Wembley Pitch (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

2nd Tier Podcast:

2 x Chmpionship Play-Off shows. Worth a listen.

One point made was that the likes of Gyo and Haymer were going to be doing a lot of running around at Wembley.

The point loses traction in looking at the pitch sizes. I think it suits our game. There has always been an issue of Luton playing on a small/wide pitch

Coventry Arena. 120 x 68

Luton. 110 X 72

Wembley. 115 x 74

Interesting tips for winners.

Happy_Martian

The point loses traction in looking at the pitch sizes. I think it suits our game. There has always been an issue of Luton playing on a small/wide pitch

Coventry Arena. 120 x 68

Luton. 110 X 72

Wembley. 115 x 74

Interesting tips for winners.

This is something I raised in one of the other threads. Our pitch is longer than Wembley and Lutons but is the narrowest of the three. For comparison, Wembley and Stadium of Light are the same size. So if we play well on a narrower pitch than Luton, that should theoretically put us at a bigger disadvantage.

napolimp

This is something I raised in one of the other threads. Our pitch is longer than Wembley and Lutons but is the narrowest of the three. For comparison, Wembley and Stadium of Light are the same size. So if we play well on a narrower pitch than Luton, that should theoretically put us at a bigger disadvantage.

I think Luton will enjoy the width, when it comes to getting balls into the box.

Happy_Martian

I think Luton will enjoy the width, when it comes to getting balls into the box.

From what I've seen so far, they don't play regular wingers. Alfie Doughty plays almost as a wingback on the left and (I think) Amari Bell does the same on the right. The only thing the pitch could help us with is the length. Our players are used to running longer distances due to our longer pitch. Yes, it may only be 10 yards difference in length but over the course of 90 minutes in heat, that mounts up and will take it's toll. So our fitness levels could be key to winning some of the battles out there.

gazza

Where did you get the size for our pitch from?

From Chatgpt-

The size of Coventry City Football Club's pitch at their home stadium, the Coventry Building Society Arena (formerly known as the Ricoh Arena), is approximately 105 meters (115 yards) long and 68 meters (74 yards) wide. This is the standard size for a professional football pitch as defined by the laws of the game.

gazza

Luton Town Football Club's home stadium, Kenilworth Road, has a relatively smaller pitch compared to some other stadiums. The dimensions of the pitch at Kenilworth Road are approximately 100 meters (110 yards) long and 64 meters (70 yards) wide. It is important to note that while the dimensions fall within the guidelines set by the laws of the game, individual stadiums may have slight variations in size.

gazza

The pitch at Wembley Stadium, located in London, is known for its iconic size. The dimensions of the pitch at Wembley are 105 meters (115 yards) long and 68 meters (74 yards) wide, which is the same size as the Coventry City pitch I mentioned earlier.

napolimp

From what I've seen so far, they don't play regular wingers. Alfie Doughty plays almost as a wingback on the left and (I think) Amari Bell does the same on the right. The only thing the pitch could help us with is the length. Our players are used to running longer distances due to our longer pitch. Yes, it may only be 10 yards difference in length but over the course of 90 minutes in heat, that mounts up and will take it's toll. So our fitness levels could be key to winning some of the battles out there.

OK I did it, something really f**kin sad: -

1684941439279.png

All I can say is that is a weird set of data. Luton haven't lost an away league game this season on a pitch 114 yards or shorter, but have an awful record on pitches 115 yards in length.

Good omen? Probably not, but anything to make me feel better.

Brighton Sky Blue

OK I did it, something really f**kin sad: -

View attachment 29932

All I can say is that is a weird set of data. Luton haven't lost an away league game this season on a pitch 114 yards or shorter, but have an awful record on pitches 115 yards in length.

Good omen? Probably not, but anything to make me feel better.

We conceded inside a minute against them in the home game

oscillatewildly

Anyone remember the 'fact' about (old) Wembley's turf coming from Scotland?
I'm sure commentators (usually Cup Final day) used to run that one out.

Flying Fokker

From Chatgpt-

The size of Coventry City Football Club's pitch at their home stadium, the Coventry Building Society Arena (formerly known as the Ricoh Arena), is approximately 105 meters (115 yards) long and 68 meters (74 yards) wide. This is the standard size for a professional football pitch as defined by the laws of the game.
Gazza, you are right.

The City and Wembley 115 x 75. Yds

Luton 110 x 72 yds

The pitch size changes from time to time.

I thought the points made in the podcast were weak. If any team is likely to gain it is us, due to our regular gameplay.

Luton’s small pitch and stadium create a totally different vibe to Wembley. It will affect both teams but I think we will adjust ok.

Last edited:

Happy_Martian

Correct CBS pitch is the same size as Wembley. OP has differing dimensions in yards and metres.

Not doubting your info but where did you get those figures ? I've looked through Google at various sites and 120x68 is the size given for our pitch.

Flying Fokker

Not doubting your info but where did you get those figures ? I've looked through Google at various sites and 120x68 is the size given for our pitch.
I saw that as well. It’s changed over the years. I remember seeing the pitch lines at the start of seasons

Last edited:

shmmeee

From Chatgpt-

I wouldnt use GPT for factual queries just yet. Even though it’s right this time.

rob9872

I've been telling myself similar all week, but to throw a spanner in the works somewhat ... if Luton are set up to play on their very different pitch, their away record in the league this season was 11-8-4, 41 points and only 2nd to Burnley so I think we need to treat that advantage with caution.

AJB1983

I think it’s a bit of a red herring, and almost an optical illusion anyway.
I’ve heard people (and ex-pro’s - albeit one was Michael Owen so….) go on about the ‘massive pitch’ at place like the nou camp and Wembley etc and they’re the same size as ours….
I reckon they look bigger cos of the bowl shape of the bigger stadiums, rather than tight grounds like Luton, and even arguably the Ricoh.

not sure a few yards here or there is going to make a massive amount of difference.

Sky Blue Pete

I think it’s a bit of a red herring, and almost an optical illusion anyway.
I’ve heard people (and ex-pro’s - albeit one was Michael Owen so….) go on about the ‘massive pitch’ at place like the nou camp and Wembley etc and they’re the same size as ours….
I reckon they look bigger cos of the bowl shape of the bigger stadiums, rather than tight grounds like Luton, and even arguably the Ricoh.

not sure a few yards here or there is going to make a massive amount of difference.
Not a massive difference but it clearly makes some difference

Users who are viewing this thread