West Ham (1 Viewer)

katzenjammer

Just been in to buy tickets for the West Ham match and the lady in the Ticket Office told me West Ham have taken over 5,000 in the away end already.

Hopefully the atmosphere will be like Leeds last year (hopefully with a better result)

smileycov

Facebook User
With out a doubt west ham and leeds will also fill over 6k for this game. I should think most clubs now will look at us as a 3 pointer i am afraid. (including Donny!)

pusbccfc

Southampton will probably bring around 2500.
All three will be a joke because some fans will not make an effort and west ham will have 6000 there and there will only be 13000 in our end.

matesx

West Ham and Leeds have terrific support

far bigger clubs than us

Southampton will probably bring around 2500.
All three will be a joke because some fans will not make an effort and west ham will have 6000 there and there will only be 13000 in our end.

I think you're going a bit OTT there pal. 13,000 in our end..........no chance:facepalm:

ccfcway

West Ham, a team in 2nd, with their goal scorer last night on over 60k a week

Coventry, a team who havent finished in the top 6 of ANY league since before the majority of the SISU board were born.

How we get over 3k a week amazes me !

kg82

West Ham, a team in 2nd, with their goal scorer last night on over 60k a week

Coventry, a team who havent finished in the top 6 of ANY league since before the majority of the SISU board were born.

How we get over 3k a week amazes me !

Probably because we were in the top league for over 30 years.

changing-man

Probably because we were in the top league for over 30 years.

it doesnt matter what league you are in,if you spend year after year finishing near the bottom end of the league gates are gonna be poor....even after decent results against florist and leeds,the stay away fans knew it was odds on we werent gonna beat burnley.....as someone said,the fact we get 13000 amazes me after all the crap we have seen,not just the past 10 years but the past 30+ years...and yes i am a season ticket holder...

kg82

it doesnt matter what league you are in,if you spend year after year finishing near the bottom end of the league gates are gonna be poor....even after decent results against florist and leeds,the stay away fans knew it was odds on we werent gonna beat burnley.....as someone said,the fact we get 13000 amazes me after all the crap we have seen,not just the past 10 years but the past 30+ years...and yes i am a season ticket holder...

Nope, I was pointing out the reason we don't get 3000 is probably because we were in the top league for over 30 years. You may think that your theory is logical but the actual logic is that we were in the spotlight a lot for over 30 years and gaining fans, young and old, no matter how apathetic they were. THAT'S the reason we're not getting 3000.

kg82

Wigan were only elected to the football league in the 70's! They'll start getting a few more in maybe the next 10 years if they stay in the Prem but historically it's full of Rugby league, Man Utd and Liverpool fans.

changing-man

Nope, I was pointing out the reason we don't get 3000 is probably because we were in the top league for over 30 years. You may think that your theory is logical but the actual logic is that we were in the spotlight a lot for over 30 years and gaining fans, young and old, no matter how apathetic they were. THAT'S the reason we're not getting 3000.

sorry,but i never said we should be getting gates of 3000....i merely said 13000 die hards is not bad when you look at our history...its ok playing in the prem/div 1 week in week out,but when you,re getting beat most weeks,its hard to find the enthusiasm...no top 6 finish since 1970 just about says it all....

WillieStanley

I think compared to the size of the city 13000 is awful. But there is truth in what you say about success breeding apathy. I know so many who, 3 years ago, you wouldn't have dreamt they'd rather stay at home... But they've been dropping like flies!

kg82

sorry,but i never said we should be getting gates of 3000....i merely said 13000 die hards is not bad when you look at our history...its ok playing in the prem/div 1 week in week out,but when you,re getting beat most weeks,its hard to find the enthusiasm...no top 6 finish since 1970 just about says it all....

No, you didn't, but my original post was arguing why we don't get 3000 like ccfcway said! Like Willie says, a city of this size should be getting bigger crowds (you can use excuses, the people of Coventry do that well!) but, fundamentally, there are things more important on a Saturday than watching Coventry City. That's what it boils down to.

stupot07

But it's not just the size of coventry, I'd include warwickshire as part of the ccfc catchment area. That's 300k+ population in cov, and 550k+ in Warwickshire.

The club haven't done enough to attract fans for years, especially from outside coventry.

sky_blue_up_north

It's all about a winning side, when we get relegated this season, if we start off like a rocket in Division One out gates will actually rise as well out away support. I can guarantee if we get promoted from Division One we will have home gates of at least 22/23K will an away following of 3 easy. A winning side is the only way to get the fans back

ccfcway

got chatting to a taxi driver in Glasgow last week who was a Rangers fan.

He said despite being a season ticket holder, his interest had wavered in the past few years due to the quality of football.

"It costs me way over £100 to take the boys with me on a saturday and we watched a dire 0-0 last week. So, this week I took them away for the weekend and we booked a hotel, had a meal and a few beers and it still cost less than going to the footy. Your not guaranteed entertainment at the football, so why bother anymore"

And thats a Rangers fan, so I can see why people are considering not going anymore.

football is not a working class sport anymore.

prices have priced out your normal fan especially in the current climate. i know many people who cant afford it.

kg82

football is not a working class sport anymore.

prices have priced out your normal fan especially in the current climate. i know many people who cant afford it.

Yup, correcto. The quality of football may have something to do with it but people have been turning up to football matches in their thousands despite that for years. This is the variable that's changed, the prices.

Macca, what bigger city teams don't get decent crowds? Apart from teams in the lower divisions that are in the catchment area of any big cities I can't think of many, if any.

stupot07

Wasn't there something in the papers about crowds in general being down? Villa aren't getting the crowds they were 2 seasons ago.

joemercersaces

There's no mystery or mysticism to it. West Ham will have a big following because it's easy to get to from London, there's a big away end and they expect to win. Let me pose two scenarios. 1. It is two years hence and West Ham are still in this league, have sold all their star players, are heavily in debt and struggling. How many would they bring then ? 2. It's two years time, our youngsters are still with us and we're having a cracking start to the season, sweeping all before us. We're going to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday and can have the whole away end. How many thousand would we take ?

Answers 1 - About 900 to 1300.
2 - 5000 plus.

Momentum builds up with a winning team. Oddly enough people seem to consider that winning teams play attractive football. How do we feel walking home from a win compared to how we feel walking home after a defeat ? Eventually the latter wears you down to the point where you feel 'why bother ?'. That desire to go again would soon come back if the team started winning week in week out it's just that it's never really happened for us in the forty years I've been going.

Visitinghammer

Hi Coventry fans. West Ham fan here in peace. Talking about the numbers of fans that will be visiting the Ricoh on the 19th November. Original allocation was 4300 which sold straight away. Another 2000 tickets were released at Thursday there was a couple of hundred left. West Ham forum is saying Coventry are releasing tickets in batches of 2000 up to 10000. Where would 10000 away fans be seated?

kg82

10000!!! Ah, SISU have a new ploy to make money!!

If you get 10000 fans up here then you can sit anywhere you like!! But it will most likely be behind the goal and to the left as you look down the ground. And yes, you'll have more than us there!!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Heard from a West Ham supporting friend that they have pretty much sold out the 6k...

Will Cov fans now turn up for this one like the Leeds game last year or still stay away? Should make a great atmosphere!

Marty

10,000??? don't have the space to fit them all in unless we close the blocks down to about 18 for home fans and give them to the away lot, should go down a treat with all the ST holders in that section.

rob9872

FFS don't suggest that to the board Fred because if they can then they will

smileycov

Facebook User
According to West midlands police, The Hammers have only sold 3,000 so far. They are expecting 4,500 in total!!

Users who are viewing this thread