We're Not Frightened Of Anyone - Thorn (1 Viewer)

city old boy

More from City boss at Press Conference
Coventry City manager Andy Thorn has said that City are not frightened of any one.
Having played every team in the division, it is clear that the Championship this season is not the strongest it has ever been and the teams are pretty much of a muchness and if the Sky Blues had put away their chances and not made errors in defence then they would be safely in the top half of the table instead of being adrift at the bottom.

It's no wonder we're a joke club with Thorn coming out with statement's like this.

If we had won 11 of he games we've lost scored three times more goals not conceded as many we would be top of the league. see anybody can make it up.

The bottom line is the league position tells the story.

Bloodnut1964

What do you expect him to say then?
Maybe he should tell the truth and say something like "my players are useless and we are doomed"
He wants to keep his job just like everyone else does in this day and age. if I go in tomorrow and tell my board exactly what I think I am sure I would be selling "the big issue" pretty soon!!

Paxman II

The back line is not so bad tbf and the problem Thorn needs to highlight as a stand alone problem is the attack! had we scored a few then we would be mid table easily.

Nick

Administrator
What do you expect him to say then?
Maybe he should tell the truth and say something like "my players are useless and we are doomed"
He wants to keep his job just like everyone else does in this day and age. if I go in tomorrow and tell my board exactly what I think I am sure I would be selling "the big issue" pretty soon!!

He doesn't need to go quite so OTT though I don't think!

Skybluedar

He is trying to motivate the team. Any manager in his position, who cared, would do the same thing. We are only a goal or two away from being a team capable of at least surviving the drop. With all the teams around us suffering embarrassing defeats most weeks, and us going down to the odd goal, it has to give us some impetus with the number of games left to play and points to be won. I just hope he can turn it round as the number of wins required is a lot, however it is amazing what a little run would do for the team, the fans and everything else.

Disorganised1

I'm scared of Leicester - they're ugly and they have hairy palms.

coop

And if my gran had had bollocks she would off been my grandad get real AT your tactics are shit and clueless people moan about Clingan saying he doesn't create and always pass's square then play him at the tip of your great formation and see the difference.

Sky Blue Sheepy

We actually have one of the best defenses in the league. The problem is midfield and attack - most notable by the fact our best chances come from our 2 left backs down the flanks!

If one of our strikers could put balls away we'd be safe easily. So hopefully one of these new forwards we've brought in/got on trial can do the business.

Stoppercurtis

I agree with Bloodnut and Skybluedar. He has to put a positive spin on it. The truth is that if we had retained Malon King we would be mid table. But we musn't give up on this division because it will not be a cake walk to get back to it.

Stopper

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Who should we be 'scared of' then?

We lost to Saints at home 4-2, but since put up a good showing in the cup
West Ham beat us at home 2-1, but we were only beaten 1-0 at Upton Park
We held Cardiff to a draw
We drew at 'Boro

That's your top 4 teams. I don't think we should be 'scared' of any of those given recent results. Haven't been dicked have we? I may not be confident we'll beat them - but that's a world away from being scared of them.

And what if Thorn had come out and stated that there are some teams in the league who stand head and shoulders above us, and we needn't bother turning up? There'd be certain people on here who's blood pressure would turn them the colour of pickled beetroot, and would stampede all and sundry out of the way to get to their keyboards to berate his for defeatism.

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't....

torchomatic

I agree MMM. He should be positive, we all should be a little bit more positive. Ok, it might be a bit like pissing in the wind or shouting in the dark (choose which analogy you prefer), but I do think we have something to be positive about. We're not getting hammered week-in, week-out but losing by the old stupid goal, so hopefully HH can help there. If we can just improve our strikeforce and midfield then I think we can pull clear.

CUS Wyken

I agree MMM. He should be positive, we all should be a little bit more positive. Ok, it might be a bit like pissing in the wind or shouting in the dark (choose which analogy you prefer), but I do think we have something to be positive about. We're not getting hammered week-in, week-out but losing by the old stupid goal, so hopefully HH can help there. If we can just improve our strikeforce and midfield then I think we can pull clear.

Yes we should be more positive and that should be the same on the pitch with the mentality of the players. Too many sideward and backward passing. Not enough urgency.

I’d rather this second half of the season be far more attacking in our style of play. Go out to games and attack.. if we lose 3-1 then at least we had a go rather than losing 1-0 and saying oh we were close though.

Draws are not good enough, its wins and attacking football. In my eyes were far too negative.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Being serious here; I think the second half of the season should - with the arrival of new players - give a different dynamic to the team. Think about the resources to date. Jutkiewicz was a fine player, but better at playing with his back to goal and holding the ball up. In other words, the ball is played forward and we're then waiting for other players to join the game from deeper. Perhaps McSheffrey or Baker - who are okay, but not the most pacey in the division.

Thorn is obviously, from recent comments, looking for agility and pace. To attack space and stretch play. As such, I think you will see our style of play alter accordingly. Juke was our best striker, by a mile, but the way he liked to play the game gave rise to a less pacey, attacking game than we'll hopefully now see

torchomatic

If it comes down to goal difference then a few 1-0s will be better than a few 3-1s. I agree we should attack more, but not go out gun-ho and then get hammered. We'd just have more people moaning about AT even more then, wouldn't we? :thinking about:

We need to find a right balance, which is why I'm hoping that HH can stop us conceding stupid goals so we can try and win a few games.

