What I was told today (1 Viewer)

Gibbo

Exactly. Who wouldn't want success for their club?

If we just stayed in the Championship, flirted with the playoffs and had one or two seasons where we flirted with relegation, that's failure isnt it? Certainly isn't success.

With the size of the city and the crowds we get, we should always be aiming to be as high up in the leagues as we possibly can.

And I would love to be like Norwich. A yo yo club for sure, but now every time they come down, there is always an expectancy to go back up again and they nearly always have a very successful season then back in the Championship.

I do find it bizarre that people wouldn't want us to go up. 🤷
The choice:

Championship - three options- flirting with promotion, mid table safety or flirting with relegation. 2/3 are ok

Premiership: Every single season a grind to stay up, hanging on to the memory of the very occaisional brilliant victory (see above), but otherwise being regularly hammered and by large figures - 4-0, 3-0. (see Southampton). SBT in ultra-meltdown every single day of every season. Frankly I was glad when we were relegated last time. I was sick of it.

The standard in the Championship is very high, higher than the Prem the last time we were in it I venture. If the SuperLeague comes, which it surely will, then I wouldn't mind promotion as at least we could be reasonably competitive

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last five years, brought back memories of the 60's under JH (I was there). The late 70's with Yorath, Wallace, Fergusson etc was the last time I enjoyed a sustained period in the club's history so much. 1987 was a bit of a one-off to be honest.

Grendel

I've got mixed feelings about the PL, I hate the modern fan and the sanitised experience but also do like a good standard of football

We would struggle to survive but to me the 28 years of top flight versus 20 years of just decline it would be good to have at least one campaign in it again.

It’s different yea but there’s still some rubbish teams in there

SkyBlueSam01

Fair point SBS01 but after being thumped 3 and 4 and sometimes 5 away regularly year in year out and wondering where the next point was coming from when we were in the top flight, it ceased to be enjoyable.

I was treated to a ticket to the Stoke v Tottenham game in April 2018 it was first time I'd watched a live Premier game since we were relegated in 2001. I was struck by the speed strength athleticism and skill, it was awesome and thought how, if we ever reached the dizzy heights again, we'd seriously struggle.

Nah tbf I do sympathise, and I was too young to really appreciate what it was like being small fish in the prem, but I just feel its difficult to reconcile being a football fan but effectively not wanting to win every game! I realise that isn't quite what the argument is but that's what it would mean in many ways!

The prem has become a bloated, Americanised, corporate monster but O just feel you have to want as much success as possible whilst retaining your identity... Otherwise there's too much cognitive dissonance to actually enjoy it!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

When we were last in the Premiership I haven’t looked but I bet Brentford were in division four and classed as football minnows, today they beat multi football millionaires Manchester City with their 100 million quid reserves 2-1 away.
Need I say more about the division to be in.
At the other end of things Division 2 them days (2001/2)10 teams no longer play in the football league.Small margins between success and failure.It's what makes it such a great game

fernandopartridge

We would struggle to survive but to me the 28 years of top flight versus 20 years of just decline it would be good to have at least one campaign in it again.

It’s different yea but there’s still some rubbish teams in there
You look at Brentford (yes they've spent money) and Brighton and think it isn't unassailable

covcity4life

When we were last in the Premiership I haven’t looked but I bet Brentford were in division four and classed as football minnows, today they beat multi football millionaires Manchester City with their 100 million quid reserves 2-1 away.
Need I say more about the division to be in.
Exactly. No one knows when fortunes change. Maybe we get state owners and become the next psg. You just never know. Got to always aim high

Just realised someone is now going to msg and say don't want to be psg lol

nicksig

One thing I don’t understand is why they would sell Hamer if Ashley is going to buy the club? Surely he would want the strongest team possible as promotion would be his short term aim?

stay_up_skyblues

How much did Forest spend after they got promoted? .. only to get 2 wins from 14, score 10 and ship 30 so far.

Granted, they’re only 14 games in.. but they’ve been beaten at home by Bournemouth and Fulham (hardly fucking exciting) and spanked by Man City, Arsenal and even Leicester. Do you think ‘getting to see Haaland score a hat trick’ made it better?

Beating Liverpool 1-0 must’ve been fucking great (some of us know that feeling) but it doesn’t erase the depressing prospect of a season spent in the bottom three and subsequent relegation. I’m not saying I don’t want to be back in the Premiership, I just would want to be competitive, not a yo-yo club getting relegated every other season.

