What the Ricoh has done for Coventry (1 Viewer)

Skybluecj

As a fan off CCFC I think moving to the Ricoh has crippled us, yes highfield rd was looking old, but it had character and we owned it, it made money, infact maybe we could be promoted to premier league if we waited it out at highfield rd.

But as a Coventry kid, born and bred, the Ricoh has brought a lot to this city, concerts off big names on our doorsteps, Olympics, rugby world cup (maybe in 2015) and U21 England squad. The stadium it self has a great reputation and we would never had all that at the old ground.

So.. Why couldn't we just have had both in the city and just moved when we were in a better financial position?

Ashdown1

If we had owners who didn't do ridiculous things like put David I dont play Bell on stupid 250k per year contracts then this dispute wouldn't be happening. SISU have made one costly mistake after another. With the cuts they have made and players sold, they should be at least breaking even now if not making a small profit. We've had 5 extra home games already plus Arsenal and Spurs away....Kerching. Crowds will grow now as we climb the table.................Problem is these greedy schemers only came here for a slice of CV6, a quick buck and then they'd have been gone but it went bad ways on them.

Black6Osprey

So.. Why couldn't we just have had both in the city and just moved when we were in a better financial position?

In hindsight that position would probably never have arisen.

In its simplest form the idea was to buy land, sell land, sell highfield Rd and build ground from the profit. Sounded good at the time.

Getting relegated followed by TV deal collapse in the championship killed it and the gamble now looks a very bad decision.

I disagree that the stadium has done a lot for the City. How many of these great events have you been to?

I also think the only reason the council stepped in to "help" was to get their greedy mits on a slice of real estate in CV6. They are all as bad as each other.

Gynnsthetonic

The Ricoh
Same as about 10 other bowl arenas i can think of, Derby Leicester Southampton Middlesboro
Too far out of town
Stands behind goals to far away
Shit atmosphere
Don`t own
Highfield Rd
We had plans in place mid 90`s to replace the Sky Blue Stand with a new main stand
Could of bought land behind East Stand (cov heating & plumbing)
Could of had a neat and tidy 28000 stadium which we owned
Easily accessable
Loads of pubs and near to town

skybluedaze

The whole situation is a big old mess and i get the feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better. Sad thing is that i think the Ricoh has the potential to be a great home, but that will only happen when the finances improve (where's the Knight in shining armour?!?!?) and people stop linking the stadium to the clubs recent demise. Both of which is asking a lot.

hutch1972

In hindsight that position would probably never have arisen.

In its simplest form the idea was to buy land, sell land, sell highfield Rd and build ground from the profit. Sounded good at the time.

Getting relegated followed by TV deal collapse in the championship killed it and the gamble now looks a very bad decision.

I disagree that the stadium has done a lot for the City. How many of these great events have you been to?

I also think the only reason the council stepped in to "help" was to get their greedy mits on a slice of real estate in CV6. They are all as bad as each other.

If ccfc had not decided to move then cv6 would still have gas towers standing and the area a barren wasteland . Cov council would never in a million years have had the enterprise to develop the area. When they decided to help it went through by 1 vote and only after the club had spent 20 mill decontaminating the area.
Legally we dont own the stadium but morally it belongs ,not to the council ,acl or the higgs but ccfc. It seems a crying shame that the very people that had the idea in the first place should end up with nothing.
If anything Mutton and his freeloading members of the council should be thanking the club for doing their job for them and not trying to rip them off using "tax payers money" as an excuse.

Moscowskyblue

If we had owners who didn't do ridiculous things like put David I dont play Bell on stupid 250k per year contracts then this dispute wouldn't be happening. SISU have made one costly mistake after another. With the cuts they have made and players sold, they should be at least breaking even now if not making a small profit. We've had 5 extra home games already plus Arsenal and Spurs away....Kerching. Crowds will grow now as we climb the table.................Problem is these greedy schemers only came here for a slice of CV6, a quick buck and then they'd have been gone but it went bad ways on them.
I wonder sometimes how the braiin of a football fan works..".david bell was offered the contract as he was considered the right man for job, a fee was paid or not, he got injured, he cant play, he can't get back to the level that he was at playing for Norwich. He is doing nothing wrong, nor is the club. It is sport with human beings, they break down. Blame game everywhere. What if bell had turned out to a great player, what if he was a valued player that clubs were trying to buy. If he wanted to go you would be accusing him of disloyalty giving him the dion Dublin treatment. Shaking my head in bemusement

