What Sporting Event Would You Choose ? (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I went on the Sunday - big Yankees fan! Apparently both teams used the “white seat” excuse for catching.

On top of this, they were complaining about the outfield, the fake turf was quick. Players didn’t run at full pelt to avoid injuries

Aren't most of Wembley's seats red though?

I thought they might've complained about the space between the foul lines and the edge of the playing area - it looked much bigger than usual.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The only impact that could’ve had would be less hits and less runs. Clearly not the case.

Unless they managed to hit it in bounds before it went past the base, at which point the ball is still in play and they can run. They brought the foul lines in to counteract the slightly smaller outfield but it didn't seem to work.

It seemed to me that the LF, CF and RF were more spread out than usual so the two outer ones could cover the extra space beyond the foul lines which left gaps for the ball to run into. Might be wrong but that's how it appeared to me. There didn't seem to be that many fly balls and a lot of hits made it past the basemen and short-stop into the outfield.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Unless they managed to hit it in bounds before it went past the base, at which point the ball is still in play and they can run. They brought the foul lines in to counteract the slightly smaller outfield but it didn't seem to work.

It seemed to me that the LF, CF and RF were more spread out than usual so the two outer ones could cover the extra space beyond the foul lines which left gaps for the ball to run into. Might be wrong but that's how it appeared to me. There didn't seem to be that many fly balls and a lot of hits made it past the basemen and short-stop into the outfield.
I thought it was very wide. Noticed the gap between right field and 1st base was massive. A lot of balls dropped between them.

All in all a good advert for the game, I’ve been lucky enough to go to both Yankee stadiums, The Rodgers Centre and Dodger stadium.

Very much my joint second sport with Cricket

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Only visited old Yankee stadium - was falling apart pretty much - during construction of the new one. Also done the Rogers Centre and Wrigley Field. Really liked the Wrigley tour - it was really friendly and hence why I adopted the Cubs as my team - and so was Rogers. Yankee stadium it felt like we were an inconvenience to them and they just wanted to get us into the shop at the end to buy stuff.

Been to look at, but not been in, Shea Stadium (again during construction of the new one) and White Sox stadium (think it was called US Cellular Field at the time). At some point I intend to visit Fenway but Washington is next on the list of US places to visit (and I'm refusing to go back until Trump is gone).

CanadianCCFC

I didn’t watch any of it but there’s no way they moved the foul lines.
Outfielders being spread out is a good point but the extra space for foul pop ups to be caught is always a greater factor, it’s the same idea although possibly not quite to the same level in Oakland.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I didn’t watch any of it but there’s no way they moved the foul lines.
Outfielders being spread out is a good point but the extra space for foul pop ups to be caught is always a greater factor, it’s the same idea although possibly not quite to the same level in Oakland.

I didn't think they'd be allowed to alter the diamond but I swear I read that's what they'd done - must have misread it. Maybe they just meant it looked like they had due to the huge foul area.

CanadianCCFC

I didn't think they'd be allowed to alter the diamond but I swear I read that's what they'd done - must have misread it. Maybe they just meant it looked like they had due to the huge foul area.
They didn’t.
Something about white seats making the outfield a tough job, I can understand that. The outfield dimensions were definitely on the smaller side.

Users who are viewing this thread