Probably a poor example as they signed an entire new squad and it will take half a season to even get close to gelling them. In the almost impossible scenario that we did get up I‘d hope we had a go with maybe four or five signings. Without doing any research, I think the teams that do stay up first season tend to keep a similar first team.

slowpoke

Think Forest have signed 23 players, unbelievable really but they are starting to win games and are now only a point below fourth spot.

But another thing if they do slip back into the championship they could be in a good position to get straight back in.

stay_up_skyblues

Think Forest have signed 23 players, unbelievable really but they are starting to win games and are now only a point below fourth spot.

But another thing if they do slip back into the championship they could be in a good position to get straight back in.

Yeah. Or go bust 🤣

itsabuzzard

Never mind that! Where the fuckhave you been m8??
Umbrage was obviously taken by some at my well-intentioned efforts to help with grammar, and I was whisked off to a re-education facility, where I was given the Randall McMurphy treatment. So, you'll have no more bother from me on that front. I'm just hoping they won't send Chief Broom along, just yet.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

usskyblue

Umbrage was obviously taken by some at my well-intentioned efforts to help with grammar, and I was whisked off to a re-education facility, where I was given the Randall McMurphy treatment. So, you'll have no more bother from me on that front. I'm just hoping they won't send Chief Broom along, just yet.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Fuckem all

Glad you’re back m8

stevefloyd

Nah tbf I do sympathise, and I was too young to really appreciate what it was like being small fish in the prem, but I just feel its difficult to reconcile being a football fan but effectively not wanting to win every game! I realise that isn't quite what the argument is but that's what it would mean in many ways!

The prem has become a bloated, Americanised, corporate monster but O just feel you have to want as much success as possible whilst retaining your identity... Otherwise there's too much cognitive dissonance to actually enjoy it!
You been eating alphabet spaghetti

Flying Fokker

The choice:

Championship - three options- flirting with promotion, mid table safety or flirting with relegation. 2/3 are ok

Premiership: Every single season a grind to stay up, hanging on to the memory of the very occaisional brilliant victory (see above), but otherwise being regularly hammered and by large figures - 4-0, 3-0. (see Southampton). SBT in ultra-meltdown every single day of every season. Frankly I was glad when we were relegated last time. I was sick of it.

The standard in the Championship is very high, higher than the Prem the last time we were in it I venture. If the SuperLeague comes, which it surely will, then I wouldn't mind promotion as at least we could be reasonably competitive

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last five years, brought back memories of the 60's under JH (I was there). The late 70's with Yorath, Wallace, Fergusson etc was the last time I enjoyed a sustained period in the club's history so much. 1987 was a bit of a one-off to be honest.
I’
How much did Forest spend after they got promoted? .. only to get 2 wins from 14, score 10 and ship 30 so far.

Granted, they’re only 14 games in.. but they’ve been beaten at home by Bournemouth and Fulham (hardly fucking exciting) and spanked by Man City, Arsenal and even Leicester. Do you think ‘getting to see Haaland score a hat trick’ made it better?

Beating Liverpool 1-0 must’ve been fucking great (some of us know that feeling) but it doesn’t erase the depressing prospect of a season spent in the bottom three and subsequent relegation. I’m not saying I don’t want to be back in the Premiership, I just would want to be competitive, not a yo-yo club getting relegated every other season.

So how come Brighton, Palace and West Ham are surviving? I’m not sure I want to see city struggle. Plus we will be charged more to see it. As suggested, if a super league is formed it will offer some hope. Get rid of spurs, Newcastle, pool, Manchester, ars and there is the possibility the league would be ok For us.

Flying Fokker

The thing is, there is always the dream of getting a result.

slowpoke

I’

So how come Brighton, Palace and West Ham are surviving? I’m not sure I want to see city struggle. Plus we will be charged more to see it. As suggested, if a super league is formed it will offer some hope. Get rid of spurs, Newcastle, pool, Manchester, ars and there is the possibility the league would be ok For us.
Without those clubs the Premiership won’t be a lot different to the championship will it. We have in the prem now teams in the bottom half looking nervously over their shoulders lose three on the trot and the manager could get the sack. I reckon Frank Lampard & David Moyes are on thin ice at the moment.
Will depend what happens to the tv money which I believe is up for renegotiation soon. perhaps the big attraction to big Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread