What does this club mean to you? (1 Viewer)

procdoc

Been a fan ever since my first game as a 5 year old sometime in the late 80s!
Had a season ticket every season throughout the 90s. In mid 2000s I sacrificed going to watch Cov to get involved with football locally. I no longer do this so I’m a season ticket holder again. My late grandad and dad were massive fans, it’s in my DNA

Frank Sidebottom

Got my first ST this season and honestly it's been a fucking nightmare travelling down from East of Stockport for home games.... but I'm loving it... it's so weird I lived less than 2 miles from the Ricoh between 2012 and 2018 but rarely bothered going (largely because we were shite or playing in Northampton and partly because I had less disposable income) I've found much more of an identity with the club since moving up Manchester way in 2018 watching us far more home and away than since we left HR. I've even developed an ear for a Cov accent (which I previously refused to believe existed.... I just assumed we spoke normally... which we do but there is a definite accent). Anyway if we get promoted I'm fucked because I'm a PLP wanker and I'll get a free ST next season and I've got a nipper on the way in July and the wife will be wondering where I am every other weekend from August.
I fucking love this club.... even when we're shite and I have to listen to Manc twats say things like "Coventry? What league are they in these days?" Whilst moaning because their team are having a shite season because they've only finished 6th or wherever this season.

long way home

I have been away from Coventry for 20 years and i have never had a day when i don't think of home. Family, friends and the club are everything to me. I am so proud to be from the city, i feel lucky to of had the upbringing i had and the things the city give us to be proud of. In my local i meet every fan you can think of and i have never met anyone that doesn't have a fond memory of the club. They all say the same, know us as being a good side and good fans.

So right i am proud and get emotional when i watch games. Im lucky enough to be able to watch every game at home, no matter time i never miss one. I am superstitious though, so have a pattern pre game which includes when i shave , what i drink, where i sit in the house and even what i wear, it wil not change until we lose. Downside, i haven't washed my lucky pants since we last lost!!!!!!!but its worth it and probably a good job i am on my own for the games. But to hear we live and die in this town before the game makes my hair stand on end and brings it home to me how much i miss my city and people.

What i didn't realize is how much this club effects my everyday life, i plan all around games and always look to what is going on. My conversations with my family, friends are based on the club.

Its everything and i feel lucky to have seen and watched some fantastic players, some good teams and 2 periods that in my opinion were the closet squads to the fans, 87 side and any squad built under Robins.

Last edited:

Yank

Appreciate all the replies friends, great stuff! We all truly do love this club.

Also as an aside:

A few friends who are Sky Blues supporters as well and myself, started a USA Supporters Group account on Twitter shortly ago just to network and represent fans over here. Right now, fans over here deal with the London supporters club's International section which does great for International fans but thought be easier on them and more prudent to start a group.

Anyway, if you live in the USA and/or know someone who does, give us a follow and spread the word!

A USA based podcast and perhaps some kind of merchandise could be in the works in the future if we get permission to do so.

Thanks!

Twitter: @USASkyBlues

Brylowes

Traveled up with my wife on Friday (It’s her birthday Sunday and I know how to treat a lady) staying city centre until Monday.
The difference in the city in general is remarkable, only a few years back I would struggle to find another Cov fan whilst out and about in the pubs, now they’re everywhere, literally everywhere we went it’s city city city 😄 I’m loving it.
I’ve been supporting since 1974 and I honestly think Mark Robins has already surpassed anything that’s gone before, and I don’t think he’s hardly got started yet.
Last pub was the Town Crier (I think) listening to a live band, the atmosphere was fantastic and everyone talking about the City.
It’s been a long day but I have to admit, tears were shed when telling my wife how I wish my old fella was here to see what is happening here now.
Definitely emotional 💙

robbiekeane

I think the most important thing to me is the diversity (not referencing the dance group of the same name 😂). Particularly now I’m in the north east.

I work on building sites and hear all manner of shite that from my younger days, I was blind to because I didn’t hear it. I have Nigerian and Jamaican people in my direct family, I’m from an Irish Catholic background, the best neighbours I’ve ever had were a Brit Muslim family. All of them Cov supporters. When I talk about this at work, people up here don’t get it - in the Midlands it’s commonplace. The club is a community for everyone that’s from the area or lives there and that’s really nice.

Sounds lame, don’t care!
I’m now in my early thirties and so when im extremely hungover like i am today i get pretty bad hangxiety, and after reading a disgraceful thread on here I was about done with the internet for today but im really glad i kept this tab open and read this post. Legend.

Skyblue Bangkok

I’m now in my early thirties and so when im extremely hungover like i am today i get pretty bad hangxiety, and after reading a disgraceful thread on here I was about done with the internet for today but im really glad i kept this tab open and read this post. Legend.
I was born in Coventry but only lived 13 years of my actual life in Coventry. Lived a long time in London and then moved to Bangkok over 4.5 years ago. Lot of Cov fans over here too. My brother and mum live in Cov. I started going to watch the Sky Blues when I was 10 ( I didn't even like football before then ). Got hooked was a boy in a man's world ( my parents had no clue about the hooliganism, racism going on back then at games )and excepted as a Sky Blue.I still get excited today about the club as I did back then. I will be back in Coventry in June for a few weeks. I'm proud to be from Coventry.

robbiekeane

I'm emotional today so forgive me beforehand haha but just wanted to start a thread about our beloved club and what it really means to us. Getting a big win in a rivalry game today only made it more so for me and how fantastic the home fans were(From the comforts of my living room anyway) lol.

As I put in one of my earlier posts on this forum, been a fan since 2006 and have been through the ringer in regards to the many ups and downs just like everyone else has been on here(The doldrums of the third division, the second division and getting beat up, the pitiful ownership from SISU, the greatness that is now DK, etc). I am as hardcore as one can be living so far away here in North Carolina from Coventry and having to watch the games via the Internet and not being there with my fellow fans. Enjoy being able to see the boys in person friends! I wish I could say the same.

A lot has happened to me in my personal life the past couple of years and asides from my family and friends, the only other thing that has really helped me deal with things is the Sky Blues, win or lose. I constantly talk about them to anyone who will listen and always will.

Do I get upset as much as I used too when we lose? No, but it does aggravate me for an extended period of time. Yes at the end of the day, its just a sport and more important things to worry about, but as long as the Sky Blues are around I know I will always have something special in my life.

What does CCFC mean to you?

PUSB.
I’ve lived away from the UK for about five years now and I think CCFC helps remind me of home, provides a “constant” in my life when im moving around the world and all of the changes that come with that, and keeps me maintain a link to my English and Irish heritage and identity which is helpful when very far from my place of origin. This site plays a big part in that too as it helps me keep up to date with other stuff in the UK (good and bad!).

In short, it’s home.

thejinkingSakamoto

Our club has been a constant in my life for nearly 27 years. Firstly I got to experience some joyous moments with my Dad at Highfield Road and then the arena, now it’s the same with my closest friends. To support the club my family has followed for decades is a blessing. I now live in Leicestershire and like when I was on the playground in my early years, I’m outnumbered. Despite this my love for the club and pride to always say I’m a Coventry City Football Club supporter has never dimmed. That will never change. To go through the lows we have makes me so thankful for the success we’re now having, the manager and owner in charge of our great institution, the group of talented players donning the sky blue shirt and the atmosphere us supporters create at our home, which is now the best I can ever remember. PUSB.

Last edited:

ovduk78

My wife and I were talking about our first loves & I told her that I still love mine more than ever.

I want to be at every game but because of location it is impossible. I have a 670 mile round trip that including the game takes up a whole day not mentioning the cost. I would rather be at a game we lost than not be at a game we won and when we are playing and I am not there I am more nervous. I try to stay to the same routine watching BBC interactive score & reading the match thread on here although that can be hard when someone will post 1 word with no context. Please don't do that 🤣😉 I want us to move closer to the Midlands but my Scottish wife is proving a tough nut to crack. Coventry City is my only real interest, yes I like riding my motorbike & enjoy playing golf but I love Coventy City. I love being at matches and watching our team with our fans, talking to people I don't know & celebrating with them when we score.

joemercersaces

I went to my first match in March 1969. I was nearly 7. For some time I’d wanted to go with my dad. He’d bring the programme home and reading that took me rapidly from causing concern about my reading progress to devouring everything football related such as Goal and Shoot. The 4-1 win over Burnley had me hooked and from then on my idols were Ernie Hunt, Bill Glazier and co.

Progressed into the early 70s, Tommy Hutchison then Wallace and Fergie. Part fascinated and part scared of the fighting in the West End most matches. At school mocked constantly about City by the Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal ‘fans’ so City became my identity.

It was what me and my dad did. His last game before cancer took him was the last match at Highfield Road. Now me and my lad go, along with his mate and my step-son. It’s what we do.

Weekends have always been conditioned by our results. Win, like yesterday, and the world is great. Lose and a sort of depression descends for a few days. Some highs and lows more intense than others, but, like some other posters I am getting better at dealing with the lows.

I too have found the last few years to be the best ever. We never made the noise that we make now, certainly not away. I just missed the Jimmy Hill revolution but to my mind Mark Robins is right up there with him .

Jarvo87

It’s just over 48 years since I went to HR as an 7yr and have been a ST holder for most of the years in between. Those early years were about the smells (Beer, bovril, cigarettes, p**s to name a few), the anticipation, the disappointment, but the highs, oh the highs….. and sharing them with my long since departed Father.
It’s about the few hours where the stresses and frustrations of the week are forgotten.
My youngest daughter has kicked a football since she could walk. Now she’s 10, and definitely has the football bug and just loves it - football has changed over the years but she helps brings back those memories of nearly 50 years ago, and my hope is we get to share many more together.
There’s good and bad in all places but I’m proud of our city, to be a Coventrian, and bizarre as it is to some (including the wife!), love the club.

Cally Fedora

First game was late 70’s. Used to love going to the Reserves all through the 80’s and 90’s for a chance to sit in The Main Stand. Had over 30 years of season tickets covering the CBS, West Stand and Terrace, Kop and then East Stand. West Stand was the best view of the lot.

Skyblue Bangkok

First game was late 70’s. Used to love going to the Reserves all through the 80’s and 90’s for a chance to sit in The Main Stand. Had over 30 years of season tickets covering the CBS, West Stand and Terrace, Kop and then East Stand. West Stand was the best view of the lot.
I remember when I sued to go.to.resrve games at HR we'd get some decent gates of 2-4k for some of those games. Think we.once had a hate of 12 k plus. The soft southerners had the Football Combination league I think.

Flying Fokker

I'm emotional today so forgive me beforehand haha but just wanted to start a thread about our beloved club and what it really means to us. Getting a big win in a rivalry game today only made it more so for me and how fantastic the home fans were(From the comforts of my living room anyway) lol.

As I put in one of my earlier posts on this forum, been a fan since 2006 and have been through the ringer in regards to the many ups and downs just like everyone else has been on here(The doldrums of the third division, the second division and getting beat up, the pitiful ownership from SISU, the greatness that is now DK, etc). I am as hardcore as one can be living so far away here in North Carolina from Coventry and having to watch the games via the Internet and not being there with my fellow fans. Enjoy being able to see the boys in person friends! I wish I could say the same.

A lot has happened to me in my personal life the past couple of years and asides from my family and friends, the only other thing that has really helped me deal with things is the Sky Blues, win or lose. I constantly talk about them to anyone who will listen and always will.

Do I get upset as much as I used too when we lose? No, but it does aggravate me for an extended period of time. Yes at the end of the day, its just a sport and more important things to worry about, but as long as the Sky Blues are around I know I will always have something special in my life.

What does CCFC mean to you?

PUSB.
Must admit, I’ve been whistling like a canary.

Samo

I hesitate to say this as I'm very much aware of where football sits in the grand scheme of things, but...
It's in my blood, my bones and my DNA, it's part of my identity, and I can't imagine that not being so.
For whatever reason, I have a very strong sense of belonging to this City, so I was always going to be Sky Blue through and through.
And everything we have had to bear since SISU arrived, just makes our current resurgence all the sweeter.
It's my club and no owner can ever take that away.
City til I die!

Flying Fokker

What does this club mean to me? Having moved down south recently, it makes me feel more attached to my roots. I joke around the office at work about supporting a ‘shit’ team, but I’m proud of supporting my local team and wouldn’t change it for the world.

Today, I nearly missed the game because my family dog is not well and he’s quite old so a trip to the vets could be his last. So today’s game was a great distraction for all the those personal lows. Up and down the country sport is an escape for many people going through tough times.

It may sound cringey or soppy, but today was one of those days where you really appreciate the highs of following a team.
Sorry to read about the family dog. It’s not fair.

Flying Fokker

I went to my first match in March 1969. I was nearly 7. For some time I’d wanted to go with my dad. He’d bring the programme home and reading that took me rapidly from causing concern about my reading progress to devouring everything football related such as Goal and Shoot. The 4-1 win over Burnley had me hooked and from then on my idols were Ernie Hunt, Bill Glazier and co.

Progressed into the early 70s, Tommy Hutchison then Wallace and Fergie. Part fascinated and part scared of the fighting in the West End most matches. At school mocked constantly about City by the Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal ‘fans’ so City became my identity.

It was what me and my dad did. His last game before cancer took him was the last match at Highfield Road. Now me and my lad go, along with his mate and my step-son. It’s what we do.

Weekends have always been conditioned by our results. Win, like yesterday, and the world is great. Lose and a sort of depression descends for a few days. Some highs and lows more intense than others, but, like some other posters I am getting better at dealing with the lows.

I too have found the last few years to be the best ever. We never made the noise that we make now, certainly not away. I just missed the Jimmy Hill revolution but to my mind Mark Robins is right up there with him .
There is no co-incidence that the plastic fans from said teams are still supporting them. Some of them may have been to games as well.

Skyblue Bangkok

There is no co-incidence that the plastic fans from said teams are still supporting them. Some of them may have been to games as well.
I meet so many so called Liverpool fans ,.plus Man It'd from the Uk here who have no connection or history with either City..When I tell them Coventry City is my team they say what's your PL team. I say I have one love only CCFC.

The Great Eastern

I remember when I sued to go.to.resrve games at HR we'd get some decent gates of 2-4k for some of those games. Think we.once had a hate of 12 k plus. The soft southerners had the Football Combination league I think.
That big reserve team gate was certainly over 10,000 for Man Utd Reserves. I'm pretty sure it was the first season in the Central League after then manager, Noel Cantwell, decided it was for the best that the club was moved to a significantly more competitive reserve team league. The Football Combination was full of London clubs teams but didnt have quite the edge that the Central League did.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Traveled up with my wife on Friday (It’s her birthday Sunday and I know how to treat a lady) staying city centre until Monday.
The difference in the city in general is remarkable, only a few years back I would struggle to find another Cov fan whilst out and about in the pubs, now they’re everywhere, literally everywhere we went it’s city city city 😄 I’m loving it.
I’ve been supporting since 1974 and I honestly think Mark Robins has already surpassed anything that’s gone before, and I don’t think he’s hardly got started yet.
Last pub was the Town Crier (I think) listening to a live band, the atmosphere was fantastic and everyone talking about the City.
It’s been a long day but I have to admit, tears were shed when telling my wife how I wish my old fella was here to see what is happening here now.
Definitely emotional 💙

Like I said before took my daughter training last week and around 14 or so girls had coventry kits on from this season..

Would you believe me if I told you that seeing man utd and Liverpool kits is currently in the minority atleast in tile hill amd canley .. feels like the fanbase is growing

Skyblue Bangkok

That big reserve team gate was certainly over 10,000 for Man Utd Reserves. I'm pretty sure it was the first season in the Central League after then manager, Noel Cantwell, decided it was for the best that the club was moved to a significantly more competitive reserve team league. The Football Combination was full of London clubs teams but didnt have quite the edge that the Central League did.
I think the record gate might have been for one of our players coming back after a broken leg ? I went to some football combination games in London including Southampton fielding Keegan and Mick Channon and a few other first teamers at Chelsea .

Sick Boy

I’ve lived away from the UK for about five years now and I think CCFC helps remind me of home, provides a “constant” in my life when im moving around the world and all of the changes that come with that, and keeps me maintain a link to my English and Irish heritage and identity which is helpful when very far from my place of origin. This site plays a big part in that too as it helps me keep up to date with other stuff in the UK (good and bad!).

In short, it’s home.
Pretty much how I feel too- it sounds ridiculous but the club provides a level of inner-comfort when living away.

Cov98

I'm in my mid twenties so haven't experienced nearly as much as a lot on here, but this club is everything to me.
I have every shirt since the dark days of League 2 up until now, as well as a signed 98 shirt from the team which is special as it's the year I was born.

I live in Ireland since my parents moved here when I was only 8 so I have only been to a couple of home games due to school, work and the whole St Andrews and Northampton scenarios but I watch every game I can.
I work for a company that's super inflexible with time off but even so I'm hoping to make a good few more games this year.

Sick Boy

I used to go to them with my dad, i really enjoyed them. I remember Newcastle bringing thousands of travelling fans one game, which was incredible.

Robinshio

I went to my 1st game v derby reserves around 70/71. Used to be played 3pm Saturday and was the way to keep up to date with the scores. We won 4-1 btw

Greggs

Fuck it, I'll cave and get involved. I try and deny it, but this stupid fucking football club controls my emotions.

I've seen my Dad dip into the deepest depressions which have always coincided with the City being shit, I try to stop myself from it taking me as much as its taken him. Supporting the City is the bond that I share with him and its created hundreds of memories that will last a lifetime.

It means so much to him and at times I've only been going because of how special it is to him, I'm blessed that I've experienced every division of football with him, he's 74 now, I'd fucking love it if he could experience the top flight again.

Long story short, I was born into this shit, once you are there's no getting out.

Users who are viewing this thread