Welcome to the shadowplay (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I have to be totally honest and say that the week end of the Wembley Final I am scheduled to be abroad.

However, although the flight is booked and fully refundable I doubt i
will be bothering to change my plans.

To me artificial jubilation in this car crash of a season would seem entirely pointless. I do get the fact that if families have young children then there will be excitement, however to me applauding and celebrating performers who have abjectly failed in their performance is too much.

The paradox of the whole day is that I suspect most attendees want the Wembley final more than survival as this will be the one off appearance for them both this and next season.

I'd have preferred a last minute winner for Wycombe and survival but will be in the minority.

However, my next comment is genuine and I believe important. Heritage and past glories do count for something. Memories of good times and success should be recognised.

So for this shadow play the only club employee who knows success should lead the stage.

Steve Ogrizovich should lead the team out at Wembley

hill83

t8IHP.gif

Otis

I have to be totally honest and say that the week end of the Wembley Final I am scheduled to be abroad.

To me artificial jubilation in this car crash of a season would seem entirely pointless. I do get the fact that if families have young children then there will be excitement, however to me applauding and celebrating performers who have abjectly failed in their performance is too much.

The paradox of the whole day is that I suspect most attendees want the Wembley final more than survival as this will be the one off appearance for them both this and next season.

I'd have preferred a last minute winner for Wycombe and survival but will be in the minority.

However, my next comment is genuine and I believe important. Heritage and past glories do count for something. Memories of good times and success should be recognised.

So for this shadow play the only club employee who knows success should lead the stage.

I would prefer survival to Wembley any day of the week.

Think people were preferring Wembley on the whole because we look all but doomed and incredibly unlikely to survive.

If you believe we are going down anyway, then Wembley is all we've got.

Super Graham Withey

Agree with that. I wanted to go to back Wembley proud of my team.

oucho

For once, Grendel, you are absolutely right. Sum up my own feelings perfectly.

dongonzalos

And the twist In your statement heritage and past glories do count for something.

What if those who enjoyed Wembley in 87 for both the FA cup and the charity shield. Want to do it again after 30 years?

What for those who missed out and want to experience it for the first time?

What for those whose only enjoyment for supporting the team is getting close to play offs 2 times in ten years want to celebrate something for real for once?

Those same fans want to stay up, they want to do better than that, they want to win division three.
They know that because of our owners we are one possibly two leagues, about to be three leagues below where we should be.

So firstly bollox to your attack on our fans who deserve their potential one day of success in 10 years.
Secondly I agree Oggy should do it.

ecky

Grendel, the Wembley appearance is as well as relegation not instead of, we are definitely
Going down, just be nice to have a proper day out with family and the SBA.
Honestly couldn't care less what the score is on the day.
It's all we have left from a long sad sorry affair

Calista

My head agrees with you Grendel. But my heart is so happy at the prospect of a day at Wembley trying to win a trophy, with my family all there and up to 40,000 people supporting the Sky Blues. We’ve had next to nothing for at least 15 years, arguably 30. It’s not just “families with young children”, it’s families with OLD children!! For thousands of City fans below about 30, it’s the first time they’ve had any chance to celebrate and feel the positivity of a city behind its team.

The fact is, a lot of clubs entered this cup, and we’ve got all the way to the final. So (with all due respect) my message to those who are tempted to try and devalue the day, is please just hold your tongues, for the sake of all the fans young and old who are up for it. I’m definitely one of the old ‘uns, but I intend to forget everything else that’s going on and party like it’s 1967 or 1987. League 2 will be the hangover, but I’ll deal with that when it comes, not before.

stevefloyd

I agree and you are right why should we applaud should we happen to win if this bunch are relegated.. 100% agree that i would take survival over the Wembley distraction and I would agree to Oggy leading out the team as long as he fucked off after

NortonSkyBlue

If we could guarantee avoiding relegation then I would take that over a trip to Wembley even for the FA cup final but that's not realistic so we should take whatever crumbs are on the table.
I am sure that a day out will be enjoyed but the bitter taste of relegation is still going to be there.

bawtryneal

Whilst I agree with your sentiments Grendel it does give an opportunity to "showcase" to the world what a great bunch of supporters we are and that with investment from professional and well intentioned owners we could return to the Championship and long term the Premier League with a solid fan base.
I will go to Wembley,as I attended the semi final, but like the comments above I don't really care if we win or not. This car crash of a season,as you describe it, is just an extension of the last 10 years with only a couple of 6 month respite periods of any positive nature.

bawtryneal

PS. Don't agree with you regarding Oggy. Has been a great servant to the club but has been rewarded well for 20 odd years. The manager, whoever he is and what ever his popularity, should walk the team out

Macca

Not sure I buy the "great bunch of supporters thing. The 7,000 that still go are awesome. The other 33,000 that don't probably have been great supporters at some point but not now. Put myself in that bracket to be fair. Any potential investors aren't going to be hoodwinked by 30,000 middle aged blokes in Talbot tops having a nostalgic piss up

Gazolba

<snip>.

It always seems odd to me when someone lauds a player and yet cannot spell their name right.

bawtryneal

Not sure I buy the "great bunch of supporters thing. The 7,000 that still go are awesome. The other 33,000 that don't probably have been great supporters at some point but not now. Put myself in that bracket to be fair. Any potential investors aren't going to be hoodwinked by 30,000 middle aged blokes in Talbot tops having a nostalgic piss up

But the 33,000 middle aged men in Talbot tops will get their fat arses up the Ricoh if they lay on some entertaining football and show some long term planning, proper communication and winning mentality from board room to the pitch.

Covstu

I would prefer survival to Wembley any day of the week.

Think people were preferring Wembley on the whole because we look all but doomed and incredibly unlikely to survive.

If you believe we are going down anyway, then Wembley is all we've got.
I know what Grendel is saying in that it feels false to have a big day out after such a shocking season. I agree that i would take survival but I think a lot wouldn't (probably most that want the club liquidated). It's the long term future of the club that is the essential part not a day out.

Given that we are well and truly fooked anyway, this is all we can all hang onto

Covstu

But the 33,000 middle aged men in Talbot tops will get their fat arses up the Ricoh if they lay on some entertaining football and show some long term planning, proper communication and winning mentality from board room to the pitch.
They won't though will they! We have never had a decent level of support in this city even in the 90s when we were flying. I think we would get no more than 7-10k of that grouping

Macca

Don't think they will, the premiership entertainers of 2000 couldn't fill 23k every week

lifeskyblue

Yes league position over checkatrade final any day but I will be at Wembley with my son...and the wife will tag along. Why? Because we are ccfc and son and I are fans. Is checkatrade meaningless? No because realistically it is the only cup competition we entered this season that we had a realistic prospect of making the final.
Am I devastated we will be relegated? Yes...owners, managers, players have let the club and fans down. I won't think of those at Wembley in 2017 as ccfc legends as I do every player of 1987.
Most importantly for me though is the question of whether we have a club in a year or two. I can accept we are going down. I can accept disappointment week in and week out with defeats. I can even accept the club is at the lowest point in its history playing the worst football I can remember in 51years of following them. What I can't accept is that this may be the last or last but one year the club exists.

PUSB

Grendel

It always seems odd to me when someone lauds a player and yet cannot spell their name right.

I couldn't be bothered to correct it - I'll do it now.

Gosford Green

I'd swap the cup wins for league wins and safety. I'm really still very underwhelmed and the once every 2 year fans that crawl out the woodwork iratate me more than ever.

Yes I'll be at Wembley, it'll be a day out with my eldest son who's only suffered as a CCFC fan. But I can't enthuse too much about all things CCFC, thanks to L2, JR2 and the possibility that we will not have anywhere to play in 12 months, and let's not forget SISU and Fisher will still be here win or lose on the day.

The club are supposed to be trousering £450k from this cup jaunt which will probably sort Joy out with a new handbag.

skybluericoh

I think the idea of Oggy leading the team out is a great Idea. Don't think it will happen more chance of it being Tim Fisher!

I'm glad they are going, as even though I refuse to go to games myself while we have the current owners, I have never, and never will be please with a city loss, hence I want them to win every game including, not instead of the EFL trophy.

My kids have never seen any success for the city and as tempted as I might be to take them to Wembley, I have told them you're old enough to go on your own, and do so and have a great day. The same sentiment I have for all the fans that go.

Sadly I see us not only being relegated this season, but struggling next as well, maybe even straight through to non-league. Those who were not around in the heady days then this could be your only chance of a big day out with the city. Enjoy it! If it is anything like '87 it will live with you forever!

I was eleven in 87

Relegation is coming and I just wish it could happen sooner so we can start building for next season NOW.
Blood more youngsters like Lawton and the Kelly-Evans twins because let's face it we are not going to buy players or pay money for out of contract decent players.

I want a new manager in with a record of working well in the lower leagues and a clearing of our own first team coaching decks.

As for Wembley, well I am going because I was 11 when we won the FA Cup and my Dad couldn't get us tickets and so I sat crying with joy on the sofa watching it in my full kit. (Yes I was a full kit wanker back then!!)
I am taking my wife and going with mates as I want her to see what a show us Cov fans will put on, tin pot cup or not.
My wife hated football until we met when we were teenagers and then I forced her to come with me and watch Cov games up Highfield Rd. It will never be the same as those days but I am looking forward to it because I just do not think it will ever happen again in my lifetime.

As they say, memories are memories, good or bad and they can never be taken away from you.

NortonSkyBlue

Relegation is coming and I just wish it could happen sooner so we can start building for next season NOW.
Blood more youngsters like Lawton and the Kelly-Evans twins because let's face it we are not going to buy players or pay money for out of contract decent players.

I want a new manager in with a record of working well in the lower leagues and a clearing of our own first team coaching decks.

As for Wembley, well I am going because I was 11 when we won the FA Cup and my Dad couldn't get us tickets and so I sat crying with joy on the sofa watching it in my full kit. (Yes I was a full kit wanker back then!!)
I am taking my wife and going with mates as I want her to see what a show us Cov fans will put on, tin pot cup or not.
My wife hated football until we met when we were teenagers and then I forced her to come with me and watch Cov games up Highfield Rd. It will never be the same as those days but I am looking forward to it because I just do not think it will ever happen again in my lifetime.

As they say, memories are memories, good or bad and they can never be taken away from you.
So many were wanting Russell Slade as he was perceived to have the attributes you want in a league 1 & 2 manager. That didn't work out well did it?
I have read on here that so many family are being wheeled out for the day I suspect that half or more of us will be looking at the other half waiting for the show you talk about to begin. I hope your wife enjoys the occasion.
Have faith my fellow Sky Blue - the good days will return and when they do we will have to enjoy them more than we did before, when we took for granted that we were regulars in the big league and were complacent.
We should have been loving every minute of it.

davebart

I don't begrudge anyone going. Enjoy the occasion. There have been too few to enjoy.
I doubt there will be 40K there though. There are an awful lot of us feel like Grendel.
Don't agree that Oggy should lead the team out. Are they there because of anything he has done?

Ranjit Bhurpa

Your highlighted comment is, I believe, a very important point. Whilst I plan to be at Wembley with my CCFC supporting son who was born after 1987, I will also be remembering with affection my grandad and dad who got me interested in CCFC in the first place, both of whom watched the City in all six divisions and a family association with the Club stretching back over 90+ years.

Our heritage embraces too few periods of success, so whether it's the FA Cup or Checkatrade Trophy, surely a Wembley appearance should be enjoyed and treasured by us all?

Regarding league form, our heritage tells us we are a cyclical club with no divine right to be in any division. If SBT had been around in the 1950's, what would posters back then have thought of our sliding down the Divisions culminating in our founder membership of the Fourth Division, whilst maybe fondly remembering the promotion near misses to the First Division just before the War? Also worth noting our then record crowd of nearly 45,000 in 1938 was followed at the next home match by only 22,000. Were they talking about glory fans back then I wonder?

And in keeping with our heritage, stick together during the lean times, fully embrace success whenever it comes along and hope that one day the better times will return.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Understand what you are saying Grendel, do not see why Oggy should get special mention though its not like he hasn't been closely involved in what has gone on with the team over more than a decade

Would I prefer staying in L1 well yes, but it is increasingly unlikely so why not just enjoy a day out in London watching our team on one of the best known football venues in the world

To me the Wembley day out is not so much about supporting a failing team, but having quality time and a few beers with my son. Had he not been interested in going I would have stayed at home to be honest.

As he said to me "win or lose it will be fun" ...... that's good enough reason to go with him for me

Sky Blue Harry H

Grendel, the Wembley appearance is as well as relegation not instead of, we are definitely
Going down, just be nice to have a proper day out with family and the SBA.
Honestly couldn't care less what the score is on the day.

I'll only say 'couldn't care less' what the score is, if we lose. If we put on an embarrassing show, it will take the edge off the day. Win, and it WILL be a great experience (yes, we have to face the reality of where we areas a club afterwards) but iif we are trounced, it will be a rude reminder to those of us who care passionately about the club, of where we are at. Need the day to go well for the fanbase in general ( a bad performance willself- justify the 'day out' supporters why they don't turn up any more, whereas a great day may just turn a few back around.

The Reverend Skyblue

That's a good post from Grendel, why applaud these lazy layabouts who have given nothing all season.
They have all brought great shame on our once great club, that includes all the staff and players ,and it does seem hypocritical to go and cheer on these pub standard players for the day.
I am actually going to think on this , so disgusted I am with all that have worn our famous shirt this season.

Adge

I get that aswell. People always spouting on about " we need to support the lads" etc etc.
Like they'll give a monkeys when we have been relegated and most of them have turfed off not giving us a second thought.

External voice here, feel free to ignore if you want. Back in 2000 Stoke were penniless, in the third tier and renting the then Britannia Stadium. As a lad I watched my team lift the Micky Mouse trophy at the old Wembley. Having been too young to watch us win a 'proper' top tier trophy at Wembley I lapped up the whole cup final experience and Stoke vs Bristol City was the highest attendance at Wembley all season, Mickey Mouse competition or not. So, for gods sake, go and enjoy yourselves and take your kids. It's miserable down in the lower leagues, so grab your brighter moments while you can. It may be decades before you are back where you belong, as it was for us. Make hay while the sun shines.

Users who are viewing this thread