Webster's defending (1 Viewer)

Kingokings204

The bit I hate most about him is when he stupidly gives these stupid free kicks away just outside the box. It's infuriates me. Does it all the time.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Defence has been pretty solid lately but yesterday was back to the Coventry way, Martin and Webster just staring at each other whilst Williams nips between them to score the first.

Third goal was embarrassing, Webster appears to trip over his own feet on the through ball. Then Martin lets the through ball go past him when all he has to do is stick a leg out, runs back and Allsop and Martin go for the same ball and Martin scoops it away from Allsop into the path of Obika for an open goal.

I've watched the first goal over and over again. You can definitely hear someone on the pitch shout "Leave it" as the ball is crossed over and Martin then makes no attempt to head it clear although he could have quite easily. I'm presuming it was the Swindon player who shouted it as Webster was nowhere near to getting to the ball first. Martin then turns round to Webster and puts his arms out in exasperation and (I'm guessing here) says to Webster "why did you say leave it?"

Speedies_Chips

If the Swindon player just said 'leave it', and didnt say 'Williams ball' , that should be a free kick to us (if the ref heard it). Or is that a rule from my childhood that doesnt exist anymore?

Either way, Webster or Martin, should ignore any shouts of 'leave it', and just take control of the situation.

Conclusion - They are both sh*te.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If the Swindon player just said 'leave it', and didnt say 'Williams ball' , that should be a free kick to us (if the ref heard it). Or is that a rule from my childhood that doesnt exist anymore?

Either way, Webster or Martin, should ignore any shouts of 'leave it', and just take control of the situation.

Conclusion - They are both sh*te.

If I was Martin and thought I'd heard Webster call for it, I would have done the opposite and tried my all to get anything on that ball knowing if I didn't, Webster might be called into action!

Bit like keepers shouting to claim the ball. Shout for it, if your own man ignores you, go and win it anyway, taking your own man out in te process if you need to :)

Evo1883

Pressley is definitley sleeping with webster , its theonly explanation as to how he made the starting 11 on monday , woefully slow , terrible distribution , seems like an arrogant tit aswel , doesnt help when your manager makes him out to be maldini either

LB87ccfc

Hes a fucking liability and has been at fault for numerous goals since he been here, hes an absolute weak link and has a go at everyone around him but himself when its him who fucks up.

He was the same at hearts fucking useless.

Evo1883

Pressley when he findsout webster is unfit
Image from http://jonas.blog.siol.net/files/2010/03/the-kubrick-stare-shining-4.jpg.
imagepng

PVA

I mentioned this in both the match thread and the player ratings thread and did not get a decent answer on either occasion.

Why is Webster getting all the stick when Martin is much worse? Just have a look at the highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyV9tlj2Vg

Martin is clearly at fault for the first and third goals. First one he decides to just watch it sail by. Even if he gets a call of 'leave it' he's the first man on the front post and he simply has to head it away. No excuses.

As for the third goal. Well, that was just pathetic. Yes Webster slips over in the build up but Martin still manages to f*ck up twice. Firstly, he makes a move to go for the ball and then for some unknown reason to decides to leave it, when it's about a yard away from him and easy to cut out. Then instead of leaving it for Allsopp, who would definitely have got there, he slides in and passes it straight back to their striker.

Absolutely abysmal. Yet no one seems to have said a bad word about him?

CovLis86

I mentioned this in both the match thread and the player ratings thread and did not get a decent answer on either occasion.

Why is Webster getting all the stick when Martin is much worse? Just have a look at the highlights:

Martin is clearly at fault for the first and third goals. First one he decides to just watch it sail by. Even if he gets a call of 'leave it' he's the first man on the front post and he simply has to head it away. No excuses.

As for the third goal. Well, that was just pathetic. Yes Webster slips over in the build up but Martin still manages to f*ck up twice. Firstly, he makes a move to go for the ball and then for some unknown reason to decides to leave it, when it's about a yard away from him and easy to cut out. Then instead of leaving it for Allsopp, who would definitely have got there, he slides in and passes it straight back to their striker.

Have you ever played proper football? If you hear a call from a man behind, you dont just go for it, its their call and you have to listen. Same as the 3rd goal, dont get me wrong, Martin was awful for it, but if Allsop didnt give him the call to leave it, then he had to try get it away. (of which hje did a terrible job of it).

For me Webster has to be taken out the team. He doesnt inspire, he doesnt hold the line well and makes countless mistakes and cant spread the play. Martin is twice the player...and i know, thats not much of a compliment in itself.

Grendel

At this level Webster has not been too bad for large percentages of games. Most of the criticism on here is prejudicial nonsense. Unfortunately as with all league one players he is error prone and his errors tend to lead to goals so he is highlighted.

The other problem is Pressley seems I determined to play identikit centre halves who on the face of it do not seem to naturally complement each other. He did it last season with Seabourne. These have no pace and can be caught flat footed.

Webster hasn't performed any where near as bad as people on here make out - he's just unlucky all his mistakes seem to get punished.

coop

Webster is slow flat footed watch alot of goals conceded last season as well he Is terrible he should never play for ccfc again.But I've no doubt he'll put another international performance for his mate SP.

Grendel

Webster is slow flat footed watch alot of goals conceded last season as well he Is terrible he should never play for ccfc again.But I've no doubt he'll put another international performance for his mate SP.

Also consider the centre halves are always going to be under pressure due to a powder puff midfield which provides no cover in front of them and very poor defensive fullbacks especially on the left side.

stupot07

To be honest, you've got to give Williams some credit for good movement and getting in between the centre halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

SkyBlue_Bear83

To be honest, you've got to give Williams some credit for good movement and getting in between the centre halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Quality delivery as well but our centre halves just stood there looking at each other like lemmings

coop

The midfield was ok last season and Webster was still making it far to easy for the forwards. Imo he just isn't good enough I would much rather have willis in there.

stupot07

The midfield was ok last season and Webster was still making it far to easy for the forwards. Imo he just isn't good enough I would much rather have willis in there.

The midfield was poor defensively without the ball last season, and along with a poor defence conceded 77 league goals.

Grendel

he's not a poor centre half, just unlucky ?

I would disagree.

He's a league one centre half so by definition is poor. Haynes is a poor left back but because he is "one of ours" its fine and dandy that he can't actually defend.

ccfcway

He's a league one centre half so by definition is poor. Haynes is a poor left back but because he is "one of ours" its fine and dandy that he can't actually defend.

Haynes is young, has shown some promise, but I wouldnt have him in the team either if we had a choice, but we don't have anyone fit who can play at left back.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
The through ball for the last is what we miss. Imagine Jackson being put through on goal from a ball like that.

Also, was it me or did Allsopp look like he'd given up as soon as the lad passed him, despite him initially running away from goal? It clearly crossed the line but maybe if he got up that second quicker and ran back rather than hesitated, he could have kept it out? Hard to put too much criticism on him though as it was clearly defensive errors that cost us overall

Gint11

Gonna be honest, 10 of our 11 players are shit. Nouble is the only one with something you can progress with. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulianDarbyFTW

In the dozen games I've seen this season, I have to say that our defenders have looked poor, with Reda being the exception. And the reason that Reda is the exception is because he is no-nonsense - he just boots the ball into row Z when he can't see a better option. Too many times we play suicidal football at the back, assuming that Webster and Martin (or whoever happens to be partnering him at the back) are Maldini and Beckenbauer. They tippy-tap on the edge of our own box, then pass to the defensive midfielders, who pass it back, and on and on it goes until someone makes a cock-up. It's inevitable that the cock-up will happen, because they are League 1 players for a reason.

As kids, we were taught not to play balls along our own 18 yard box, yet this happens week in, week out. We were told to hoof it if to safety rather than try and be clever and make a mistake. Week in, week out they try and be clever and make a mistake. We don't have Ferdinand or Terry or Cahill. We have 2x Titus Bramble wannabees, yet Pressley either can't see it, or doesn't want to see it. As a centre-back himself, I don't understand his blindness in this area. And against Swindon, the free-kick they had when we lined up on the 18 yard line was a joke - it was like the defenders had been randomly scattered around in something that vaguely resembled the drunks in a queue outside a nightclub. Swindon played a much higher line than we did, tackled better than we did, wanted it more than we did. They defended as if their lives were on the line. We just surrendered. And that is unforgivable when you have 6,000 people paying 20 quid a pop to support you.

torchomatic

We've seen some superb defending from MMM and Tony today. Maybe they could pass on a few tips.

coop

Sp says Webster has been instrumental in some of our games this season he's also been fucking shit in most of them.

Sky Blue Kid

I mentioned this in both the match thread and the player ratings thread and did not get a decent answer on either occasion. Why is Webster getting all the stick when Martin is much worse? Just have a look at the highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyV9tlj2Vg Martin is clearly at fault for the first and third goals. First one he decides to just watch it sail by. Even if he gets a call of 'leave it' he's the first man on the front post and he simply has to head it away. No excuses. As for the third goal. Well, that was just pathetic. Yes Webster slips over in the build up but Martin still manages to f*ck up twice. Firstly, he makes a move to go for the ball and then for some unknown reason to decides to leave it, when it's about a yard away from him and easy to cut out. Then instead of leaving it for Allsopp, who would definitely have got there, he slides in and passes it straight back to their striker. Absolutely abysmal. Yet no one seems to have said a bad word about him?
Have to disagree with you mate. Martin without doubt was at fault for the 3rd goal, but look again at the first one...Webster looks over his left shoulder and watches the goalscorer run past him into the position between him and Martin and never once tracked him. Have another look!

ccfc unlimited

Sp says Webster has been instrumental in some of our games this season he's also been fucking shit in most of them.
Webster is shocking, he must of felt shamed at having to answer any questions, he has been instrumental at causing us to lose games and Elvis know it without a doubt!

Grendel

Webster is shocking, he must of felt shamed at having to answer any questions, he has been instrumental at causing us to lose games and Elvis know it without a doubt!

To be fair some if the attempts at defending the council by the usual council crew over the last 24 hours has been far worse.

Webster is Bobby Moore by.comparison.

coop

To be fair some if the attempts at defending the council by the usual council
crew over the last 24 hours has been far worse.

Webster is Bobby Moore by.comparison.
What has that got to do with Webster being one of the worst defender's ive seen in a city shirt.

Grendel

What has that got to do with Webster being one of the worst defender's ive seen in a city shirt.

I could name 10 who were worse without even having to think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread