What are you currently listening to? (3 Viewers)

torchomatic

It's a great little single. Released in 1981. Goes for a hundred or so nowadays. My copy is a little creased now and has seen better days.

torchomatic

Found one more:

I'm not from Coventry obviously, is that place local?Good to see that they performed together more recently and stood and explored the same places.

Gazolba

I'm not from Coventry obviously, is that place local?Good to see that they performed together more recently and stood and explored the same places.
This is from the Youtube description:
This track, One More Fool, was the opener for the first gig in 27 years, at the Drayton Court, West Ealing, London, on 2nd August 2008. The night raised £1500 for a childhood leukaemia research charity as well as a few eyebrows at Johnny's wig and Stan's naked torso. After gigging around Coventry for a couple of years from 1979, giving support slots to a nascent Napalm Death and providing Stan Campbell with his first gig (before he went on to sing 'Free Nelson Mandela' for Special AKA), the Human Cabbages appeared on the 'Boys and Girls Come Out To Play' compilation 7" and made an EP, 'The Witch'. John Peel played the records once or twice but the odd distraction got in the way in the shape of careers, families and general relocation to disparate quarters meaning that rehearsals became kind of less frequent and the Human Cabbages just never got around to arranging another gig. Then, in 2005, out of the blue an email came from avid US collector, Chuck Warner in Massachusetts asking if he could put 'The Witch' on his 'Messthetics 103' Midlands DIY compilation CD. So now you can buy the Human Cabbages at Tescos (well, online at least). The track's been played on US college radio stations as well as Stuart Maconie's Freakzone (BBC6) so it was high time for another gig. There had been a spontaneous reunion at Steve Teers' wedding in 2006 when it was noticed that there would be 5 Human Cabbages in the same room. But the singer of 'The Witch', Rosa Roberts, had long since disappeared, until that is, an article in the Coventry Telegraph led to Rosa calling Steve and arranging lunch... Plans to play a 'hometown tour' of the band's current hometowns of Newcastle, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Coventry and London are a twinkle in the collective Cabbage-eyes. Voice: Rosa Roberts Bass: Stan Horton Guitar: Johnny Fagznbooze Keys/trombone: Steve Teers Drums: Steve Williams

chiefdave

Didn't we used to have a gigs thread? Can't find it now.

Increasingly thinking I wouldn't be going to another gig this year. Gigs that were postponed in April / May and moved to later in the year are now being cancelled completely. I've got nothing in the diary until November now.

NEC have been approved planning permission for some pretty major works. They're taking the roof off the arena and adding a second tier of seats, as well as knocking a couple of sides down to expand out. Will make it the biggest arena in the UK.

torchomatic

This is from the Youtube description:
This track, One More Fool, was the opener for the first gig in 27 years, at the Drayton Court, West Ealing, London, on 2nd August 2008. The night raised £1500 for a childhood leukaemia research charity as well as a few eyebrows at Johnny's wig and Stan's naked torso. After gigging around Coventry for a couple of years from 1979, giving support slots to a nascent Napalm Death and providing Stan Campbell with his first gig (before he went on to sing 'Free Nelson Mandela' for Special AKA), the Human Cabbages appeared on the 'Boys and Girls Come Out To Play' compilation 7" and made an EP, 'The Witch'. John Peel played the records once or twice but the odd distraction got in the way in the shape of careers, families and general relocation to disparate quarters meaning that rehearsals became kind of less frequent and the Human Cabbages just never got around to arranging another gig. Then, in 2005, out of the blue an email came from avid US collector, Chuck Warner in Massachusetts asking if he could put 'The Witch' on his 'Messthetics 103' Midlands DIY compilation CD. So now you can buy the Human Cabbages at Tescos (well, online at least). The track's been played on US college radio stations as well as Stuart Maconie's Freakzone (BBC6) so it was high time for another gig. There had been a spontaneous reunion at Steve Teers' wedding in 2006 when it was noticed that there would be 5 Human Cabbages in the same room. But the singer of 'The Witch', Rosa Roberts, had long since disappeared, until that is, an article in the Coventry Telegraph led to Rosa calling Steve and arranging lunch... Plans to play a 'hometown tour' of the band's current hometowns of Newcastle, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Coventry and London are a twinkle in the collective Cabbage-eyes. Voice: Rosa Roberts Bass: Stan Horton Guitar: Johnny Fagznbooze Keys/trombone: Steve Teers Drums: Steve Williams

Great stuff, thanks.

The Boys and Girls Come Out To Play 7" EP has long been on my wants list but in the past has gone for - and I kid you not - £500. There are two copies currently for sale, one £180 and one £300. I remember seeing it in HMV when I was at school, when HMV used to be opposite the old post office.

Various - Boys And Girls Come Out To Play (All Versions) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

Also used to like the Wild Boys. I had a cassette at one point but post it many years ago. Another fab Cov band.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Squire - "You're The One":

King of the Lesbians

Didn't we used to have a gigs thread? Can't find it now.

Increasingly thinking I wouldn't be going to another gig this year. Gigs that were postponed in April / May and moved to later in the year are now being cancelled completely. I've got nothing in the diary until November now.
It's dropped to page 4 chap...
The Gigs Thread
...of the 3 I had cancelled I really have no idea if they will actually happen.
The Who pushed back to March (think it was originally pushed back to December!)
Mission pushed back to April 20th
Pigs pushed back to April 21st

clint van damme

It's dropped to page 4 chap...
The Gigs Thread
...of the 3 I had cancelled I really have no idea if they will actually happen.
The Who pushed back to March (think it was originally pushed back to December!)
Mission pushed back to April 20th
Pigs pushed back to April 21st

i think live music is going to be fucked for a long time after this.
It's probably the worse environment you could have for spreading the virus, particularly gigs as opposed to festivals.

Having said that it looks as though Primevera is going ahead in Spain next year. It's got a good line up so I might give it a go.

Terry Gibson's perm

Concerts and exhibitions are going to be really hard to sell now imagine if you owned a conference centre that is costing you a fortune and nothing is coming in.

fernandopartridge

It sort of came off the back of the BLM coverage but I heard recently that Adonis of the below breakthrough iconic house track has never received a penny in royalties

I've been listening to a lot of other stuff of this era, brilliant...

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

It sort of came off the back of the BLM coverage but I heard recently that Adonis of the below breakthrough iconic house track has never received a penny in royalties

I've been listening to a lot of other stuff of this era, brilliant...

brilliant.. from a couple of years later I rediscovered this one recently via Mixcloud, brings back some happy memories

Ring Of Steel

I've re-downloaded Soundcloud and logged in, not used it much for a good few years.
Can't share easily but rediscovered the 'Acid Soul' collection from the user 'Leftside Wobble', these are great car or exercise listening.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwAXoECAUQBw&usg=AOvVaw1-xTkhkt4L7Bcwvfv5nf3u

I’m on Soundcloud too- not as well known but I really like it. Do you use Mixcloud? They ‘monetised’ it recently but it’s still a goldmine for anything you’re looking for, and I’m gonna find that Acid Soul collection right now, thanks for the tip. I think this one below is probably my favourite from that era- still gives me goosebumps even now, and to make it even better this is half of the mighty Future Sound Of London, aka Amorphous Androgynous, who made the album which literally changed my life :)

fernandopartridge

I’m on Soundcloud too- not as well known but I really like it. Do you use Mixcloud? They ‘monetised’ it recently but it’s still a goldmine for anything you’re looking for, and I’m gonna find that Acid Soul collection right now, thanks for the tip. I think this one below is probably my favourite from that era- still gives me goosebumps even now, and to make it even better this is half of the mighty Future Sound Of London, aka Amorphous Androgynous, who made the album which literally changed my life :)

Yeah I've got a mixcloud account too, not been on there for a while mind

Users who are viewing this thread