What does this club mean to you? (2 Viewers)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Fuck it, I'll cave and get involved. I try and deny it, but this stupid fucking football club controls my emotions.

I've seen my Dad dip into the deepest depressions which have always coincided with the City being shit, I try to stop myself from it taking me as much as its taken him. Supporting the City is the bond that I share with him and its created hundreds of memories that will last a lifetime.

It means so much to him and at times I've only been going because of how special it is to him, I'm blessed that I've experienced every division of football with him, he's 74 now, I'd fucking love it if he could experience the top flight again.

Long story short, I was born into this shit, once you are there's no getting out.

Once a Sky Blue always a Sky Blue, 💙 CCFC forever.

Saddlebrains

Bit gay but mine is family tradition

My grandad started going regularly ever since football restarted after WW2 as a young boy

He then started taking my mum from the early 70s onwards. They both took me to my first game, Boxing day 99 v Arsenal we all know how that went 😍. I fell in love at that moment. The lights, the green pitch, the noise, the smell everything about it. It helped growing up just off Ball Hill and hearing the songs if i couldnt go

My grandad passed in 2001, and my mum and me carried it on, through them shitty post prem years

Unfortunately my mum then passed suddenly in 2006 (didnt know my dad he fucked off when i was 2) and I always promised myself I would carry on the CCFC bloodline so to speak

My son is 14, been taking him regularly since 2015, and my daughter is 9 and she started going regularly from the St Andrews season. They both have ST'S now and they know all the songs, are passionate at games (sometimes too much 😂) and its our time, our thing that we always have.

I looked at them going mental yesterday after the Milan goal, and felt a bit emotional, wondering if this is how my mum felt on that day watching me when I saw Robbie Keane lob Seaman and he became my hero.

When the day comes that I am no longer here i am certain my 2 will carry it on and with their children 2 , making it a good 100 years by then of CCFC support from us

NortonSkyBlue

Days like yesterday live forever in your soul. Nearly 60 years of the joy and pain that comes with following Coventry City, I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

No Club means, some people wouldn't have anything to moan about. 😲

Yank

As good a place as any. And will just post updates about the below in this thread, no reason to start another one:

As earlier in the thread, myself and some other USA based fans have started a USA Supporters page on Twitter and have gotten some really good feedback so far(Over 150 followers already). While most of those followers are from the UK, a decent amount of USA based ones as well which is great, @USASkyBlues if you want to follow us yourself.

Also, have started a WhatsApp group for members in the USA or whoever else wants to join; if interested, just send me a PM here and will give you the invite link.

Thanks!

Old Warwickshire lad

Dad bought me up on a cold November night in 1962 when I was 7 .
Beat Milwall 2-1. in fa cup replay.
Remember it like it was yesterday 😂. Sat in main stand behind directors box.
Half time mug of tea in enamel mug with chips all over it, and a pie in a paper bag seemed bigger en me.
Sitting on a bench so me feet didn’t touch the floor, and city scored before I could finish me tea,and all the men jumped up to applaud. And yes you guessed it, I bounced up kin tea everywhere, what was left of pie gone.
Happy memories. Still carnt listen to “Telstar” ( you young uns won’t know what that song is) without thinking of that night.

skyblue_55

Very sadly , I never went to a game with my old dad …. God bless him , but he loved the city & we always got a ‘ pink ‘ dropped off on a Saturday night ….. what a great paper that was !
I’m as skyblue as everyone on here & just got my lad through the 92 watching with me & he’s only done a few prem ..!
The feeling you get , either going with dad , mum , sister etc etc mine with my lad ……
You feel so proud & never want it to end
CTID

I wasn't born in Cov but my old man moved there in the early 90s to work in one of the car factories so I grew up in Wood End. Going up Highfield Road with my dad was the highlight of my weeks.

He was pals with a fella who became head steward so a couple of times I got to go behind the scenes and meet players like Gary McAllister, Keane, Hadji & Chippo. I was awestruck!

I moved back home to Scotland years ago but once you've picked your team that's it. I went a couple Hibs games but it's not the same as watching my beloved Sky Blues.

ovduk78

I wasn't born in Cov but my old man moved there in the early 90s to work in one of the car factories so I grew up in Wood End. Going up Highfield Road with my dad was the highlight of my weeks.

He was pals with a fella who became head steward so a couple of times I got to go behind the scenes and meet players like Gary McAllister, Keane, Hadji & Chippo. I was awestruck!

I moved back home to Scotland years ago but once you've picked your team that's it. I went a couple Hibs games but it's not the same as watching my beloved Sky Blues.
Where are you in Scotland?

Skyblueweeman

Interesting reading all the comments on here. One of the early ones saying about 25k being on the same side every other week. I slightly disagree - there's 25k on the same side every other week at the CBS - there's thousands globally also on the same side - we just can't be heard!

CCFC has a different meaning to me than most - purely because I wasn't born in Cov and have never lived there. My mum met my step dad when I was 4yrs old and living in N.Ireland. His family are from Kenilworth where I have since spent a fair amount of time, particularly growing up. As he was the male, father figure in my life and a Sky Blue, I ended up following Cov ever since. And I can't be more happy that I did.

Whilst I don't have the local emotional connection that the majority of you have, I do still have a strong emotional connection. I don't get to many games for a number of reasons but think that I've averaged 2-5 per season since the early 90s. Slightly less these days. I think I've seen us away at something like 17 grounds and fondly remember my first game at HR back in 88.

I've seen some comments recently about plastic fans - please can we drop that? Clubs like ours can do with every single fan we can get. Whether we spend thousands a year following the club up or down or whether we've never seen the club live and watch everything on t'interweb - and everyone in between - we all want 3 points on a Saturday afternoon.

I love this club and my emotional attachment means I'm proper gutted when we lose or on such a high like I was after Saturdays game. Since starting my business 3 and 1/2 years ago, I've been fortunate enough to work closely with the team and have felt privileged doing so.

Just because I wasn't born in Cov and have no emotional attachment to the area, doesn't mean my feelings are any less worthy. I love Coventry City FC. Always have done (well, since the age of 4 :) ) and always will.

WM

PS. We're defo going up this season.

skybluelee

I moved south when I was 4 and have been in Dorset ever since. Went to my first game v Sheffield Weds in Oct 84 as an 8 yo with my dad. Oggy saved a penalty, Terry Gibson scored the only goal. We sat in the Main Stand. I have never felt a buzz like it. Utterly hooked for life. I was the only Coventry fan (surprise) in my school, but the teasing stopped for a while in 87. Somehow my dad managed to get cup final tickets, even now I can remember everything about the day.

It feels even more special now than it did then. Both my daughters (15 and 12) are proud City fans, and also the only ones in their school (surprise again!). My dad has long since moved back to Cov and the four of us go to games together, there is literally nothing that comes close to that feeling of being there together, 3 generations of us.

I live and breath this club. I collect matchday programmes (900 plus owned to date) and shirts (70 plus), much to the wife's annoyance.

Nothing else comes close to to the range of emotions this club give me. On that sunny day in May last year I can say with absolute certainty that the moments that followed Gus' equaliser was he happiest moment of my life, being there and hugging my girls, followed an hour later by the worst as they sobbed and I tried to hold myself together to console them.

The feelgood factor around the club now after the dark days under SISU fills me with joy. What's even more exciting is there is a real feeling that the good times are only just starting.

PUSB

Macca1987

Came down to Coventry from Scotland when I was 2, dad took me to my first game in 67 when I was six. Senior school was full of Man Utd or Liverpool fans, but kept on Sky Blue. Started taking my son up when he was 2 (he's now 24) he's had a season ticket for all those years apart from Sixfields.
Met a guy at the Torquay game who has become one of my best mates, his lad and mine played football together from the age of 7. We have taken them all over the country with City, would never give it up for anything. Met my 3rd wife 10 years ago and got married 5 years ago, she knew form the off that August until May Saturday was CCFC, fair play to her, she drives me over most times as now live in Nuneaton.
Remember years back my mate and I used to go in the Craftsman and it was full of Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal fans watching the games on Sky, now the pub is Sky Blue through and through every Saturday.

Yank

Is anyone on here decent at graphic design?

Still need a badge for the USA Sky Blues supporters group but not really proficient enough at the above to make our own haha.

Any help and/or input if any have the time will be greatly appreciated on this and can just PM me any design ideas and/or samples if prefer.

Thanks!

chiefdave

Still need a badge for the USA Sky Blues supporters group but not really proficient enough at the above to make our own haha.

Any help and/or input if any have the time will be greatly appreciated on this and can just PM me any design ideas and/or samples if prefer.

Thanks!
Maybe try this chap

Gleneagles65

Moved from Walsgrave to Leicester around 71 aged 5, Dave Clements among a few other players lived nearby back then. Never forgot our team and could never take to the Foxes.

Watched that win in a Leicester pub last weekend absolutely loved it.

robbiekeane

Thanks!
Here’s some chatGPT fuelled inspo for you 😂

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2568.jpeg
    IMG_2568.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 10

covcity4life

Started supporting ccfc after beat Wycombe to make it to checkcatrade trophy final. Despite losing at wembley last year I'm still supporting like a true fan. Will give them till may to make it to prem or will support villa.

PUSB

robbiekeane

Started supporting ccfc after beat Wycombe to make it to checkcatrade trophy final. Despite losing at wembley last year I'm still supporting like a true fan. Will give them till may to make it to prem or will support villa.

PUSB
What about your cousin

ms639

Interestingly was having this chat the other day at work and trying to convey to some non football fans how much I loved the club. It’s entirely illogical but I can’t help it.

For me it’s a couple of things… no matter what is going on in your life, good bad or indifferent, once or twice a week there is literally nothing else that matters, it’s focuses you like almost nothing else, if meditation is the ability to focus on one particular thing for a sustained period of time without the mind wandering then football does that for me for 2 hours 1-2 times a week. There aren’t many things in life that are consistent but you know that every week your team is playing and that’s all that matters.

On a more personal note I used to go up the city every week as a kid with my dad. He worked really long hours and Monday - Friday I didn’t see him that much, but on a Saturday I knew I got the day with him at the football and that was special.

I moved to London over a decade ago and stopped going to the games as regularly. 5 years ago my old man had a massive heart attack out of the blue. He made it through and fortunately is fit as a fiddle after having surgery. It was a wake up call for me and I thought right that’s it I’m getting a season ticket again with him.

For the last 4 years I’ve been flying up and down the M1 to get to as many games as possible, we’ve shared some unbelievable moments in recent years and it’s worth all the petrol money 100 times over.

Frankly it brings people together, be that family or strangers around one common factor and that’s very rare.

Play up you fucking sky blues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

Bit gay but mine is family tradition

My grandad started going regularly ever since football restarted after WW2 as a young boy

He then started taking my mum from the early 70s onwards. They both took me to my first game, Boxing day 99 v Arsenal we all know how that went 😍. I fell in love at that moment. The lights, the green pitch, the noise, the smell everything about it. It helped growing up just off Ball Hill and hearing the songs if i couldnt go

My grandad passed in 2001, and my mum and me carried it on, through them shitty post prem years

Unfortunately my mum then passed suddenly in 2006 (didnt know my dad he fucked off when i was 2) and I always promised myself I would carry on the CCFC bloodline so to speak

My son is 14, been taking him regularly since 2015, and my daughter is 9 and she started going regularly from the St Andrews season. They both have ST'S now and they know all the songs, are passionate at games (sometimes too much 😂) and its our time, our thing that we always have.

I looked at them going mental yesterday after the Milan goal, and felt a bit emotional, wondering if this is how my mum felt on that day watching me when I saw Robbie Keane lob Seaman and he became my hero.

When the day comes that I am no longer here i am certain my 2 will carry it on and with their children 2 , making it a good 100 years by then of CCFC support from us
Great post and not gay in any way

Sky Blue Pete

I moved south when I was 4 and have been in Dorset ever since. Went to my first game v Sheffield Weds in Oct 84 as an 8 yo with my dad. Oggy saved a penalty, Terry Gibson scored the only goal. We sat in the Main Stand. I have never felt a buzz like it. Utterly hooked for life. I was the only Coventry fan (surprise) in my school, but the teasing stopped for a while in 87. Somehow my dad managed to get cup final tickets, even now I can remember everything about the day.

It feels even more special now than it did then. Both my daughters (15 and 12) are proud City fans, and also the only ones in their school (surprise again!). My dad has long since moved back to Cov and the four of us go to games together, there is literally nothing that comes close to that feeling of being there together, 3 generations of us.

I live and breath this club. I collect matchday programmes (900 plus owned to date) and shirts (70 plus), much to the wife's annoyance.