Waldorf

If ccfc had not decided to move then cv6 would still have gas towers standing and the area a barren wasteland . Cov council would never in a million years have had the enterprise to develop the area. When they decided to help it went through by 1 vote and only after the club had spent 20 mill decontaminating the area.
Legally we dont own the stadium but morally it belongs ,not to the council ,acl or the higgs but ccfc. It seems a crying shame that the very people that had the idea in the first place should end up with nothing.
If anything Mutton and his freeloading members of the council should be thanking the club for doing their job for them and not trying to rip them off using "tax payers money" as an excuse.
it was the council who suggested the gasworks site when it became clear that Highfield Rd could never be enlarged. It was the council who put together the deal that built the Arena when Richardson's business plan collapsed.
Oh, and the club put £3m in to decontaminate the land, no £20m. Where would Richardson get £20m from?

chiefdave

And made 15,000 City supporters as miserable as hell.

Surely 3000 people dont work at the Ricoh Arena? Aren't they all stacking shelves at Tesco?

I would guess the 3,000 people is a number for the whole arena complex (including the retail park) and includes part time and casual workers. The figure you really need is the number of full times job just at the arena itself and you'd need to deduct from that the number of jobs there were at Highfield Road to get a net increase. That number is probably not so impressive.

Ashdown1

I wonder sometimes how the braiin of a football fan works..".david bell was offered the contract as he was considered the right man for job, a fee was paid or not, he got injured, he cant play, he can't get back to the level that he was at playing for Norwich. He is doing nothing wrong, nor is the club. It is sport with human beings, they break down. Blame game everywhere. What if bell had turned out to a great player, what if he was a valued player that clubs were trying to buy. If he wanted to go you would be accusing him of disloyalty giving him the dion Dublin treatment. Shaking my head in bemusement

What a pathetic post.............David Bell has never been a great footballer and has always been beset with injury problems, it was an appalling move by the idiots in charge yet again.

procdoc

The Ricoh will be bringing the greatest live performer ever to the city of Coventry so that's worth the cost of building it and running it alone!;)

torchomatic

Rick Astley?! :eek:

The Ricoh will be bringing the greatest live performer ever to the city of Coventry so that's worth the cost of building it and running it alone!;)

Moscowskyblue

What a pathetic post.............David Bell has never been a great footballer and has always been beset with injury problems, it was an appalling move by the idiots in charge yet again.
where does he say he was a great player, cretins like you play the blame game all the time, judgemental to the detriment of the facts..... it has turned out to be a bad move but the move was taken in good faith. Nobody is to blame and why on earth should David Bell or the club be blamed is beyond me...........shit happens.

SkyBlueUkeman

The opportunity was the when we were relegated. However, Mike McGinnity owned a company which had the contract for fitting the seats at the Ricoh. Therefore, if we had delayed it any longer, he would have had to delay his riches. He and others on the board put their own financial gains before the welfare of the club and their fans. So, we carried on regardless and at haste.

The irony being that a lot of the seats had to be replaced before we even got into the stadium, due to them being shoddy and failing Safety regulations.

It's a hard one for me. So of my best memories were at highfield road as a Cov fan, but also seeing Oasis and other bands at the Ricoh would never have happened if we hadn't have moved.

For concerts anyway, the Ricoh is a great venue with excellent acoustics, with even top bands like Kings of Leon saying so. Just get a train station there and we'd be laughing.

lordsummerisle

where does he say he was a great player, cretins like you play the blame game all the time, judgemental to the detriment of the facts..... it has turned out to be a bad move but the move was taken in good faith. Nobody is to blame and why on earth should David Bell or the club be blamed is beyond me...........shit happens.

Should never have been given an extension to his contract last year after 3 years of being injury prone and poor.

Ashdown1

Quite, Bell has been appalling value and if the poster defending him would like to look at his past record pre CCFC he would see that he has always been injury prone and prone to spells of abject cowardice on the field of play. He may have a few tricks with the ball but in truth he has been almost as effective as Julian Gray.
SISU's employees decisions to give contracts to the likes could have paid the annual rent twice over

CCFC Germany

I'd never understood why they teared down HR, anyway.
Cov's situation is similar to Fortuna Duesseldorf's one with their ground in my hometown.

First off, the guy that signed this mental rental deal in the name of CCFC should be kicked in the balls, no one else.

I'm sorry, but Coventry is not a big city compared to Birmingham or London - so if CCFC will not be using Ricoh on a regular basis anymore, who will be there to use the Ricoh ?
You won't be getting a Bruce Springsteen or Madonna to Coventry to fill it any month.
I'm pretty sure ACL will go bust as well if we stop playing there.
This must + can be used against them, somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread