We need an appointment by the weekend (1 Viewer)

theferret

This isn't the time for a long drawn out interview process that takes weeks, aimed at getting the 'right man'. Firstly, there is no guarantee that process will get the right man, and if it does, there's no guarantee he'll stick around anyway.

We need a quick appointment. They should go with their gut, get someone in and say you have a short term contract until the end of the season, get us promoted and make yourself a hero, or at least have a damn good go at it. If it doesn't work out, then we can review it in the summer, and if needs be THEN begin the process of finding a long term replacement.

There are loads of out of work managers who would jump at the chance of managing this club until the end of the season. Get someone in and let's regroup quickly.

Skyblue4u

The season is over. We won't go up or down and we won't win the JPT. What is the rush? I'd rather they take the time to find the right man than make a panic appointment we end up paying off when he gets sacked

hill83

The season is over. We won't go up or down and we won't win the JPT. What is the rush? I'd rather they take the time to find the right man than make a panic appointment we end up paying off when he gets sacked

I agrree with you, but he did say short term contract.

Edit: Not about the season being over. It's far from over. But I do agree we shouldn't panic.

Last edited:

ccfc92

i assume this has come out of nowhere for SISU. they chose to get rid of AT, so had plans in the pipeline, and look how long that took to get MR :facepalm:

theferret

The season is over. We won't go up or down and we won't win the JPT. What is the rush? I'd rather they take the time to find the right man than make a panic appointment

Rubbish, the season is far from over. There is more than a quarter of it left. Two wins on the bounce we are right back in it. Unless you think Yeovil, Sheffield United et al are so much better than us that they are uncatchable?

This is the best position we have been in at this stage of the season for years. To give up would be madness.

This isn't the time for a long drawn out interview process that takes weeks, aimed at getting the 'right man'. Firstly, there is no guarantee that process will get the right man, and if it does, there's no guarantee he'll stick around anyway.

We need a quick appointment. They should go with their gut, get someone in and say you have a short term contract until the end of the season, get us promoted and make yourself a hero, or at least have a damn good go at it. If it doesn't work out, then we can review it in the summer, and if needs be THEN begin the process of finding a long term replacement.

There are loads of out of work managers who would jump at the chance of managing this club until the end of the season. Get someone in and let's regroup quickly.

We need an appointment by the weekend!!! really!!!

You would struggle to get a doctors appointment in two days in this day and age let alone a football manager. If he goes then expect this process to take at least a month.

Ashdown1

We'll go through Bury, Crewe away, Crewe at home and Bournemouth away before they coax Oggy off that bench and try and persuade a Gary Megson alike to take the reins...............season over !!!

fernandopartridge

Simon Grayson is the only man who fits the bill. 3 promotions from L1 with 3 different clubs, be a nice irony if he got City promoted as Robins is relegated with Huddersfield imo.

shropshirecov

You would struggle to get a doctors appointment in two days in this day and age let alone a football manager. If he goes then expect this process to take at least a month.

Taking weeks to approve a successor to thorn worked a treat didn't it! We're eighth in the league with 14 games to go! get someone in till the end of the season and have a crack at it.

theferret

If you take the view that the season is over, then yes, let's go through that whole first interview/second interview bollocks all over again (other clubs make very quick appointments by the way), and then we can all pat ourselves on the back safe in the knowledge that the process has been thorough, he is fit and well, has passed his CRB checks and is an all round good bloke.

Or, we can do what other clubs do in this position (and they wouldn't fucking give up for a start), get an experienced man in quick on a short term contract until the end of the season and let's see what he can do.

CovMatt1987

someone in by the weekend? say this does all get tied up and done by today - you are saying they have two days to take the applications, go through, review them all, pick the best ones, contact them, set up interviews, conduct interviews, decide the best candidates, conduct more interviews, pick a man, make an offer, negotiate, and get him in. Jesus! what should they do with the rest of their spare time before the weekend!?!

rushing an appointment is absolutely the worst thing this football club could do if he goes. Look at the difference the manager has made this season. Thorn - great League 1 squad, bottom of the league. Robins - similarly great league 1 squad, most in form team in the league that shoots up the table.

we have the squad to get out of this league - and should have the squad to do that again next season. the best way to ruin that is by rushing and potentially getting the wrong guy just because we cant bare not to have someone by Saturday! I agree even with the long process we may not get the right guy - but lets at least give ourselves a chance man!

theferret

someone in by the weekend? say this does all get tied up and done by today - you are saying they have two days to take the applications, go through, review them all, pick the best ones, contact them, set up interviews, conduct interviews, decide the best candidates, conduct more interviews, pick a man, make an offer, negotiate, and get him in. Jesus! what should they do with the rest of their spare time before the weekend!?!

rushing an appointment is absolutely the worst thing this football club could do if he goes. Look at the difference the manager has made this season. Thorn - great League 1 squad, bottom of the league. Robins - similarly great league 1 squad, most in form team in the league that shoots up the table.

we have the squad to get out of this league - and should have the squad to do that again next season. the best way to ruin that is by rushing and potentially getting the wrong guy just because we cant bare not to have someone by Saturday! I agree even with the long process we may not get the right guy - but lets at least give ourselves a chance man!

Do people really not understand the concept of a short term contract until the end of the season to be reviewed in the summer? Appointing a manager is a lottery anyway. Another stupid recruitment process is no more likely to get the best man than it is to make a quick decision. Most clubs don't do that anyway, THEY decide who they want and then make an approach to THEM. We're not looking for a fucking call centre manager. Why are we so backwards thinking?

Last edited:

philmcc

Simon Grayson for me...also Eric Black has always been a popular choice.... ideal opportunity to get either considering they are out of work...this could be done quickly assuming there is interest on all sides, one thing to thank mark robins for he has surely made us a more attractive proposition to a better calibre of manager than say paul ince or phil brown...

covan

Just to your top bit. It wouldn't have to be this technical. When clubs call upon an experienced stand in its usually done over a few phone calls. And if you really think it takes time. Why is it that loads of clubs manage to swing it in a few days.

CovMatt1987

give me these examples of clubs who lose a manager and then get a new one in within a matter of days. I bet most if not all of your examples are teams who SACKED there manager. guess what that means - they had the new guy lined up and ready to come in.

Our manager is leaving us, meaning we are not ready to just replace them with a new guy already waiting. who are these experienced stand ins who are both available and waiting in the wings ready to come and save our season? come on - throw me some of the names out. Id love to hear them.

we need to get the right guy - and unfortunately, from this kind of situation that takes time. Its just the way it is. dont think I have given up on this season by a long stretch - I havent at all. but getting someone in by the weekend doesnt guarentee we will win on saturday. not having someone in doesnt guarentee we cant win either. I just dont want to see us get the wrong guy in

theferret

give me these examples of clubs who lose a manager and then get a new one in within a matter of days. I bet most if not all of your examples are teams who SACKED there manager. guess what that means - they had the new guy lined up and ready to come in.

Our manager is leaving us, meaning we are not ready to just replace them with a new guy already waiting. who are these experienced stand ins who are both available and waiting in the wings ready to come and save our season? come on - throw me some of the names out. Id love to hear them.

we need to get the right guy - and unfortunately, from this kind of situation that takes time. Its just the way it is. dont think I have given up on this season by a long stretch - I havent at all. but getting someone in by the weekend doesnt guarentee we will win on saturday. not having someone in doesnt guarentee we cant win either. I just dont want to see us get the wrong guy in

Just take a look at the list of names already in the betting. Most are out of work, most are very experienced and most would jump at the chance of being manager until the end of the season. It just needs a phone call.

We are 8th with 14 games to go. It would be CRIMINAL if we didn't have a go at that by getting someone in quick. Let's do the call centre manager recruitment malarky in the summer when we have time, and who knows, the stand-in might turn out to be the perfect choice after all so we might not need to.

beduth

I'd be more than happy with Ian Adkins.

Skyblue4u

" give me these examples of clubs who lose a manager and then get a new one in within a matter of days "

Huddersfield? :facepalm:

shropshirecov

I can't believe some people think we should take our time, when thorn left, beating Birmingham in the cup gave false hope that Shaw would be the answer, which cost us points in the long run and we were playing catch up. Get someone in ASAP, maybe not before Saturday, but soon and let's have a go at it! PUSB

theferret

I can't believe some people think we should take our time, when thorn left, beating Birmingham in the cup gave false hope that Shaw would be the answer, which cost us points in the long run and we were playing catch up. Get someone in ASAP, maybe not before Saturday, but soon and let's have a go at it! PUSB

Totally agree. 8th with 14 games to go, and some people have given up and think we should go into the next 3 or 4 games with Oggy in charge.

Is it any wonder this club has failed to finish in the top 6 for 40 odd years when people throw in the towel so easily. The weekend might be pushing it, but we need somebody before the Crewe game at the latest.

CovMatt1987

I just dont understand why we need it rushed by this weekend? getting someone in by the weekend is neither going to guarantee us a win nor does a caretaker boss guarantee a loss.

Surely you agree ideally we should take our time in the appointment? The answer to our problems isnt just there waiting to come into the club on the basis of one phone call. I appreciate the sentiment behind getting someone in by the weekend - if we could, then great. its just not realistic for us to expect to get the right man in at such short notice.

We try and make it sound so easy to get someone in on a short term contract til the end of the season - its not that easy. the person has to be identified, and then have to work out terms for both sides. earliest that would be done is what, late friday? thats if they really really rushed it all (and bare in mind - our manager hasnt even gone yet). Why would we decide a guy who has no knowledge of the squad, players, abilities, systems, etc.....is the right man to take us into a game just a few hours later?

CovMatt1987

" give me these examples of clubs who lose a manager and then get a new one in within a matter of days "

Huddersfield? :facepalm:

what did I say mate - SACKED!!!! they sacked their manager, they obviously had a plan of who they wanted well in the works. our manager is leaving us, totally different situation. and even then - Grayson was sacked on the 24th January - best part of three weeks ago. hardly a couple of days is it??

CovMatt1987

what did we do in that situation? we went through the proper process - had managers apply, picked our favourite candidates, interviewed and thought about it, and got the man who turned our form completely around. which took us a few weeks - not 72 hours or less

theferret

I just dont understand why we need it rushed by this weekend? getting someone in by the weekend is neither going to guarantee us a win nor does a caretaker boss guarantee a loss.

Surely you agree ideally we should take our time in the appointment? The answer to our problems isnt just there waiting to come into the club on the basis of one phone call. I appreciate the sentiment behind getting someone in by the weekend - if we could, then great. its just not realistic for us to expect to get the right man in at such short notice.

We try and make it sound so easy to get someone in on a short term contract til the end of the season - its not that easy. the person has to be identified, and then have to work out terms for both sides. earliest that would be done is what, late friday? thats if they really really rushed it all (and bare in mind - our manager hasnt even gone yet). Why would we decide a guy who has no knowledge of the squad, players, abilities, systems, etc.....is the right man to take us into a game just a few hours later?

I cannot understand your position one bit, we are talking about an experienced CARETAKER. What you are suggesting is that we repeat the recruitment process from last time which means we go into a massive couple of weeks with the team managed by a goalkeeping coach.

If not appointed by the weekend, then let's at least have a name in the frame to keep the players focused. We might well win on Saturday with the kit man in charge, it doesn't escape the fact that to give ourselves a chance we need someone in quick for the rest of the season.

shropshirecov

Giving a manager the maximum chance of salvaging this season is what we need to do. A 3 month contract, reevaluated at the end of the season is hardly a risk either.
Faffing around ain't an option.

CovMatt1987

why is doing it the right way faffing? I agree on urgency needed - i strongly hope the club is already on the case identifying replacements, I just dont like the idea of saying we need to rush and get someone in by the weekend, not if that is the wrong person. you look at any club in this situation - if a manger comes in within the last day or so before a game, they are likely to sit in the stands and not get involved in that game, because they just dont have the position to best prepare players they dont know for a game in a day.

The most important thing for this football club right now is ensuring they get the right manager in for the long term. hopefully that can be done sooner rather then later - but either way it is the priority

shropshirecov

There isn't time for drawing up and identifying a short list, doing second interviews and all that, even then it's not a guarantee you'd get the right man. Just give it to someone till the June and let them try and save our season.
What don't you get about that?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm assuming it would go to whoever finished second to Robins when he was hired

They have already interviewed lots of candidates this season so hopefully they will be quicker about it this time

Users who are viewing this thread