What Do We Need To Change? (1 Viewer)

Boicey

Palmer, Allen, Kelly and probably an AM in January to come in to bolster midfield.
You would think we could sort out a half decent defence withon a few months.
So the big problem remains up front. Where are the goals coming from???

BlueSkiesForever

In my opinion the current formation only really worked because of Vik and Hamer. We basically play with 7 defensive players now. In an old 4-4-2 you'd have pretty much had 5 attacking players in a side. I don't see the need to play two defensive midfielders every game... And an extra centre back. We have a lot of possession but in meaningless areas of the pitch.

And that exactly makes sense with what we’re seeing atm, all defence and no attack, and if you keep giving the ball to the opposition then it’s only a matter of time before you concede.
I know it’s realistically not what we’re trying to do but it’s almost like we’re aiming to keep possession for as long as we can and then hoping to pop one in, rather than playing football, proper exciting, intelligent, attacking football.

Boicey

I know Goddens our top scorer but I bet the opposition are rubbing their hands with glee when they see his name on the team sheet, their manager will say to their defence push up because if Godden does manage to get it past anyone you will easily catch him up
Are there any players in our team that any opposition would worry about?
I guess COH and Sakamoto (who won’t be a regular).

AiS86

Yeah definitely agree, there’s too much reliance on WBs atm, I realise that’s what is needed with 5ATB but they’re not providing anything other than the odd cross which we never seem to put away. Look at how Chelsea used to play with WBs, Reece James and Chilwell bombing forward, running past the defence then whipping it across the face of goal. We do none of that, only a few of the balls we put into the box are ever dangerous.

For a team that plays wide it never feels like there’s that much space or we’re ever dragging defenders out of position. I can’t put my finger on what it is but something is fundamentally wrong with the way we attack.
Think even the wing backs will improve with something extra in the am role. Few times early on yesterday they'd both turn inside and they're left with the option of playing it back to Sheaf or Eccles, or a longish pass straight to the forwards thereby ending their involvement. With an am to play one twos with they could then get in behind a bit more, especially Van Ewijk with his pace. At the minute it feels like they have to do it all on their own beating their man just to get a cross in.

Julie SBA

I always worried that Robins was not the right manager to manage a steady ship. By his own admission he has always been in crisis mode, in which he excels and works well with a small squad, backs against the wall and all that.
Is he the right person, to manage bigger squads and bigger egos. Lots of questions if he's the right person to spend big money on
He has blinkers for certain players, Dabo in the past, Eccles and Godden right now - I get there's not much competition. Is there anyone else that would play Ayari over Tats?
And as we know MR is very fixed in his game management.

Lets be honest if Vik or Gus had been out for any period last season we would have been fighting at the other end of the table, I think he/we got lucky and therefore we do have unrealistic expectations this season.

So one thing that may need to change is the manager. he's starting to show he's not equipped to cope with the higher expectations and budget.

Personally I wouldn't, but then I never thought we would challenge at the top again this season.

If it were down to me on the playing side, with what we have, then Ayari wouldn't feature, Eccles wouldn't be on set pieces - or my starting line up. I'd bring Bidwell in from the cold, he was mr reliable last year. and I'd start working on different options to the formation, we are so predictable..

BlueSkiesForever

If it were down to me on the playing side, with what we have, then Ayari wouldn't feature, Eccles wouldn't be on set pieces - or my starting line up. I'd bring Bidwell in from the cold, he was mr reliable last year. and I'd start working on different options to the formation, we are so predictable..

Tbf it would be interesting playing Bidwell again and switching to a 4ATB, allow him to be solid at the back and let Dasilva play higher up the pitch.

Something like either of these team sheets could be decent, yes we’ll concede goals but we need to get over that fear and actually have the confidence to start scoring, rather than watching 1-0 or 2-0 loses or 1-1 draws every week.

0DD6F9EF-9BCB-4D36-815B-BC42719825BB.jpeg

BFC02082-DB71-46C6-B6F5-D6FE809E2247.jpeg

Ccfcisparks

Tbf it would be interesting playing Bidwell again and switching to a 4ATB, allow him to be solid at the back and let Dasilva play higher up the pitch.

Something like either of these team sheets could be decent, yes we’ll concede goals but we need to get over that fear and actually have the confidence to start scoring, rather than watching 1-0 or 2-0 loses or 1-1 draws every week.

View attachment 32215

View attachment 32216
JDS LW? Really.

SBAndy

One other thing actually. Plenty saying Eccles is too samey to Sheaf. I don’t think that’s the case at all. Eccles is playing far too advanced for large portions of games and we’re losing structure and control due to this. He seems to be underlapping MvE a lot in games which means reduced defensive solidity and limiting MvE’s space to operate in.

I’ve been looking at average position charts so far this season and Eccles’ position is regularly the most advanced of the midfielders and towards the right hand side. Looking at last season, Hamer tended to be far deeper and far more central. It would be great if we had sprint data for the Championship as my gut feel is Hamer tracked back with a lot more intensity than Eccles does.

slowpoke

In fairness Hamer & Eccles are very different type of player. I assume tactically Eccles is playing to orders. He seemed better when Sheaf was out.

skybluecam

View attachment 32215

View attachment 32216
I'm sorry but those two mock lineups have completely destroyed any credibility your tactical opinions had.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I have said this a thousand times but we have a really goal-shy team. Playing the box midfield would mean another player on the pitch who probably isn't contributing to goals. We also have the most expensive forward line we have ever had. To play one of them seems a bit self-defeating there.