Nothing else comes close to to the range of emotions this club give me. On that sunny day in May last year I can say with absolute certainty that the moments that followed Gus' equaliser was he happiest moment of my life, being there and hugging my girls, followed an hour later by the worst as they sobbed and I tried to hold myself together to console them.

The feelgood factor around the club now after the dark days under SISU fills me with joy. What's even more exciting is there is a real feeling that the good times are only just starting.

PUSB
Was an amazing experience with my grown up kids at wembley
So exciting so lovely to see them so engaged with the game
Before pens they said let’s pray and I was oh wow how nice is that
They all then proceeded to pray that the players would know they had done their best, that whoever won would be gracious and whoever didn’t would know their value and worth
In my head I was wow I didn’t realise my kids were more generous and gracious and empathetic than me and so well rounded
They were gutted when we lost the pens and very protective of Dabo
The passion and family of ccfc is such a powerful connector of lives and emotions and love

skybluelee

Was an amazing experience with my grown up kids at wembley
So exciting so lovely to see them so engaged with the game
Before pens they said let’s pray and I was oh wow how nice is that
They all then proceeded to pray that the players would know they had done their best, that whoever won would be gracious and whoever didn’t would know their value and worth
In my head I was wow I didn’t realise my kids were more generous and gracious and empathetic than me and so well rounded
They were gutted when we lost the pens and very protective of Dabo
The passion and family of ccfc is such a powerful connector of lives and emotions and love
My youngest sobbed as much for Dabo as she did for the club, he was her favourite player. Then cried her eyes out again the following morning when she found out about the disgusting online racial abuse he'd received.

She wrote to him after we got home. A while later she got a letter back from the club thanking her for her message alongside a signed Fanky postcard, both of which have been up on her bedroom wall ever since.

Little things like that help cement that bond with a football team.

Malaka

I have invested 55 years in this club. I have a home in Spain, but only go over when city aren't at home. Mrs Malaka gave up complaining a long time ago.

cstring82

It’s been interesting reading everyone’s reasons for following Cov and here’s mine…
I started going up in the mid nineties with my grandad, fondly remember the front line of Dublin and Huckerby and my first game where we beat Newcastle 2-1!
Got a season ticket for a few years until I started playing football myself and only went when I wasn’t playing.
Been to watch some good and some bad as well as horrible games over the years. Oxford away in the relegation from League One season was a horrible memory, three down in twenty minutes!
Fast forward a few years and the birth of my son and having in laws who support the Vile. He’s had a season ticket for three year's now started doing away games, all the kits etc and loves it.
It’s strange to explain the feeling I get/have had but in the darker periods of recent times, footy and Cov have given me that time away and to forget for a couple of hours a week.
PUSB!

alexccfc99

Indoctrinated by dad and brothers into CCFC had my first season ticket aged 5 and started going to away games regularly aged 7/8

Grew up in Tamworth surrounded by fans of the more 'fashionable' Midlands club (and the typical Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea fans etc.) and spent the last 5 years living in the North-East and then down to Leeds where I was again the only Cov fan

Had my fair share of stick over the years but finally in the position where I can give it back a bit now

From having a season ticket at Sixfields to watching us get turned over by Forest Green Rovers in front of 8,000 and seeing Yeovil Town score 6 goals past us - I wouldn’t change the journey we’ve been on for the world and the best is still yet to come

Covkid1968#

Sitting on the loo reading all these and some even brought a tear to my eye. Love to hear all the background to everyone’s love affair with our great club.
I just love my home City and our club represents it.. so by default I love the club aswell.
I haven’t lived in Cov for over 20 years now and my Cov family are slowly departing this world.. but I go back at every opportunity and the club is a huge reason.

NortonSkyBlue

Sitting on the loo reading all these and some even brought a tear to my eye. Love to hear all the background to everyone’s love affair with our great club.
I just love my home City and our club represents it.. so by default I love the club aswell.
I haven’t lived in Cov for over 20 years now and my Cov family are slowly departing this world.. but I go back at every opportunity and the club is a huge reason.
Did you wash your hands? Personal Hygiene is important...
For many years my connection with the City was my club only after my parents passed. i hated that I felt my club was lost and that is what makes this time feel so special. It has mended a broken heart.

Users who are viewing this thread