Yes we should be more positive and that should be the same on the pitch with the mentality of the players. Too many sideward and backward passing. Not enough urgency.

I’d rather this second half of the season be far more attacking in our style of play. Go out to games and attack.. if we lose 3-1 then at least we had a go rather than losing 1-0 and saying oh we were close though.

Draws are not good enough, its wins and attacking football. In my eyes were far too negative.

wingy

Cus i'd have to say there has already been a shift from the slow sideways /backwards passing in the last five or six games ,not that its entirely wrong to retain possession ,but theres also been another change in the tempo we play at,but its been the outball /killer pass thats been a let down for most of the season,apart obviously from our few successes where we bossed a few games ,Whats changed ,there seems to be more movement,instead of static,waiting for the ball ,a lot more pass and go.

city old boy

Some good points being made
we had a striker who scored 9 goals from limited chances would king have scored any more i'm not certain. As i see it we play a formation that creates very little because the lack of width and exposes the fullbacks when they get forward. The midfield has been desperate all season but Thorn does nothing about it.

Nonleagueherewecome

The back line is not so bad tbf and the problem Thorn needs to highlight as a stand alone problem is the attack! had we scored a few then we would be mid table easily.

He also highlighted that, many times, in the past. He said we "didn't take our chances, they took theirs" just last week. He also spoke in the past about how if you don't score, 0-0 is the best result you can get and you need to be very good indeed at the back to get away with that every week. The board responded by selling our only goalscorer! :facepalm:

Nonleagueherewecome

Being serious here; I think the second half of the season should - with the arrival of new players - give a different dynamic to the team. Think about the resources to date. Jutkiewicz was a fine player, but better at playing with his back to goal and holding the ball up. In other words, the ball is played forward and we're then waiting for other players to join the game from deeper. Perhaps McSheffrey or Baker - who are okay, but not the most pacey in the division.

Thorn is obviously, from recent comments, looking for agility and pace. To attack space and stretch play. As such, I think you will see our style of play alter accordingly. Juke was our best striker, by a mile, but the way he liked to play the game gave rise to a less pacey, attacking game than we'll hopefully now see

We actually created more chances against Saints in the cup with ROD & Sheff up front than we have all season with Juke. For all his limitations, ROD's pace meant we stretched the opposition and they had to sit 5-10 yards deeper-as emphasised when he went off and they promptly stepped back forwards and swamped us.

Stevec189

We're Not Frightened Of Anyone - Thorn

And Andy i can assure you no-one is frightened of us

The Rev
What a good job you are not giving the press confrences then! What do people expect from a pre match press conference? We are scarred of everyone we play and shouldn't bother turning up! Get real

PUSB

shmmeee

We actually created more chances against Saints in the cup with ROD & Sheff up front than we have all season with Juke. For all his limitations, ROD's pace meant we stretched the opposition and they had to sit 5-10 yards deeper-as emphasised when he went off and they promptly stepped back forwards and swamped us.

Missed the saints game but that gives me some hope today with Nimley in the side.

We've lacked pace up top for ages. Even if he is shit it might give the others room to play.

The Reverend Skyblue

What a good job you are not giving the press confrences then! What do people expect from a pre match press conference? We are scarred of everyone we play and shouldn't bother turning up! Get real

PUSB
Please read again. I did'nt criticise Thorn in anyway, and i did'nt say what he had to say in his conference in any way, but i gave what i thought was an obvious reply to his quote.
Jeez bloody relax, we won on saturday

The Rev

Tankie

I agree with Andy Thorn
36_1_55.gif
We've looked as good as anyone this season, except for Ipswich away, no Team looks like it can swamp us, unlike other seasons,I feel we are in a false position, considering our performances, the game against Middlesborough was another good example of how much we have improved as a footballing side, I'm enjoying my visits to the Ricoh this season and maybe I'm in the minority, but I for one, thank Andy Thorn and his cobbled together team, for a Far better viewing experience.
Ok....Fire Away...

Moff

I agree with Andy Thorn
36_1_55.gif
We've looked as good as anyone this season, except for Ipswich away, no Team looks like it can swamp us, unlike other seasons,I feel we are in a false position, considering our performances, the game against Middlesborough was another good example of how much we have improved as a footballing side, I'm enjoying my visits to the Ricoh this season and maybe I'm in the minority, but I for one, thank Andy Thorn and his cobbled together team, for a Far better viewing experience.
Ok....Fire Away...

Even for Bed'uff its a bit early to be on the pop already Tankie, or is it those special pink tablets? :laugh:

(Only joking Tankie! respect as ever)

Astute

I agree with Andy Thorn
36_1_55.gif
Ok....Fire Away...

Our only problem is we play better than our opponents for half the game, then they play better than us for the other half. Now with Nimely we can score goals whilst on top. Just shows the difference having a player running at our opponents can make. All our side now seem to be much more confident going forward. Just hope we can keep it up.

We just beat a team near the top of the table 3-1. We have 2 new players. If we can keep it up it will be our opponents worried about us.

TBF our team has never looked worried about any of our opponents this season. If they were then we would have got hammered a few times through trying to defend from the kickoff.

covcity4life

considering we have lost most of the games by just one goal i think its fair to say we shouldnt be scared of anyone in this league

if we can recify a few problems we can win majority of our remaining games

wether we do that or not is another thing,but scared? we have a thin inexperienced squad yet only been hammered once,whats to be scared off?

Users who are viewing this thread