What kind of punishment are we facing? (1 Viewer)

ms639

Statement from the EFL below, anybody know what kind of ramifications there might be?

“The primary objective for the EFL is to get Coventry City playing at the CBS Arena as soon as the pitch is in a safe condition for the participants. It is only then that the League will consider the collective circumstances of each postponement before determining what course of action could be taken in accordance with the Regulations”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProfessorbyGrace

Statement from the EFL below, anybody know what kind of ramifications there might be?

“The primary objective for the EFL is to get Coventry City playing at the CBS Arena as soon as the pitch is in a safe condition for the participants. It is only then that the League will consider the collective circumstances of each postponement before determining what course of action could be taken in accordance with the Regulations”

This “collective circumstances” part is a bit ominously vague, however, can we as a club be legally punished by the EFL over a pitch that was shredded and not replaced by Wasps? Liability and responsibility, and all that jazz.
This is an exceptional situation, with us not owning the stadium etc, and the pitch situation being out of our hands, so I’d imagine the EFL will have to consider these factors carefully before meting out punishment.

Happy_Martian

This “collective circumstances” part is a bit ominously vague, however, can we as a club be legally punished by the EFL over a pitch that was shredded and not replaced by Wasps? Liability and responsibility, and all that jazz…

Could simply be that, noting the Wasps part in the crisis, they'll also look at how culpable we were. When did we know the pitch was bad ? What did we do to ensure the games went ahead. After the first postponement, how did we respond to prevent the next game being called off etc. If all we've got to say for ourselves was "We complained to our landlords", the EFL may not take that with acceptance.

Paxman II

EFL speak for BS. There is no way they can impose a fine after agreeing the pitch is unsafe and not forcing CCFC to play on it. CCFC have been in constant contact with the EFL over this as I understand it, and would not have taken the risk of fines or other inpositions if the EFL had warned them it was a possibility?

Paxman II

Could simply be that, noting the Wasps part in the crisis, they'll also look at how culpable we were. When did we know the pitch was bad ? What did we do to ensure the games went ahead. After the first postponement, how did we respond to prevent the next game being called off etc. If all we've got to say for ourselves was "We complained to our landlords", the EFL may not take that with acceptance.

This would be true but CCFC have been in constant contact with the EFL during the process.

SBT

I'm curious as to why the EFL wants to wait until we're back at the CBS before deciding a punishment. "Collective cirumcstances" suggests to me they're not convinced this has been resolved.

AOM

I'm guessing a fine rather than points deduction.
If that's the case will Wasps be liable to pay it as landlords? Surely the EFL could see it was out of hands?

JulianDarbyFTW

A points deduction might be another nail in our coffin. Some fair-weather fans won't turn up if we're at minus points already - they'll see the season as a write-off - which will impact on gate receipts and hit our already fragile finances. The optimism many felt has been stripped away by all of this.

rexo87

As a few have said think it'll be suspended for a couple of seasons so as long as it is actually sorted we will be ok

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

SAJ

Shouldn’t be any penalty realistically. Regulation 32.3 of their rules effectively states if it’s beyond our control nothing will happen. Boddy will though have to ensure he has sufficient evidence so they can’t use Reg 32.3 can’t be used to mitigate against that.

fatso

I'm curious as to why the EFL wants to wait until we're back at the CBS before deciding a punishment. "Collective cirumcstances" suggests to me they're not convinced this has been resolved.
I suppose they will wait and see exactly how many games are postponed until they decide the severity of any punishment.

Hopefully a hefty fine will follow, which we can sue wasps for.

New owners might influence the FL as well.

Skybluecol

A friend of mine (admittedly a forest fan) thinks it could be a 3 point deduction per game, but not the first game

That friend of yours needs to give his head a good wobble!!

A small fine, worse case imo, with a heavier punishment being suspended for a year or 2.

Count down to the 31st, not been this excited since Gyokeres' equaliser against Blackburn! PUSB!!

SeaSeeEffCee

Don’t think we’d have much of an argument against a points deduction if the EFL decided to give us one. We don’t appear to have been particularly proactive in preventing this issue, and I’m not sure they’ll be overly arsed about whether it was Wasps fault or our own. All they’ll care about it is not playing matches and whether we did absoutely everything we could to get them on. Others in this thread are right that if it was any other team in the league we’d all probably be demanding harsh penalties.

Seamus1

I thought the club approached the EFL to request the matches be reversed, yet the EFL denied this request (did we not have the first number of matches reversed in our first season at the Ricoh?). I find it rather callous of the EFL to impose any form of punishment if they are the ones who blocked a potential solution. I’d also be annoyed if they impose any penalty on us, considering nothing was done to Rotherham United when they obviously could not follow Covid rules (especially when some of their best players were injured)!

If the club do get any fine I hope they demand Wasps and Birmingham 2022 pay for it. Yes, the Commonwealth Games paid to use the pitch, but as far as I’m concerned, I pay to rent my flat and when I cease tenancy expect to pay for any damage or for it to come out of my deposit. The Games did not leave the pitch in any sort of playable condition, even after the 14th August date which Wasps have been banging on about. Just my opinion.

From what I can see, we have already been fined by missing out on a potential 20k plus gate for a weekend game against Rotherham, when the fixture will likely be rearranged for a midweek with a much lower attendance. Can imagine around £100k in ticket revenue being lost thanks to the state of the pitch

wingy

I thought the club approached the EFL to request the matches be reversed, yet the EFL denied this request (did we not have the first number of matches reversed in our first season at the Ricoh?). I find it rather callous of the EFL to impose any form of punishment if they are the ones who blocked a potential solution. I’d also be annoyed if they impose any penalty on us, considering nothing was done to Rotherham United when they obviously could not follow Covid rules (especially when some of their best players were injured)!

If the club do get any fine I hope they demand Wasps and Birmingham 2022 pay for it. Yes, the Commonwealth Games paid to use the pitch, but as far as I’m concerned, I pay to rent my flat and when I cease tenancy expect to pay for any damage or for it to come out of my deposit. The Games did not leave the pitch in any sort of playable condition, even after the 14th August date which Wasps have been banging on about. Just my opinion.
Yeah I thought the initial part had been mentioned somewhere.

slowpoke

The question is have CCFC broken any rules, I would say regarding the Wigan & Huddersfield matches no as they were called off by the EFL by their appointed experts on safety grounds, so that leaves the Rotherham game where the decision to call the game off was very late that could be crucial.

Sick Boy

I reckon we’ll get a 3 point deduction for the Rotherham game and suspended for the others plus a fine.

Colin Steins Smile

Who, the EFL?

It was them and the refs who we waited on to have the pitch inspection.

It wasn't that CCFC thought, "Let's wait as long as we can"
The stadium was still under control of the CWGs. Hence access was restricted.
The UK government has an agenda to attract major international events to the UK. DCMS will not be happy if the EFL punish a city for the impact of staging an event.
The Crouch report is under consideration, so EFL will need to be careful not to upset the DCMS

cornoccfc

Suspended points deduction to prevent (or deter) the farce happening again should be suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread