We want to go home. (2 Viewers)

covcity4life

well sorry to be different but i liked both grounds lol

highfield road for nostalgic memories and tbh as i was a kid stuff like parking and tight seats was never an issue obviosuly. pole infront was some times though lol. remember a good atmosphere though and was cool walking up through the side streets

ricoh a better view and despite what people say did have a great atmosphere when filled, also great location in best part of city with least chavs and plebs :)

no need to pick a side,they were both ours(well kinda lol)

clint van damme

dont be butthurt

of course i can understand it, i have been games with mates and drank, and i can go games without touching a drop

either way the game is the most important part

yet there seem to be many that see a game without drinking at pubs as a bad experience. which means the football comes second whether they like to admit it or not

would you agree?

I have attended plenty of games without drinking particularly at the Ricoh but I work all week on a match day I want to meet up with some mates have and have a laugh, if people don't then fair enough but match day is my time and I'm going to make a day of it whenever possible.
Not sure I agree with you last statement, for me if it's one or the other then I'll go game. I think there are people who simply wouldn't go if they couldn't drink so it 's not a case of seeing it as a bad experience, they just wouldn't bother if they couldn't drink.

hill83

dont be butthurt

of course i can understand it, i have been games with mates and drank, and i can go games without touching a drop

yet there seem to be many that see a game without drinking at pubs as a bad experience. which means the football comes second whether they like to admit it or not

would you agree?

Yep I’ll freely admit I go for the bev.

Liquid Gold

I just don't like souless bowl stadiums with nothing around. Going to MK it was a trek to get there from the nearest pub and it's just sat in a retail park exactly like the ricoh. Stadium MK is a much better stadium too, they actually finished the outside and the concourse, seats and layout are far superior.

Give me Fratton Park, Selhurst Park, Goodison, Roots Hall etc. over Pride Park, Riverside, St Mary's, New Meadow and whatever Colchester's is called now any day.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Birmingham City FC started out as Small Heath Allience. But St Andrews is not in Small Heath, it is in Bordesley.
in the case of HR absence has made the heart grow fonder. In the case of the Ricoh absence has hammered home what a complete soulless shit hole it is, albeit one we desperately need to be playing in.
I loved Highfield Road but also the Ricoh. Oh and can you explain to me how it is soulless and how is it a shit hole?

Where's Jarni?

As a Sky Blue in his mid-forties, my fondest memories are of Highfield Road, but I think we need to accept fellas that there is a whole generation coming through who have no memory of HR, and for them the Ricoh is home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyBlueDom26

As a Sky Blue in his mid-forties, my fondest memories are of Highfield Road, but I think we need to accept fellas that there is a whole generation coming through who have no memory of HR, and for them the Ricoh is home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im 21 and my first game was at highfield road, always remember them playing the final countdown before the players came out haha was brill! Although its no Highfield road the Ricoh is still our home and we need to get back

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Sour grapes? The ricoh is an excellent ground.
It’s really not. Are the facilities better than Highfield Road? Yes. But the area is a bigger shithole (I know because I used to live there)

If anything it’s a carbon copy of the walkers and st Mary’s so Has no individuality. The roof is designed to help atmosphere but the problem is only when it’s full.

the away end is constructed poorly, so even if we had a big crowd but small away following we couldn’t sell behind the goal. One of the rows in the main stand is poorly constructed meaning they can sell an entire row. One below the boxes - again. I know this because my season ticket used to be in the corner

Tommo1993

I just don't like souless bowl stadiums with nothing around. Going to MK it was a trek to get there from the nearest pub and it's just sat in a retail park exactly like the ricoh. Stadium MK is a much better stadium too, they actually finished the outside and the concourse, seats and layout are far superior.

Give me Fratton Park, Selhurst Park, Goodison, Roots Hall etc. over Pride Park, Riverside, St Mary's, New Meadow and whatever Colchester's is called now any day.

Tbh I’d put MK Dons as one of the most boring away days in English football.

Tommo1993

It’s really not. Are the facilities better than Highfield Road? Yes. But the area is a bigger shithole (I know because I used to live there)

If anything it’s a carbon copy of the walkers and st Mary’s so Has no individuality. The roof is designed to help atmosphere but the problem is only when it’s full.

the away end is constructed poorly, so even if we had a big crowd but small away following we couldn’t sell behind the goal. One of the rows in the main stand is poorly constructed meaning they can sell an entire row. One below the boxes - again. I know this because my season ticket used to be in the corner

If we were getting the gates, I’d have the same layout as Leicester. Have the away fans tucked in the corner. Blocks 23/24/25 area. I reckon it gives the home fans an edge.

The coventrian

But the area outside is an irrelevance. Most modern grounds are the same these days. I prefer the old school grounds to but highfield road is long gone. St Mary's is pretty poor. I was there for the Kosovo game the other week and I didn't think much to it. Good fan zone outside though.
The atmosphere crap at the ricoh cos of a total lack of success. 2 delegations since we've been there. There has been a few good games over the years though,especially the early days when we were in the championship. Owners with ambition would sort that out.
I'm sure the away end could be sorted out and I imagine the seating issue you mentioned has probably happened at any of the new grounds. I imagine it's pretty difficult to get it bang on millimetre perfect for the seating.

PurpleBin

dont be butthurt

would you agree?

I still can't get over the fact that you are a fully grown adult.

Mcbean

Got taken to Derby a couple of times - have to say the concourse at the Ricoh is far bigger , there are more food and drink outlets ( however performance of the staff can nullify this) the vomitries ( :) are also easier to access in and out at the Ricoh ( MK dons is the same extra stairs and turns to get out ) , the seats also had more room than Stans and mine was padded - i felt the major problem with the Ricoh is that you are looking on to the very empty looking main stand and of course the robbery that is the parking situation - Green my arse - when we had a decent crowd it was clearly better - i would like to go back - its double travel time at Stans although as peeps above the parking is ace

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

If we were getting the gates, I’d have the same layout as Leicester. Have the away fans tucked in the corner. Blocks 23/24/25 area. I reckon it gives the home fans an edge.
Think that was asked but It’s not possible without losing a few blocks of segregation.
But the area outside is an irrelevance. Most modern grounds are the same these days. I prefer the old school grounds to but highfield road is long gone. St Mary's is pretty poor. I was there for the Kosovo game the other week and I didn't think much to it. Good fan zone outside though.
The atmosphere crap at the ricoh cos of a total lack of success. 2 delegations since we've been there. There has been a few good games over the years though,especially the early days when we were in the championship. Owners with ambition would sort that out.
I'm sure the away end could be sorted out and I imagine the seating issue you mentioned has probably happened at any of the new grounds. I imagine it's pretty difficult to get it bang on millimetre perfect for the seating.
Total lack of success? There’s teams with less success than us that have created more atmosphere. The roof is designed to hold sound but only with 30k plus crowds. If it’s not full it’s garbage. It needed to be more enclosed and closer to the pitch.

owners with ambition? You were pointing out that the wage bill was too high and should have been slashed before arguing against the rent..

No there is literally a bar between the boxes and the seats - it’s poor, and should never have been signed off

SkyBlueDom26

drunk mate
BlaringBestDamselfly-size_restricted.gif

clint van damme

I loved Highfield Road but also the Ricoh. Oh and can you explain to me how it is soulless and how is it a shit hole?

I can explain how I find it a soulless shit hole, that doesn't mean it isn't for other people.
I just find the match day experience appalling, I have from day one. The fact it's a relatively new build in the middle of a brown field site makes it soulless for me. People go there from wherever they live, spend very little time in the vicinity and leave fairly soon after the match. I remember at HR you could go for a pint after and you'd bump in to different people from different areas you knew for a catch up. Rarely happens at the Ricoh.

That's my experience, though we'd still be back there in a shot if I had my way.

covcity4life

I can explain how I find it a soulless shit hole, that doesn't mean it isn't for other people.
I just find the match day experience appalling, I have from day one. The fact it's a relatively new build in the middle of a brown field site makes it soulless for me. People go there from wherever they live, spend very little time in the vicinity and leave fairly soon after the match. I remember at HR you could go for a pint after and you'd bump in to different people from different areas you knew for a catch up. Rarely happens at the Ricoh.

That's my experience, though we'd still be back there in a shot if I had my way.
sobriety is tough huh?

clint van damme

"Sour grapes? The ricoh is an excellent ground."

"Wouldn't no as I refuse to give the franchise my hard earned."

he's at it again!!

Users who are viewing this thread