 goals in 6 second halves at home
vs
0 goals in 5 second halves away:
View attachment 22132

We seem much fitter this year as a team but it can't be solely about that, as we're evidently not wearing teams down away from home given we haven't scored in the 2nd half and have continued to concede.

Robins alluded to it himself when he suggested we need a different approach away from home. Teams will come at you harder at home, encouraged by their own fans. Teams want to win their home games, put teams to bed and they won't 'settle for a draw'. Luton was an extreme example of that, they just kept attacking and attacking.

At home we catch teams out with pacey counter attacks but I wouldn't be surprised to see the return of the box midfield in our next away game, to try and take the control away from home teams in the midfield so we can dictate the game more.
Thanks, what site is this from?

Users who are viewing this thread