West Midlands super council deal could be put at risk by Birmingham's poor leadership (1 Viewer)

armybike

Government says plan for Coventry to join West Midlands Combined Authority could be hindered by Birmingham City Council's poor performance.

Plans to form a West Midlands super council, including Coventry, Nuneaton and Bedworth, could be put at risk by Birmingham’s poor leadership - according to the head of local government.

Local Government Secretary Greg Clark told a Commons inquiry that Birmingham’s leadership had been too slow to make improvements to the council - putting the controversial West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) deal at risk.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/west-midlands-super-council-deal-10099233

Philosorapter

Lucas must feel satisfied that the party with which she is with has a new leader who is calling for greater democracy within the party, has used the Local Democracy Bill to snuffle out any attempts of democracy in the say of creating this new authority.

You couldn't make this shit up.

chiefdave

Excellent, lets get our clueless council to join up with another one that doesn't know what they are doing. I can see no potential problems down the line.

To be fair Birmingham actually have trains stopping at their new station :D

lifeskyblue

Sounds like Fawlty Towers meets Yes Minister. Would be fun if it wasn't for local tax rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Excellent, lets get our clueless council to join up with another one that doesn't know what they are doing. I can see no potential problems down the line.

To be fair Birmingham actually have trains stopping at their new station :D

It's not a new station is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covstu

Wow, i am reassured by this! So we dont assess all of this prior to potentially alienating the coventry public and siding with a failing council! Just wonderful...

Philosorapter

Just been reading through the document leaked to the Telegraph.

Some good stuff in there. However, the people of Coventry need a referendum on it. This document proposes fundamental changes to the social contract which is far deeper than what has been discussed publicly at the moment. Also it suggests an elected mayor with powers to dictate to Coventry from outside her area. This in itself in my opinion would require a referendum. I am guessing the Labour party never mentioned any of this in their manifesto to the people of Coventry in the local elections, so they have no mandate from the people of Coventry to join this joint authority.

Could be interesting to see if any of this is challenged in Court.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/revealed-leaked-document-shows-full-10132487

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Coun Lucas accused the Conservatives of being “ignorant” or “mischievous” and said that, even if an ‘out’ referendum was held, the result would likely be ignored by the Conservative government.

Quote from a telegraph article. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Nice to see they are treated themselves to 40mpound new offices as well.

shmmeee

Hate to break the circle jerk, but considering the hard on all the political parties have for devolution right now, if not Birmingham then who? Or should we be left out of it entirely?

The country is either going to be split up into city areas like Manchester and Birmingham or into zones like the EU elections depending on which party you listen to. I'm not a massive fan personally, but it's looking like it won't be our choice (ironically in an agenda supposedly all about giving power back to the people).

Philosorapter

Shmmeee, the whole point of Democracy is to give the people who have a chance to vote in these local elections, a say on how they are governed. Otherwise it is what's known as a tyranny.

Democracy has two intrinsic natures which make it all worthwhile, Equality and Liberty. Which unfortunately the Labour Party in Coventry is choosing to ignore.

Sick Boy

Hate to break the circle jerk, but considering the hard on all the political parties have for devolution right now, if not Birmingham then who? Or should we be left out of it entirely?

The country is either going to be split up into city areas like Manchester and Birmingham or into zones like the EU elections depending on which party you listen to. I'm not a massive fan personally, but it's looking like it won't be our choice (ironically in an agenda supposedly all about giving power back to the people).

I'm a Labour voter but the way on which CCC behave is beyond belief sometimes. We live in a supposed democracy.

I wonder why Lucas doesn't want it to go to a referendum?

Philosorapter

I'm a Labour voter but the way on which CCC behave is beyond belief sometimes. We live in a supposed democracy.

I wonder why Lucas doesn't want it to go to a referendum?

Is it because she knows better?

Cant wait till the grass roots of the Labour Party in Coventry get their act together and get these clowns out of there.

oakey

No need for Coventry dwellers to worry about council tax. I live in a 3 bedroom house in a nice estate in the Dudley LEA and I pay £100 a month council tax. My folks in Coventry pay over £200 per month for a 4 bedroom house in similar area of eastern green. One bedroom more, an extra £1300 a year.

Brighton Sky Blue

The council isn't playing this very well. They should follow the SNP example and keep holding referenda until people are bored into voting for what you want.

wingy

Just been reading through the document leaked to the Telegraph.

Some good stuff in there. However, the people of Coventry need a referendum on it. This document proposes fundamental changes to the social contract which is far deeper than what has been discussed publicly at the moment. Also it suggests an elected mayor with powers to dictate to Coventry from outside her area. This in itself in my opinion would require a referendum. I am guessing the Labour party never mentioned any of this in their manifesto to the people of Coventry in the local elections, so they have no mandate from the people of Coventry to join this joint authority.

Could be interesting to see if any of this is challenged in Court.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/revealed-leaked-document-shows-full-10132487

We had one a couple of years ago Re:- the Metro Mayor.
This Is Gideons baby and his method to usurp democracy and accountability.
I really don't get their eagerness to fall into line for him.
They will be held accountable.for any cuts made through whatever level of funding he dean's we're. Worthy of IMO.

Philosorapter

The desire for Local Democracy must come from the people and not the Councils whom they represent. Otherwise its not Local Democracy but Authoritarian rule.

The only gauge we have at the moment of public opinion is the Telegraph poll which has put this around 80% - 20% against joining. The council when it debates this, will not be speaking for the people.

Last edited:

chiefdave

So voted through unanimously by the labour councillors , all conservatives voted against. Simon's been tweeting from the meeting, when you read whats going on you wonder how these people get in the position they are in.

Coventry has "never been part of Warwickshire" and praises defunct West Midlands County Council as "innovative" - thats our old friend Maton

Warwickshire staying out of CA "to save their own jobs" rather than acting in best interest of county - Lancaster (isn't saving jobs in the area a good thing for a council to be doing?)

Coun Lucas says Tory position of offering a referendum is a disgraceful tactic and "populist". Says she will do what's right, not popular. (clearly Lucas not a fan of democracy. I think i'd change the wording to I'll do what I want not what the voters want)

the average person on the street "doesn't give a monkeys" about the local council - Taylor

fernandopartridge

I hope these complete and utter disgraces to local government are defeated at the JR and, more importantly, hammered at the ballot box. To be followed by the removal of their stooge executive team.

Ranjit Bhurpa

So voted through unanimously by the labour councillors , all conservatives voted against. Simon's been tweeting from the meeting, when you read whats going on you wonder how these people get in the position they are in.

Coventry has "never been part of Warwickshire" and praises defunct West Midlands County Council as "innovative" - thats our old friend Maton

Warwickshire staying out of CA "to save their own jobs" rather than acting in best interest of county - Lancaster (isn't saving jobs in the area a good thing for a council to be doing?)

Coun Lucas says Tory position of offering a referendum is a disgraceful tactic and "populist". Says she will do what's right, not popular. (clearly Lucas not a fan of democracy. I think i'd change the wording to I'll do what I want not what the voters want)

the average person on the street "doesn't give a monkeys" about the local council - Taylor

I cannot believe the sheer arrogance of the dreadful Lucas woman, George Orwell's 1984 springs readily to mind.

chiefdave

Can't believe their attitude on this. They could at least try and make it look like there is some semblance of democracy in there but they're either telling us we've never been in Warks, are going to do what they want or we can't have a referendum as we're too stupid to understand the issue.

I'm not expecting honesty from people in positions like this but this is just blatant. The sad thing about the state of politics today is the vast majority will let it happen without saying a word. If there was ever any consequence to their actions things might be different.

Users who are viewing this thread