The five at the back for me is where it starts to go wrong and is holding us back. I would switch to a four and then play the rest of the team formation to ensure at least two of the strikers are in there. I would like to see us have some form of 4-3-3 really. I think it would get the best out of the players we have. You could have three midfielders who can concentrate on controlling the game, passing and tackling rather than making attacks that they aren't capable of, and then have a front three of Wright and Sakamoto on one side, and Godden/Simms fighting it out for the central spot.

Despite our issues at the moment, one of the biggest problems we have is lack of new ideas from the management, so if this happens I'll buy a hat and eat it.

ccfc1234

Some good suggestions, for me it's simple

Tell Eccles to play forwards not backwards or sideways. He stifles the play and plays the safe pass, always. Decent squad player but he really is over rated by some on here. Sheaf is on another planet vs Eccles in how he progresses the play.
Play Saka at 10 until COH is up to speed. Start Wright and tell him to run the channels and get JDS and MVE making under lapping runs.
Finally tell the midfield to run hard to hit the box moving when were attacking, everything currently is too lethargic, static and ponderous

SlowerThanPlatt

I have said this a thousand times but we have a really goal-shy team. Playing the box midfield would mean another player on the pitch who probably isn't contributing to goals. We also have the most expensive forward line we have ever had. To play one of them seems a bit self-defeating there.
Last night was Sakamato’s 55th consecutive game without scoring a goal, it’ll be longer as I’ve only bothered to check back from his time in Belgium.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Last night was Sakamato’s 55th consecutive game without scoring a goal, it’ll be longer as I’ve only bothered to check back from his time in Belgium.

I'm worried about end product too, but the idea of playing him and O'Hare (also not known for much end product) behind just one striker, and in front of a midfield that can't score either? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

We need a serious change in how we are doing things, and Sakamoto at least looks bright and energetic. Worryingly that is more than can be said than many of our other players.

Dickie

And that exactly makes sense with what we’re seeing atm, all defence and no attack, and if you keep giving the ball to the opposition then it’s only a matter of time before you concede.
I know it’s realistically not what we’re trying to do but it’s almost like we’re aiming to keep possession for as long as we can and then hoping to pop one in, rather than playing football, proper exciting, intelligent, attacking football.
All defence, no attack and we’re still conceding goals

Dickie

Some good suggestions, for me it's simple

Tell Eccles to play forwards not backwards or sideways. He stifles the play and plays the safe pass, always. Decent squad player but he really is over rated by some on here. Sheaf is on another planet vs Eccles in how he progresses the play.
Play Saka at 10 until COH is up to speed. Start Wright and tell him to run the channels and get JDS and MVE making under lapping runs.
Finally tell the midfield to run hard to hit the box moving when were attacking, everything currently is too lethargic, static and ponderous
Seem sensible suggestions. So it’s no change v West Brom then 😆

PVA

I would like to see the box formation again when possible (when a couple of O'Hare, Allen and Palmer are back).

Too many times at the moment the CBs or CMs will have the ball around the halfway line and there's just no options in front of them.

All the strikers want to play on the defenders shoulder so it only leaves the AM available for a pass and he's obviously going to be well marked.

There was a spell late in the second half yesterday where Ayari was able to find some pockets and he looked a threat. Two AMs will improve that

torchomatic

Apparently just having someone other than Eccles take corners will mean we score three or four extra goals per game, pretty simple really
Apparently, we should just stick with Eccles, who is fucking useless with dead balls, because he's 'one of our own'.

Mucca Mad Boys

Palmer, Allen, Kelly and probably an AM in January to come in to bolster midfield.
You would think we could sort out a half decent defence withon a few months.
So the big problem remains up front. Where are the goals coming from???
The problem is the midfield, we move the ball far too slowly and don’t create good chances.

We consistently lose the battle in midfield. Even Godden has stopped scoring because he hasn’t had the chances.

We can’t not replace a player like Hamer and expect to maintain our performance levels. If we kept him, there wouldn’t be this ‘crisis’ we have today.

We lost a couple of away games on the bounce, it’s not a huge disaster, yet.

stevefloyd

Think even the wing backs will improve with something extra in the am role. Few times early on yesterday they'd both turn inside and they're left with the option of playing it back to Sheaf or Eccles, or a longish pass straight to the forwards thereby ending their involvement. With an am to play one twos with they could then get in behind a bit more, especially Van Ewijk with his pace. At the minute it feels like they have to do it all on their own beating their man just to get a cross in.
Van Ewijk...pace???

Flying Fokker

We need to be more willing to take a chance on a throughball or cross instead of always going back and forth looking for the perfect opportunity. We especially need to get the WB's as a more attacking force.

When O'hare is fully fit I'd quite happily go back to the box. Probably Simms up top on his own though at the moment none of them seem particularly worthy of it.
It’s such a negative way of building up play. Possession is fine but I’m owed off seeing the amount of times the ball is passed back. The corners and this are the worst part of our game.

The Philosopher

Wilson

Back 3 Fadz Kitching Binks

JWE JDS as WBS

Sheaf and Lati DM’s with Lati holding back and Sheaf running forward

Cal and Tats roaming but told to pull wide to link with WBS and drag defence to give space in middle.

Simms up front (but tell him to get the sack of coal off his back and start showing some movement).

We can replace / rotate every player in this formation if we have an injury.

Users who are viewing this thread