Westwood set to start for Ireland (1 Viewer)

Great_Expectations

Keiren Westwood is set to start his first competitive match for Ireland in their Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia tomorrow. Westwood has 5 caps to his name so far, albeit none in competitive games. Ireland are currently second in their qualifying group and are expected to beat Macedonia who sit second from bottom in Group B.

Westwood has received backing from many in the Irish set up, including goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly who believes Keiren will not let the side down, commenting on his recent form Kelly stated "he has been superb and I have no reason to think that won't continue."

Ireland's number one keeper the injured Shay Given has also given Westwood his support asserting that "The country is in safe hands, I have been very impressed by him since he has come into the squad."

The worrying thing from a Sky Blue point of view is that this puts him on the international stage and thus a larger audience to be impressed by Keiren's ability.

Perhaps not helped by both Kelly and Given believing he has the ability to be playing at a higher level, both indicating he can play at a bigger and better club than Coventry. In Givens eyes "Clubs will be looking at him in the summer as I believe his contract is up and no disrespect to Coventry, but he can move to a bigger club."

With international colleagues whispering things like this in his ear, the already slim chances of Westwood signing a new contract, diminish even further.

fellatio_Martinez

I like him, being Ireland's no.1 will attract bigger clubs and bigger wages.

It's a shame we'll get nothing for him when he goes but I'm just glad he'll be playing for the rest of the season.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
He was already leaving this summer anyway, don't delude yourself thinking he was ever going to stay.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Trappatoni ahs already stated that Westwood will move on to bigger things, Quirke is out with the under 18 squad I believe

Great_Expectations

He was already leaving this summer anyway, don't delude yourself thinking he was ever going to stay.

No delusion from me I am fully aware he is leaving and can understand why he would want to better himself as a footballer. Point about the others saying he was going onto better thing is that it is just more nails in the coffin.

rob9872

Don't worry about losing Ireland's number one and remember that now Ireland's number one (shamelessly stolen from the CET site but as they are not here I'll claim it as mine :) )

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Given stated hes going to a bigger club in the summer, hope he has super glue on his gloves tomorrow cos we better batter those macadoniens and qualify, been too long not being in a major tournament for us.

rob9872

Given stated hes going to a bigger club in the summer, hope he has super glue on his gloves tomorrow cos we better batter those macadoniens and qualify, been too long not being in a major tournament for us.

Yeah you've not made it to one since you took an English manager and the England reserve team :p

Great_Expectations

I have both Ireland and England in my accumulator so I hope for this reason at least they win, the fact my mum is Irish takes secondary importance to the potential earnings in this case!

Nick

Administrator
Westwood really needs to shine today on the big stage so that it will help him find a club in the summer (although he has probably already signed a pre contract with somebody)

fellatio_Martinez

Over in Ireland ATM.

The pundits on RTE are saying he's an excellent goalkeeper but are wary he hasn't played a competitive game yet.

C'mon Ireland!

Nick

Administrator
Over in Ireland ATM.

The pundits on RTE are saying he's an excellent goalkeeper but are wary he hasn't played a competitive game yet.

C'mon Ireland!

Shay Given is on Sky so I wonder what he will say about him?

More to come on Westwood later apparently!

Are you at the game?

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
we didnt play well but im saying this now, westwood proved himself with that 1 on 1 save it won us the game we were poor gibson was all over the place weve no creativity in midflied, russia will rip us apart again when we play them atm its not loking good i feel.

Nonleagueherewecome

That was a cracking save by Westwood. Although the sort of thing we're used to.
And so it begins..that painful feeling of seeing the media rave about a player we've known is great for ages, now he's not ours. Keane & Dann being the greatest examples of this. I almost wanted him to chuck a few in his own net so everyone thinks he's rubbish and he stays!

fellatio_Martinez

Westwood had a solid game. His one save was a game winner and his kicking was superb.

Ireland will be okay, Trap has them playing a very Italian cautious game. Russia are no world beaters, they could only manage 0-0 yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread