West Midlands super council deal could be put at risk by Birmingham's poor leadership (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Disgraceful!

Why do the people of Coventry allow them to get away with it?! Lucas appears is a law unto herself. How has she managed to get so much power?

Terry Gibson's perm

Disgraceful!

Why do the people of Coventry allow them to get away with it?! Lucas appears is a law unto herself. How has she managed to get so much power?

Just waiting for her to become Lady Lucas and that will top it off.

shmmeee

Can't believe their attitude on this. They could at least try and make it look like there is some semblance of democracy in there but they're either telling us we've never been in Warks, are going to do what they want or we can't have a referendum as we're too stupid to understand the issue.

I'm not expecting honesty from people in positions like this but this is just blatant. The sad thing about the state of politics today is the vast majority will let it happen without saying a word. If there was ever any consequence to their actions things might be different.

Politically and economically we've always been closer to West Midlands than Warwickshire. And that is what this is about.

The other thing is, look at Manchester who rejected a mayor like we did in a referendum only 3 years ago and are now being forced to have one to get powers back from the government. So there's no evidence that spending taxpayer money on another referendum so soon would be binding or even change direction.

As I've said before our choice is between getting fucked by the government in funding or becoming part of something bigger with a Mayor so we get the powers needed. I don't know what Warwickshire has to offer but I do know that Cities are Osbornes focus so it makes sense wed get a better deal with the second city than with a grouping of smaller towns.

I can see both sides I guess, I like Warwickshire more even if it makes no sense politically to join them together.

J

Jack Griffin

Just a stitch up, take the Mayor & devolved powers or you'll get nowt.

All the spendthrift Labour councils have clubbed together to get their hands on those powers so they can raise taxes in full knowledge that they will get away with it because they have a natural majority. Well if they abuse them maybe the public will wise up, but be prepared for above inflation council tax hikes for a few years, either that or screw them by voting in a Tory, Independent or Liberal Mayor, I'm hoping someone with a bit of common sense & nous like Digby Jones will put himself forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philosorapter

I am sure in my meanderings on here I have mentioned the greatest threat to Democracy are the political parties.

Which of the Councillors are up for re-election in May? I know its a third of them, and it will be our only chance to remove them in the next two years.

fernandopartridge

Politically and economically we've always been closer to West Midlands than Warwickshire. And that is what this is about.

The other thing is, look at Manchester who rejected a mayor like we did in a referendum only 3 years ago and are now being forced to have one to get powers back from the government. So there's no evidence that spending taxpayer money on another referendum so soon would be binding or even change direction.

As I've said before our choice is between getting fucked by the government in funding or becoming part of something bigger with a Mayor so we get the powers needed. I don't know what Warwickshire has to offer but I do know that Cities are Osbornes focus so it makes sense wed get a better deal with the second city than with a grouping of smaller towns.

I can see both sides I guess, I like Warwickshire more even if it makes no sense politically to join them together.

Politically yes, economically no. People travel from Warwickshire into Coventry and vice versa, we've more in common in an economic sense. We don't even have a border with the West Midlands, do we?

fernandopartridge

All the spendthrift Labour councils have clubbed together to get their hands on those powers so they can raise taxes in full knowledge that they will get away with it because they have a natural majority. Well if they abuse them maybe the public will wise up, but be prepared for above inflation council tax hikes for a few years, either that or screw them by voting in a Tory, Independent or Liberal Mayor, I'm hoping someone with a bit of common sense & nous like Digby Jones will put himself forward.

Seriously Jack? Digby Jones would be dreadful, cares about Birmingham, couldn't give a monkey's fart about the rest of us. Then again, it would be funny to see the interaction between Ann Lucas et al and the mayor, not exactly on the same sheet politically.

Terry Gibson's perm

Seriously Jack? Digby Jones would be dreadful, cares about Birmingham, couldn't give a monkey's fart about the rest of us. Then again, it would be funny to see the interaction between Ann Lucas et al and the mayor, not exactly on the same sheet politically.

Maybe Lady Lucas will want to be the mayor!

J

Jack Griffin

The Metro Mayor of the WMCA will almost inevitably be a Brummie, basically if it is a Labour apparatchik we're all doomed, I was looking for someone, anyone who is more of a mover & shaker with some common sense than a politician with a frightful agenda. Tell us if you've got any better ideas, I'm listening.

oakey

Tory Central gov wants to starve local govs of funding. They cannot even meet their statutory duties like child protection now. They need more money so force them to raise their own in local taxation, then they get the blame from locals who don't want to pay for services that they personally don't use. It's a deliberate policy and local politicians either play their game or leave politics to the landed gentry like the old days. Subversion of democracy in a calculated, cynical rolling back of the state. Gideon is an enemy of the people.

fernandopartridge

The better idea is for Coventry to remain outside of this brummie vanity project.
The Metro Mayor of the WMCA will almost inevitably be a Brummie, basically if it is a Labour apparatchik we're all doomed, I was looking for someone, anyone who is more of a mover & shaker with some common sense than a politician with a frightful agenda. Tell us if you've got any better ideas, I'm listening.

J

Jack Griffin

The better idea is for Coventry to remain outside of this brummie vanity project.

With you on that, but unfortunately that ain't gonna happen, even if the next local election (of 18 out of 54 seats) results in 15 seats lost for Labour they will still have a majority (Labour currently hold 43 seats out of 54) and if the Tories could take power, would they go against Gideon's wishes, I doubt it.

Think again, maybe you can come up with a more realistic proposal given the circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jack Griffin

Yeah, told you.. Maton spouted complete & utter bullshit about a Mayor not being necessary.
The agreement will see £36million pumped in to the region each year by the Government, while voters will elect a West Midlands mayor in 2017.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/watch-west-midlands-combined-authority-10455113

The Lurker

Birmingham have showed how to run a city. German market is brilliant, the new station is attractive. Shops and reatuarants alike. Mail box the list is endless. Coventry is behind the times, if it wasn't for the university it would be a concrete jungle. Cov council are useless

SkyBlue_Bear83

No need to worry, Lucas has assured people that safeguards are in place so that Coventry won't be forced into any decisions.

Sounds familiar

Captain Dart

West Midlands Combined Authority survey, I'm sure they will ignore the result & even suppress the answers if they are not 'positive'.
But its a chance to embarrass the c-units who are forcing this through by giving the answers you know they don't want to hear.

http://snapsurveys.centro.org.uk/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=145278811812

NorthernWisdom

Questions are a bit leading aren't they?

Led me to add this comment in the bottom box.

The language in the questionnaire disturbs me, suggesting the deal is already done. The questions also seem designed to be interpreted in favour of a combined authority. Therefore I must emphasise that in my view a combined authority would be an utter disaster, an affront to democracy, and this catastrophic plan must be halted immediately for the sake of residents.

Otis

I did it and just stated at the bottom: The people of coventry do not want to be part of a greater birmingham authority.
Hey, speak for yourself!!

I pretty much put the same thing. ;)

Something on the lines of being engulfed and enveloped and becoming part of Birmingham in all but name.

Brighton Sky Blue

Devolution always sounds great in principle but the most populous areas always end up getting higher priority simply because they contain more voters. Scotland's a great example, with the central belt hogging the government's attention and most public services run from there with scant regard for the much wider area outside of it.

On this issue, councils do not need to formally merge in order to better co-operate.

fernandopartridge

On a related subject, in Manchester, where the Combined Authority was established a couple of years back, guess what is happening this year? Manchester City Council has announced its highest council tax rises since 1990.

Captain Dart

Led me to add this comment in the bottom box.

The language in the questionnaire disturbs me, suggesting the deal is already done. The questions also seem designed to be interpreted in favour of a combined authority. Therefore I must emphasise that in my view a combined authority would be an utter disaster, an affront to democracy, and this catastrophic plan must be halted immediately for the sake of residents.

Yeah, I did similar, a comment about the utter lack of democracy in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread